Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Update on development

27 minutes ago, Jeston said:

1 month anniversary of this post

LMAO

The contest was pretty much entirely on me, and I had a lot of things IRL that delayed things. It is in motion, it's being judged currently, but yes there was a delay due to a lot of important IRL happenings that I had no control over. I had mentioned several times that I was going through IRL stuff and delayed. Please don't blame the entire dev team for it.

16 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

The contest was pretty much entirely on me, and I had a lot of things IRL that delayed things. It is in motion, it's being judged currently, but yes there was a delay due to a lot of important IRL happenings that I had no control over. I had mentioned several times that I was going through IRL stuff and delayed. Please don't blame the entire dev team for it.

I am just curious as to what was the point of the partnership with that esports company then? Samool said that it was done for this contest

So where were they in this? 
And while its understandable that you had RL issues, but for any other product that we pay for, there are replacement persons and plan Bs for this sort of scenario and one person isn’t expected to do everything in case something happens to them. Which it did. 

So yes, the dev and management team IS RESPONSIBLE for not planning it out better and having no alternative replacements for over two months to carry this out with.

For any other paid product, a secondary person would have publicly come out by now and carried the contest on, while apologising for your absence.

Edited by nitram20
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

I am just curious as to what was the point of the partnership with that esports company then? Samool said that it was done for this contest

So where were they in this? 
And while its understandable that you had RL issues, but for any other product that we pay for, there are replacement persons and plan Bs for this sort of scenario and one person isn’t expected to do everything in case something happens to them. Which it did. 

So yes, the dev and management team IS RESPONSIBLE for not planning it out better and having no alternative replacements for over two months to carry this out with.

For any other paid product, a secondary person would have publicly come out by now and carried the contest on, while apologising for your absence.

Plan B doesnt exist in Wurm, not Demona`s fault but to have a contest ended and hanging in the air for a couple of months is not good, same with updates, where other devs normally use the days after to fix bugs etc, wurm just leave a broken update for months, some for years.

im on now to pack everything away and get ready for a longer break(permament if things not getting better)

As a paying costumer i just cant accept this anymore.

• Like 7

I agree it isn’t Demona’s fault and all this pressure isn’t helping either. But there should have been someone else to continue with it, and they should not have left it for a single person to do.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 7:40 AM, Samool said:

We’re planning to release a smaller update next month, before the exploration update, and that will include those animal husbandry tweaks as well as some content additions.

Is any of this still happening?  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

I agree it isn’t Demona’s fault and all this pressure isn’t helping either. But there should have been someone else to continue with it, and they should not have left it for a single person to do.

Demona said above that other staff were also involved with voting and that that was essentially the hold up now.

28 minutes ago, KarlFranz said:

Is any of this still happening?  

Key phrase: "we're planning".  This is not "we will".

• Like 1

I love my VR heaset.  I've done some work-arounds before to try it out in Wurm, and while not having native support damaged the experience a bit, I found it to be quite awesome to actually walk around my deed in VR and feel like I'm really there.

It was a fantastic experience, and VR in Wurm is something I would very much like to have.

That said, I've been bumping my bug report on the bug forum for literally YEARS and even when a dev told me a long time ago it was being worked on, it was never fixed.  I was also very against the AH changes BEFORE they happened, and while lots of people argued with me that it was going to be great and sorely needed, I maintained that there are both far more important priorities for dev time, and that I lacked confidence that the changes would be better than what we already had.

I'm not trying to say I told you so (though, I mean, I totally did), just want to say that while I absolutely love Wurm and still pour hundreds of my hard earned dollars into the game, please start listening to your own freaking players.  WE are the ones opening our wallet and giving you money.  WHY DO YOU REFUSE TO LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE PAYING YOU????

VR?  Yeah, would be great, but no.  Spend some time fixing issues and addressing the concerns of your paying customers, THEN implement the gimmick that will cause the small financial bump before the numbers revert to normal.  If you don't, your gimmick might LOSE you players/money in the longer term as player confidence is fading quickly.

I apologize if my frustration is starting to show.

