Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Update on development

3 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

To my knowledge this is the first mention of VR since way before the move to steam. You'll have to forgive the fandom, it is a good dream but as emoo re-iterated.. it shouldn't be the priority.

It's a gimmick aimed at the shareholders of GCG, not the players, nor potential players. 

They're the target audience of this announcement, so comments here mean little, and is also why it's not been shared to news sites. 

• Like 8

If @JustADuckis correct, then CGC has no longterm sustainable financial plan and this is just a cashgrab to raise stocks. Wurm can only suffer from this. Whatever the outcome, we'll be the losers at the end. 

The real exploration update is navigating what's intended and what's a bug ❤️

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:44 AM, Rocklobster said:

"Do you guys not have phones VR headsets?"

Underrated post. Adding VR support to this game? May as well add blockchain support. That is a popular buzzword too, which has little to no connection to wurm.

Seems to me going through the suggestions forum, and prioritising on popularity and ease of implentation would bring back more players than adding support for VR. Currently 2% of Steam users have a VR headset. TWO PERCENCT...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Josso said:

Currently 2% of Steam users have a VR headset. TWO PERCENCT.

And out of those 2% what 0.0005% would be interested in Wurm 😛 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elentari said:

And out of those 2% what 0.0005% would be interested in Wurm 😛 

Fair point. VR users typically have high end PC's and they want to play games that look great. I don't see many of them being excited about loading up a 15 year old game with low res textures.

Sounds like they are making it VR compatable not fully fledged VR where you can interact with your environment.

I dont think it's as time consuming as people are thinking. No other MMO has functioning VR and if we get steamvr it could drive a lot more interest in the game which is desperately needed.

Wurm already gets no new content so I'm personally not worried about it "slowing development"...

Edited by IllusiveEn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JustADuck said:

They're the target audience of this announcement, so comments here mean little, and is also why it's not been shared to news sites. 

Any idea what the reaction would be, if say this info was shared with news sites? Maybe one or two news sites would pen negative reviews of this idea? Or maybe that is the goal, to get free advertising?

On 8/17/2021 at 2:40 PM, Samool said:

We’re planning to release a smaller update next month, before the exploration update, and that will include those animal husbandry tweaks as well as some content additions.

Sounds like my kind of update!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elentari said:

If @JustADuckis correct, then CGC has no longterm sustainable financial plan and this is just a cashgrab to raise stocks. Wurm can only suffer from this. Whatever the outcome, we'll be the losers at the end. 

ex falso quodlibet

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

ex falso quodlibet

Yet: Adventure is the exploration of uncertainty.

11 hours ago, elentari said:

If the queen had balls she'd be the king. 

Don't take what quackery I share as verbatim truth, but it does appear to be the case from our limited visibility. 

• Like 1

Imagine how much work it would take to make fishing consumables (bait, etc.) be able to be stored in an fsb and make BronzeLib runes work with fishing equipment which would fix 70% of the fishing skill (It's the remaining 30% that would require extra thought and changes that would require real coding time).

Now imagine the work it takes to add VR.

As 1000 people have already mentioned, fix what needs to be fixed instead of treating the combat and AH (and possibly any future) update the same way you treated the fishing update; by making weird changes and then ignoring the issues until people forget about them. How is it not obvious that the priorities are backwards?

With the recent track record (fishing, combat and AH update), I don't really have big any hopes for the upcoming exploration update.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

Sadly many amazing suggestions that require minimal work have been ignored for the past year. (example :  add better rewards from fishing, reduce number of rifts in journal goals, add large saddle functionality to bulls, add a better tutorial, fix parent skill skillgains for weapons, etc)   If you browse the suggestion forums, it's just players talking to each other. At least in the past, Retro used to acknowledge some threads but honestly if I'd make a cynical suggestion that would be to remove the entire suggestion thread from forums. It's clear by now no one looks at it, it's being ignored, just like the bugs, just like the broken systems , glitches, etc. I am bitter as ###### right now and It will take something more than a monthly skin or a bedroll (content wise) to make me want to fall in love with wurm again. I really feel cheated that I prolonged by sub just to see an update 3 months later not fixed. Just like I felt about the fishing update. Just like I felt about the 1 way transfer which killed Epic and left 4 dead servers that only served as a reminder "it's ok to abandon" an entire server cluster...

Even if VR is handled by an outside team that doesn't change the fact VR implementation is going to cost money, aka resources. Resources which would be wisely spent on fixing wurm's issues and adding some significant content. Note : I don't call adding a few in game items as significant content, such as a hay bale or donkeys, which by now by the way have ruined horse spawns and no one is looking at this crap. Donkeys are literally overriding horse spawns everywhere but priority is VR....

