Sign in to follow this  
christopher

rift close

before the last heart is burned can there be a 80 percent vote to close at least , people are shutting it when they feel like it , and theres no stopping them 

5 hours ago, christopher said:

before the last heart is burned can there be a 80 percent vote to close at least , people are shutting it when they feel like it , and theres no stopping them 

Unfortunately this has been a consequence of people doing rifts for the rift goal, they want it closed ASAP because well....who wants to do 100 rifts? No one likes them, community has been vocal against a journal goal with such absurd numbers so people are taking every shortcut possible to do them. 

If rifts were changed or journal goal made to a more manageable number maybe people would enjoy them. But trust me, after you do 60 rifts....they are nothing but a sour experience you just do to get that journal goal done fast. 

• Like 2

Only if 4th wave is optional.. nobody likes it, it's too long with 3 anyway and it's balanced around people there.. 4th wave is unnecessary.

The reason people skip rifts is because the event is boring as hell, they go there to farm rift points and work SLOWLY for that insane 100 rift closing goal.

21 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Only if 4th wave is optional..

I don't think more than 0.1% of the playerbase ever asked for a 4th wave. It was an unnecessary addition to an already grindy event. Put it differently as a thought experiment, remove rifts from journal goals and see how many people will bother doing them. 

43 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Only if 4th wave is optional.. nobody likes it, it's too long with 3 anyway and it's balanced around people there.. 4th wave is unnecessary.

The reason people skip rifts is because the event is boring as hell, they go there to farm rift points and work SLOWLY for that insane 100 rift closing goal.

The question is how much of the PvE server population goes on rift event?

I usually see the same names from various servers popping up on rifts. So i'm guessing it's about 10 - 20% of Wurm's population actively doing them on a weekly basis. The rest, not sure, probably get tired after 2-3 rifts. 

its the action part of wurm what else is there ? pvp ha, i see many players who depending on the time its on ,do go and enjoy them half the fun is getting there , getting u out of your deed to do something, tell the scale n drake chasers/followers there stuff is boring, tell impalongs its boring ,i find them all to be a adventure , theres been heaps of people who have enjoyed rifts , half the reason u have boats to go to other servers rifts, horses why do u need if u stay at your deed, armour n weapons who u going to fight on your deed , this is the soul of wurm lets make it more actiony not kill it off ,as a newbee u are scared to go to a rift can u make it out alive do u no what ur doing ,do u socialize ? prob only place u do a bit, so forget the 100 rifts ,big deal itll come just enjoy, do the end game warmaster, do u half build a home /deed ? the rushers deeds i see everywere they are not here there done n bored n gone

I stopped going to rifts after the same person ran in, tagged each creature & dragged the entire wave to the fenced in healing area and afk'd until the next wave so they could get max rift points.

8 hours ago, christopher said:

its the action part of wurm what else is there ? pvp ha, i see many players who depending on the time its on ,do go and enjoy them half the fun is getting there , getting u out of your deed to do something, tell the scale n drake chasers/followers there stuff is boring, tell impalongs its boring ,i find them all to be a adventure , theres been heaps of people who have enjoyed rifts , half the reason u have boats to go to other servers rifts, horses why do u need if u stay at your deed, armour n weapons who u going to fight on your deed , this is the soul of wurm lets make it more actiony not kill it off ,as a newbee u are scared to go to a rift can u make it out alive do u no what ur doing ,do u socialize ? prob only place u do a bit, so forget the 100 rifts ,big deal itll come just enjoy, do the end game warmaster, do u half build a home /deed ? the rushers deeds i see everywere they are not here there done n bored n gone

I never take my boat to a rift.. I sail my horse in a cage and I do that..

Spoiler

RARELY

Doing rifts on home servers is meh, spending extra time to go to other servers takes more even more time; rewards are useless and havent changed in years, 'adventure' - HA, boring fight, boring reward, annoying moaning sounds from the rift spawns - everybody mutes game sounds for this event.

