Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Update on development

Hi everyone,

First off, apologies for the lack of communication coming from us recently. I have personally been in a life situation where I couldn’t do a good enough job to keep you all up to date, but that’s not an excuse for not being prepared for it, as we were still lacking a community manager contractor (please remember Demona was still a volunteer). Fortunately others have stepped in to help out - thanks a lot Keenan ❤️

Anyways, let’s get to the things we’re working on.

Obviously we’re not too happy with the current state of animal husbandry, and we’ve got multiple tweaks pending for the next update we release, including large changes to how traits are passed down (more likely to be passed down rather than replaced with random ones), lowering the chance of passing down negative traits as we’ve decided it was a bit too harsh, as well as significantly reducing the chance of getting traits not relevant to the animal, such as resource yield traits on animals that don’t produce any resources.

We’re planning to release a smaller update next month, before the exploration update, and that will include those animal husbandry tweaks as well as some content additions.

To fix the communication issues we’ve been having here a bit, we’ll be looking at getting some extra Community Managers on board to help with things, and until that time I’ll try to keep you all updated a bit better than how we’ve done recently.

Lastly, while this might be a bit of unexpected news, it’s something we’ve teased in the past, long long ago, in one of the news posts - we’ll be starting development on adding VR functionality to Wurm, and while we can’t release any further details on it yet, we don’t expect it to derail development on the content features we’ve announced. Other than this feature, the last roadmap we posted is still relevant, and so there’s more exciting stuff to look forward to.

Thanks for the attention, and keep on Wurming!

• Like 38

Thank you for the communication!

And Wurm in VR?!  (If it's highly functional and doesn't distract from regular development much) Yes Please!

Edited by MordosKull

Thank you for the update and communication! I look forward to seeing how things move forward. 

VR to me seems to be a weird path to go down with Wurm, but should be interesting.

Thanks again and Happy Wurming!

18 minutes ago, Samool said:

To fix the communication issues we’ve been having here a bit, we’ll be looking at getting some extra Community Managers on board to help with things, and until that time I’ll try to keep you all updated a bit better than how we’ve done recently.

Awesome news!

18 minutes ago, Samool said:

Lastly, while this might be a bit of unexpected news, it’s something we’ve teased in the past, long long ago, in one of the news posts - we’ll be starting development on adding VR functionality to Wurm,

Not that awesome...

Personally, I know my opinion  isn't worth 2 boiled cabbages but Wurm right now needs a lot of development into other key areas : bugfixes, adding complexity to skills, people have been clamouring about wanting new mobs, cartography skills, new capes and clothing, adding incentive to play on Epic as maybe a 2 way skill transfer (with reduced skillgain from Epic to account for the curve), maybe add more journal goals, PvP updates or add a new way of trading in game (Auction house), marketing, hiring devs to develop some content, something that needs to be done about the staggering drop in player population, etc. 

Going VR seems....like something the parent company (GCG) would suggest to sell an alternative version of wurm for extra cash. A similar thing was done by the devs of 7 days to die, where after an entire year of no updates, all they did was add Twitch Integration to the game which pissed off the fans since after 1 year of nothing developed, all that was brought in was something entirely unnecessary that only added negative reviews.

I don't think it's the right step. It just seems....too superfluous considering Wurm hasn't gotten a lot of development since the steam release which came with the player expectation with more funding = more development resources.

Just my 2 boiled cabbages here. 

No offence but how many wurmians even own a vr set? 1 % ?  Wurm seems to be the wrong demographic for that kind of thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Can I suggest to do a poll to see how many wurmians do want a VR update or support it as a critical allocation of dev resources? 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 24

I hope VR into wurm online itself, I am DOWN for this! 

Lets goooo!

would that also mean i might have to start launching wurmonline from steam then? probably for VR to work from Steam VR...

Edited by demondan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Samool said:

Lastly, while this might be a bit of unexpected news, it’s something we’ve teased in the past, long long ago, in one of the news posts - we’ll be starting development on adding VR functionality to Wurm, and while we can’t release any further details on it yet, we don’t expect it to derail development on the content features we’ve announced. Other than this feature, the last roadmap we posted is still relevant, and so there’s more exciting stuff to look forward to.

Does that mean HUGE performance upgrade to the game overall client and server? 
FPS is tanking a lot of performance dips at times and places, and VR can make you nauseous with low fps.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Samool said:

We’re planning to release a smaller update next month, before the exploration update,

This is a topic I would like to know more about 🙂

and that will include those animal husbandry tweaks

Ok, even right now I am happy with my 2 or 3-speed horses.

as well as some content additions.