I don't know what else to say. I am sad as ###### as this is not the game I fell in love with which is made worse by the fact I've always seen Wurm's potential to grow into a huge game, if people in charge were actually committed to taking some risks to make it big. Example : resume support for WU but...what do I know in the end. I'm just another ignored voice on the forums, like everyone else. Note: I don't even play WU but I understand the attraction for people playing on 50x skill gains and 3x item creation / imping timers. 

I understand the staff is going through a rough patch...but then again so are we as paying customers. Reciprocity is how any business works. And right now, the scales tilt in the wrong way.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 7

On 8/17/2021 at 7:40 AM, Samool said:

We’re planning to release a smaller update next month, before the exploration update, and that will include those animal husbandry tweaks as well as some content additions.

Another perplexing foal this morning:

Father - 3 draft traits, 1 Misc

Mother - 3 draft traits, 1 Output

Foal - 2 draft traits, 1 misc, 1 output and 1 combat. 

And, of course, one of the draft traits is the 'easy on its gear' that isn't really a draft trait but appears WAY too often.

I'm going to wait on the smaller update to bother trying any more.  Way too frustrating and too much of a crap shoot.

2 hours ago, Zarwaddim said:

Well, I guess I'll be getting VR now. *Throws money at the screen*

for wurm? give it 3months after release and read a review first

fps is questionably reasonable for vr, hopefully it's way better by vr release, have to be nearly 2x the current.. graphics are good with new god rays etc.. but that taxes the hardware a lot as it is

we're yet to see the java version optimized.. or a new Unity engine alternative(?) with DirectX/shaders(?) and similar graphics to not look like a different game 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JustADuck said:

Well it looks like someone read what I said and decided to share it. 

https://massivelyop.com/2021/08/23/wurm-online-apologizes-for-lapsed-communication-promises-work-on-animal-husbandry-and-vr-support/

Pretty mediocre picture it paints though

thats a much more positive spin then I would expect. from any reporting source.

edit such as only waiting a few days for a response portion specificly.

Edited by Yserin
  • Like 1

It is fair and balanced reporting, even underreporting the waves of disruption the failings in animal update sent across the community, and being quite positive. No news for all of us.

I really don't agree with Wurm going to VR. It's a waste of time and resources.

I'd rather see what Finn is talking about by improving Java or switch to something else, to really upgrading the graphics.

It's a shame hearing from first time players that the graphics are really old. It's making them not stay and leaving.

I'd like to keep new villagers involved with Wurm but they're just not staying.:( 

• Like 1

Excuse me, but somebody calling Wurm graphics "really old" cannot be taken serious. And the VR rant is getting boring.

43 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Excuse me, but somebody calling Wurm graphics "really old" cannot be taken serious. And the VR rant is getting boring.

Ekcin you have to understand this in terms of "games" and not objective time. 10 Years for a human for example might not be that much, but for a dog can be a lifetime. 

Graphics have advanced by leaps and bounds since 2011. And by even more leaps and bounds since 2005-2011.

Wurm IS beautiful compared to what it was when it started. But compared to a lot that's on the market? It has some competition. Every new game with fancy graphics subtly conditions the casual gamer marker to expect fancy graphics from each game. And when they see a game like Wurm, they see ugly graphics compared to what they see right now. Now for people like me who don't give a dish about graphics but instead focus on story, gameplay and mechanics, graphics are tertiary. Wurm isn't for casual people, however you want to put it. It's grindy, it has a lot of frustration, it has a steep learning curve, it can be punishing, it's the Dark Souls of grindy - mmo- sandbox games. 

Wurm however has backend problems when it comes to its code, its memory and realistically while I'm sure it can survive in Java, Wurm can never thrive in it. 

I'd have bought prem for 5 years if the owners would have announced they'd be working on re-releasing Wurm in a new client, preferably with a real 3d client, not the simulated 3d we have in Wurm. 

In terms of game design, something that came out 10 years ago might as well have came up 50 years ago. Technology has a different timescale than our human perception. 

So when people call Wurm graphics "ugly" they aren't wrong, it's how their perception has been conditioned by years of publishers pushing out shiny looking games (in a broken state, see Cyberpunk for reference). They are ugly compared to many other games. Those reviews will most of the time be left by casual gamers, but let's face it, when the majority of gamers today are casual, don't be surprised a good chunk of reviews will be "negative". 

• Like 5

I would like to see a legitimate roadmap for product and development instead of a random post here and there.

Why does everything have to be so secretive--very honest question. Why does wurm development have to be masked in mystery.  

• Like 6