EDITED TO ADD:
I also want to point out that as someone who started this game on the Epic Cluster, I was there when a badly considered change was implemented despite the ACTUAL PLAYERS ON EPIC all telling you it was a terrible idea, and now my home cluster is a dead wasteland.  I want to point out that DESPITE my home server and my home and my friends ALL being eliminated due to badly thought out changes and failure to listen to the players, I am STILL here and giving you my money.  Please stop making me feel like a sucker, or like I'm in an abusive relationship just waiting for the abuser to finally change and stop abusing me.  Listen to your own freaking players.

Edited by Koreal
  • Like 6

On 9/19/2021 at 12:57 AM, Jeston said:

1 month anniversary of this post

aarghh - there is no such thing as an x-month anniversary unless x is a multiple of 12 and even that is not good English.  "Anniversary" is the annual recurrence of the date of an event, and comes from the concept of "a year turning".  The date one year from today will not be the "one year anniversary" it will be the "first anniversary" of today. 

English only dies if we let it.

Edited by TheTrickster

Can we get any news  ? Please?  I know this thread is monitored since I've noticed deleted posts. 

Any word at all? 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

Hello, It is a pity that Demona had problems irl and I wish her to solve them all.
But we are customers and we pay ....
Wurm is not a philanthropic work ... shareholders make money ...

Regarding the competition deadlines, it's as if you were told when you drop off your broken down car at the garage, "Sorry, sir, but I have problems in my life, come back in 2 months when I can do the repair"
It's making fun of its customers ..... too bad for the game .....
and shameful for the leaders of Wurm who take us for cash cows !!!!!!

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Papotar said:

Hello, It is a pity that Demona had problems irl and I wish her to solve them all.
But we are customers and we pay ....
Wurm is not a philanthropic work ... shareholders make money ...

Regarding the competition deadlines, it's as if you were told when you drop off your broken down car at the garage, "Sorry, sir, but I have problems in my life, come back in 2 months when I can do the repair"
It's making fun of its customers ..... too bad for the game .....
and shameful for the leaders of Wurm who take us for cash cows !!!!!!

I have to somewhat agree here, in case somebody cannot pay for premium because of real life issues he still will instantly loose premium once his premium time runs out.

I also have to make sure that every project I work on is doing well even in my absence. That generally applies to every company.

It also looks problematic since every developer currently seems to have real life stuff going on, hardly see any devs online nowadays.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 11

I seem to be in the minority here as I don't mind the delays and such, hell I back Star Citizen and if they ever do finish that game it'll be a couple DECADES late.

My issue is with priority.  Prior to the breeding changes, I made a post stating that it seemed weird and backwards to prioritize changing a perfectly functional and enjoyable system that we can already use, for something that is likely to be buggy and problematic, when there are far more important things dev time should be spent on in my opinion.

Here we are much later, and though most people seemed to disagree with me at the time, the breeding changes have proven to be a huge problematic time sink and instead of fixing THAT the priority seems to have shifted to VR.

Your players had some awesome suggestions for the breeding thing, but you went your own way.  Your players keep telling you that your priorities don't make sense for the health and longevity of Wurm, but you go your own way.

This has been the case as far back as I can remember.  Originally I figured Rolf's vision was overriding player opinion, but Rolf is long gone.  Now it is clear that they've made a habit of reading our opinions, occasionally responding to one or two, and then going off and doing whatever completely different thing they want regardless.  I can't say for certain that this is really how the process goes, but it is certainly how it looks from player perspective.

MANY MANY mistakes and problems and bad decisions over the years could have been avoided if you'd just listen to your paying customers.  Not just hear them, actually listen.

Imagine if further updates all became collaborative.  Imagine if we got to vote and decide, as players, on dev time priority and implementation of new features.  I'm pretty sure the game would be far more playable, and have a much easier time keeping new players.

I do realize this is a double edged sword.  My favorite MMORPG, EverQuest, was ruined because the devs listened too much to the loudest players and made the game too easy and removed every bit of challenge and risk from standard play.  So I get it, I really do.  Wurm's high difficulty staying difficult is one huge thing in its favor.  However, at this point the remaining players are comfortable with this difficulty and aren't asking for an easier game.  Maybe some QOL updates to remove some tedium, but I have seen very few suggestions aimed at reducing the actual challenges in the game.