This is another topic I would like to know more about 🙂

Lastly, while this might be a bit of unexpected news, it’s something we’ve teased in the past, long long ago, in one of the news posts - we’ll be starting development on adding VR functionality to Wurm

I'm not interested in VR, although I wonder what character control and item management would look like without looking at keyboard, so I guess there will be a UI update associated with it(?), if I'm right, it could be positive news.

44 minutes ago, Samool said:

large changes to how traits are passed down (more likely to be passed down rather than replaced with random ones)

Translation: Prepare your herd to be frozen in time with no new traits added ever 😁😁

45 minutes ago, Samool said:

lowering the chance of passing down negative traits as we’ve decided it was a bit too harsh

There are negative traits in this game? I have not seen a negative trait in a horse in the six weeks after you nerfed them.

Anyways, thank you very much for the update! Trying to get prepared for the next tweaks 🤔

Wow, I'll actually be able to throw out my back digging 100k virtual clay. 

Gamer

Thank you for the update!

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 5

Since I am not a breeder and our breeder not cry a lot since PvP Server we can cycle trought one Generations/day I can´t say I have a problem wit the animal update so I paciently waiting for the exploration one.

But to Wurm VR I have to say I am a bit pessimistic I'm just a dabbling beginner with programming and gameplay work so I probably fall in the classic dunning kruger trap, but is VR not super hard to do right? I know a few people that work on their small game projects or smaller game companies. While the whole atmosphere of Wurm is fitting for VR in my opinion, I sadly have high doubts that the experience will be delivered in a way that will do its justice.

New UI elements since you don´t have a screen input the same way, new input methods, controlschema, FPS need to be stable to reduce eye stress, object interaction have probably to be rewritten for that since a VR control is more than just a mouse click etc.

It's not just slap the current first person screen on the headset and the moment on the Joystick and call it done.

It is a massive thing to do and in the current team I don't think you have the resources set to pull it of in a way that will make you happy and feels good for the game. I hope the Devteam get in contact with someone outside the team with experience in VR to counter check and iterate on their works in this regard.

• Like 3

Looking forward to the exploration update!

Anything that can improve the PvE experience is welcome.

Yay tweaks! Will this mean we can breed for sparky eyes again?

Also I hope whatever life situation you've been going through is calming now, and that you and yours are all well and safe.

Edited by olafhairybreeks
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, Sindusk said:

They gave up on this roadmap and are working on Wurm VR now.

Even I thought I was joking...

• Like 28
  • Cat 1

Thank you for the communication. Looking forward to the AH tweaks.

Thanks for the update Samool. I do hope you and the team's RL situations has improved and that you're all doing better. Gotta say that VR is NOT something I'm interested in for Wurm though. Don't see any upside to integrating that into Wurm.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DaletheGood said:

Thanks for the update Samool. I do hope you and the team's RL situations has improved and that you're all doing better. Gotta say that VR is NOT something I'm interested in for Wurm though. Don't see any upside to integrating that into Wurm.

Well im not imtrested too, but if it'll be a thing I'll buy VR equipment 

Yes.,. please.. fix AH! I have my entire speed stable full of 4speed horses with USH. In probably 50 births I've had one foal with USH....and very few four speeds. They seem to gravitate towards the "misc" traits, despite speed being predominant. 

Oh no, please don't waste time on VR for Wurm.  You have far more important things to do.  I constantly hear about how staff is stretched so thin as it is already and to put content on hold for VR updates.  You say it won't slow down regular dev work, but seriously, how can that be possible?  Game Chest hire a team to do the VR?  Are you all getting paid for more hours in a work day to do the extra work?  Where is the extra time and staffing coming from?

I don't understand the motivation for VR.  VR is going to look terrible anyway, with the current graphics and super weird vehicle movement physics.  What happens to your last meal when your cart suddenly starts lurching at high speed, to catch up with all the movements you were attempting to do during a high latency period?  You better get some pretty extensive protection clauses for everyone to sign before launching VR.

I try not to be aggressively critical of new developments, but I have to say this one is just a bad idea and you are far better spending the time and resources elsewhere.

• Like 26

"Our very limited team of developers is going to take on an incredibly ambitious feature, but don't worry it won't affect development time."

??? how does software development work in Wurm world?

• Like 22