@christopheruse proper sentences, paragraphs etc., that is really unpleasant to read.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, christopher said:

no

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zethreal said:

I stopped going to rifts after the same person ran in, tagged each creature & dragged the entire wave to the fenced in healing area and afk'd until the next wave so they could get max rift points.

you don't get points unless they die within 4 tiles of you and you were in combat with it within 5 minutes of it dying so i'm not sure that's how that works chief

We usually do vote to close or not, but sometimes there are new people there that don't ask. It happens... You hate the 100 rifts part of the journal? There are many parts of the journal that take a bit of time to complete, but I think it is worth it. You will get your cape when you finish. I completed the 100 rifts a while ago. I still attend rifts now, because there is a group of us that actually like to go and we usually have a blast.  I took two new people today that only had like 20 fight skill. hehehehe I was so worried about them, but they had a blast and was asking to go again before we even left the server. The 4th wave is a bit long and could be shortened, but just because you don't like the rifts does not mean others feel the same. :P 

Edited by ShenjiWurm
  • Like 1

Nice of you Shenji! 

Also rifts are filled with ... rude people and ######s. How many times I've been mining a rift crystal and someone just swung by with his rare 100 woa pickaxe and "stole" all of the rewards from it. 

I really hate this kind of "protectionism" crap on freedom where rudeness is protected by not being able to bash someone's head in when they take things. Yes the obvious counterargument is to move to pvp servers and do rifts there.... Which is a shitty argument because rifts don't usually get done on pvp servers & even if they were, how many rifts would one have to do on chaos before they reach 100 rifts? See the issue right there. 

It's just an extension of a system made to offer too much protection to people and its exploited by pricks. All for what? 4-5 more rift crystals? 

4 hours ago, elentari said:

Nice of you Shenji! 

Also rifts are filled with ... rude people and ######s. How many times I've been mining a rift crystal and someone just swung by with his rare 100 woa pickaxe and "stole" all of the rewards from it. 

I really hate this kind of "protectionism" crap on freedom where rudeness is protected by not being able to bash someone's head in when they take things. Yes the obvious counterargument is to move to pvp servers and do rifts there.... Which is a shitty argument because rifts don't usually get done on pvp servers & even if they were, how many rifts would one have to do on chaos before they reach 100 rifts? See the issue right there. 

It's just an extension of a system made to offer too much protection to people and its exploited by pricks. All for what? 4-5 more rift crystals? 

At this point I'd be happy if we bought rift mats of various QL via the rift points shop instead tbh

• Like 1

Rift scouts should just count towards the 100.

I hate time-gated stuff.

• Like 2

uh, -1 on the OP. I don't go to rifts unless they're close by, and living on Xanadu, that means I go to very few. Don't care about the journal, but I'm not going to stand around for an extra half hour or more waiting for people to get their #### together to take out the warmaster. By the time the 4th wave rolls around I've been ready to get it done and over with for awhile. So yeah, I'm sacc'ing hearts as fast as possible.

10 hours ago, elentari said:

Yeah, or after you set there and kill a turret and they walk up and block you and take it! I take them as fast as I can and share with others. The main people that rift with me do the same, we all make sure everyone gets something good ql. But sucks when people come just to get the mats takes them all for themselves.  I literally get so pissed off that I scream at them that they are freaking rude hehe

On 8/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, zethreal said:

That must be years ago. With the changes after the jackal launch it is not possible anymore to drag a large number of mobs to the safe pen, much less the whole wave. And tagged mobs are only awarded when max 4 tiles away from when they die.

With the old rifts, there were indeed rude or reckless players enjoying having large numbers of rift mobs on their back which they either malevolently or in panic dragged upon others, or mounts and hitches not penned. The latter is not possible anymore as rift mobs stopped killing every creature, the further at least very hard as not all mobs jump on one player. As to people idling in the safe pen other than for healup, bio break etc., I did not observe anything of that kind during the last years. Btw. if someone whacks her or his 20 or 30 points then goes afk, I don't feel in the position to criticize. They do not take anything away from me.

@ShenjiWurmOk sometimes struggle for rift mats may get out of hand. To my impression it became much more relaxed, compared to the years before. I usually look for 20-30 mats, 10 of each kind if possible, then stop. 

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

@ShenjiWurmOk sometimes struggle for rift mats may get out of hand. To my impression it became much more relaxed, compared to the years before. I usually look for 20-30 mats, 10 of each kind if possible, then stop. 

You know what would solve this?  

2 possibilities that I might post on the suggestions forums. 

1. You have to have a mininmum participation in rift. When it closes you can mine / chop a max of 3 times from every crystal / stone/ wood. If you fail at gathering said mats 3 times you can't harvest anymore. This places importance on having skills to gather said material. 