Please, work with us instead of against (or in spite of) us.

• Like 2

As was posted earlier today on discord...

Keenan — Today at 9:18 AM
I don't want to step on Demona's toes, but we're working on what is primarily a bug fix patch. No new content, but fixes for things that have been brought up. I don't have the complete list in front of me though.
Tentative date is the 23rd during maintenance.

Now why this is not shared here, why there is continued silence on the official forums I don't understand. The issues with the log in servers today were mentioned and talked about on the discord as well, but I don't see anything here addressing them.

If they want to use discord as the official place to address the community, then they need to make a channel for these things and start posting there. This idea of spreading everything all over the place is unprofessional and nonsense. Pick a medium to use and then promote it and use it please.

I don't think many people care if it is the forums or discord or facebook, sure some would prefer one over the other, but I think we all would welcome the use of something and stick to it and then use it.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, gnomegates said:

As was posted earlier today on discord...

Keenan — Today at 9:18 AM
...No new content, but fixes....

No way... no new content? In Wurm? It's hard to believe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllusiveEn said:

No way... no new content? In Wurm? It's hard to believe!

Ah, but October's skin will come along and a bunch of people will be all gushy and pay more money.  The company will continue to do what pays, and it looks like just releasing skins is sufficient to keep getting paid.

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Ah, but October's skin will come along and a bunch of people will be all gushy and pay more money.  The company will continue to do what pays, and it looks like just releasing skins is sufficient to keep getting paid.

only adding skins is much better than breaking core gameplay...

I for one welcome our reskinned overlords.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, TheTrickster said:

aarghh - there is no such thing as an x-month anniversary unless x is a multiple of 12 and even that is not good English.  "Anniversary" is the annual recurrence of the date of an event, and comes from the concept of "a year turning".  The date one year from today will not be the "one year anniversary" it will be the "first anniversary" of today. 

English only dies if we let it.

People get really confused and upset when you start talking about trimensversaries though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Altered Carbon reference?  😁

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Altered Carbon reference? 

An Altered Carbon reference would be "Take what is offered and let that be enough" or "Make it personal..."

Crez's reference is more a Simpson's reference. 

In any case, I am ok with bugfixes since they are sorely needed. Better to fix what's broken now before releasing a ( potentially ) broken content update. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CreZ said:

only adding skins is much better than breaking core gameplay...

The art dev isn't responsible for mechanics either so being mad about skins is just weird lol

On 9/17/2021 at 2:12 AM, elentari said:

If you look back, you can see a lot of threads over the years of people (including myself) suggesting a cosmetic shop would open in Wurm..

With the idea that the extra influx of cash would help Wurm development. Pretty clear this hasn't been the case. I imagine every cent now goes to GCG who love this current business model of having volunteers develop their game while they only pay a few staff and server costs. 

We also thought the steam release would bring in quite a lot of cash for wurm development. 

We also thought the WU release would bring in resources for WO development. 

With that train of thought....even if VR is somehow an astounding success and brings in high paying customers...will that money actually go to developing content and fixing bugs? 

Comes a point where you can't break a pattern without acknowledging there's a  problem somewhere. Personally I regret I don't have a few million euros around to just buy this game, keep it afloat long enough to develop Wurm 2.0 and migrate people and their skills to new improved lands. 

This is something i harp on all the time

This game gets away by, literally, leeching off it's community for work.

The players make up the moderation staff on almost all fronts, the community manager is a role (and apparently, just a volunteer role) picked from the players. CA's are players. CM's are players. GM's are players. Forum moderators are players. Half the development are just players who were excited about the game and wanted to contribute through volunteer work.

Why would they ever try to pay for anything when they can just get away with only paying for the meager server costs this game requires to run while having the bare minimum of people actually be paid to work on the game? Why do you think they refuse to answer any proper questions about long term employees?

It's just profitable. And of course none of that is going back into the game- they profited a TON off the steam release and you really think any of that has been invested back in, besides soem changes to infrastructure? It;s clear they don't have hope for the future of this game, and are just milking the game for as long as they possibly can.

• Like 8