Sign in to follow this  
Baeowulf

Staircase Photos May Be Misleading Some

In the last month we have gotten several questions in CA_Help, and I have received many PMs, regarding how to build staircases on the ground floor without any walls or building plans surrounding them. While I am all for this being possible...it is, unfortunately, not. :(

I think the confusion comes from every staircase shown on the wiki being made in deed planner which does not show external building plans when there are no walls, especially the https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Standalone_staircase "standalone" staircase could be the most misleading because the very name itself may infer it can be "standalone with no buildings" which is not what it means :P

I think it would be silly to redo all the photos, perhaps we can add a note in bold that mentions the photos are for illustrative purposes only and all staircases must have walls or, in the absence of walls, will show the building plan ingame? :)

5 hours ago, Baeowulf said:

In the last month we have gotten several questions in CA_Help, and I have received many PMs, regarding how to build staircases on the ground floor without any walls or building plans surrounding them. While I am all for this being possible...it is, unfortunately, not. :(

I think the confusion comes from every staircase shown on the wiki being made in deed planner which does not show external building plans when there are no walls, especially the https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Standalone_staircase "standalone" staircase could be the most misleading because the very name itself may infer it can be "standalone with no buildings" which is not what it means :P

I think it would be silly to redo all the photos, perhaps we can add a note in bold that mentions the photos are for illustrative purposes only and all staircases must have walls or, in the absence of walls, will show the building plan ingame? :)

Looking at that screenshot, its an upper floor not ground, and should be doable exactly as shown in the image.
-976204020465545654_17082021221322.png

• Like 1

I agree, but it gives the slight illusion that it's a ground floor to some players and it's caused an influx of questions about how to create this on the ground floor

1 minute ago, Baeowulf said:

I agree, but it gives the slight illusion that it's a ground floor to some players and it's caused an influx of questions about how to create this on the ground floor

I agree could do to have the image redone to make it a little more clear that's its not a ground floor being illustrated.

• Like 1

i saw this question recently and i answered that some pictures on the wiki are misleading and it cant be done in the ground floor. i play on very low settings so any image taken by me would look terrible but it would be nice to replace this image.

It really sounds like it's better to redo the pics to be more clear. I'll add that to the list. And yes! Standalone staircase is a weird, weird name.