Here's the kicker. The rift crystals for example don't dissapear upon failing. Each player gets 3 attempts, then done. No one can "harvest steal" the mats from other players. However you can't be elligible to harvest in the first place if your participation wasn't at least at 50. 

2. Option b is to simply give out more mats at the end of rift based on participation points and remove rift crystals / stones / wood altogether. This way no more grief happens. 

ive been to hundreds of rifts but have never gathered at the end , that stuff should be given out evenly to the people who do the most fighting only , now finn can u read that ok . ps your music picks are like my sentences unpleasant

58 minutes ago, christopher said:

ive been to hundreds of rifts but have never gathered at the end , that stuff should be given out evenly to the people who do the most fighting only , now finn can u read that ok . ps your music picks are like my sentences unpleasant

Sounds like "your" problem, lots of music tastes, yours is only one.
Bad grammar, you could improve or pick a fight over internet slang use and broken punctuation defying all rules, what a rebel.

3 hours ago, elentari said:

You know what would solve this?  

2 possibilities that I might post on the suggestions forums. 

1. You have to have a mininmum participation in rift. When it closes you can mine / chop a max of 3 times from every crystal / stone/ wood. If you fail at gathering said mats 3 times you can't harvest anymore. This places importance on having skills to gather said material. 

Here's the kicker. The rift crystals for example don't dissapear upon failing. Each player gets 3 attempts, then done. No one can "harvest steal" the mats from other players. However you can't be elligible to harvest in the first place if your participation wasn't at least at 50. 

2. Option b is to simply give out more mats at the end of rift based on participation points and remove rift crystals / stones / wood altogether. This way no more grief happens. 

You'll end up with fo priests getting the best rewards x2, point score isn't related to how useful you were during the rift.

AFAIK once the rift closes the resources are free to gather by anyone, I think at the start of it all - there was a talk about possibly tying the score to gathering.. but probably for good that wasn't a thing.

On PvE servers.. if somebody "steals" from "your" node, you just get high skill on woodcutting/mining/prospecting, get rare/supreme high ql and woa pickaxe/hatchet and walk around that shameless gatherer and steal it's nodes also! In the end you'll just end up wasting time chasing somebody to grief it, rather than gathering 2-3 nodes completely on your own.

If pve content annoys you, stick to pvp maps; it's not ideal but it is how it is.. on pve..

Alternatively.. we could have nodes spawned for each person, to be visible and possible to gather by only you, but that opens the good old gap for Alts making it possible to farm way more resources. Is that bad, is that good?

Rift resources have set quality.. even if you tie points to gathering successful actions.. who guarantees you to get all points/actions converted into materials, also you could gather only or mostly low ql materials from the low ql nodes - not ideal situation, as rune creation chance is mostly based on the rift material ql, and less on faith or skill. Which is again odd.. since game is mostly about skill and about improving it to get better..

Per rift.. if you have high skill and good tool to gather.. it's unreasonable to be "greedy" and expect to gather more than 3x nodes, if most people do gather with you at the same time.. there's just not enough material to keep all gathering for long, nodes melt fast with a big gathering group. (personal observation)

* my prospecting sucks.. so I normally ignore crystals.. they are useless anyway.. I rarely need or want to rune metal items, most runes are useless.. we have gather runes, rarity, speed, size, weight is questionably useful, age runes.. and rest is used less and less unless you use HHs and charming runes often.. you'd rarely create and use any for long time once you rune your main or spare toolset and vehicles it comes down to helping friends with runes, rather than making use from rift materials in the future.

I'd expect some sort of armor improvement.. power, further resistances, etc.. the usual things mmos normally reuse with new content.. rift event just rusted and dusted in the dirt instead.

23 hours ago, Ekcin said:

That must be years ago. With the changes after the jackal launch it is not possible anymore to drag a large number of mobs to the safe pen, much less the whole wave. And tagged mobs are only awarded when max 4 tiles away from when they die.

With the old rifts, there were indeed rude or reckless players enjoying having large numbers of rift mobs on their back which they either malevolently or in panic dragged upon others, or mounts and hitches not penned. The latter is not possible anymore as rift mobs stopped killing every creature, the further at least very hard as not all mobs jump on one player. As to people idling in the safe pen other than for healup, bio break etc., I did not observe anything of that kind during the last years. Btw. if someone whacks her or his 20 or 30 points then goes afk, I don't feel in the position to criticize. They do not take anything away from me.

My last rift was shortly after they changed to 4 waves ( maybe a month after the change? )