Sign in to follow this  
boilingfort

Wurm VR?

I fail to see how VR is going to help move Wurm forward let alone grow. I cannot believe that there are that many people who use VR who will now want to play Wurm. Seems to me that time could be spent on things that will help the game grow and retain players, I don't see VR being that thing.

• Like 8

Once again, my original post was wrong as normal.

Edited by Holar

I’d like to have it. I wouldn’t play regularly in it, but it’d be nice to max out graphics and visit some places now and then. 

VR requires high fps... it's a win:win even if nobody ever plays it.. - no optimization.. leads to many sick people with negative comments and VR goes away.. no problem.

• Like 2

I for one, look forward to the implementation of this new Virtual Retching simulator.  See, while all you's been making and selling tools/weapons, I've been stockpiling puke buckets to sell.

• Like 6

I only did a quick search but couldn't find anyone asking for VR  (searching "VR" in Suggestions returned 0 results), so why commit resources to that instead of one (or more) of the many many very good and repeatedly suggested enhancements?

Because new customers don't care about such enhancements.  In my opinion, this is about going to a new platform to sell to a new "market".  I feel like in the MMO supermarket, we are in the impulse bar.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I only did a quick search but couldn't find anyone asking for VR  (searching "VR" in Suggestions returned 0 results), so why commit resources to that instead of one (or more) of the many many very good and repeatedly suggested enhancements?

Because new customers don't care about such enhancements.  In my opinion, this is about going to a new platform to sell to a new "market".  I feel like in the MMO supermarket, we are in the impulse bar.

Hmm.....Maybe this happened:  (Little quick video I made)

• Like 5

I can't wait to do wurm vr, very keen devs!

Edited by demondan

+1 to vr, have wanted this for a while

How would the controls work though? K+B is rough with a headset covering your face.

Edited by Morrowen

5 hours ago, Zexos said:

Hmm.....Maybe this happened:  (Little quick video I made)

XD magnificent, I tought the laughing spanish guy-meme about Rolf and challenge server was the peak, but you just took it a notch higher.

Made my day ;)

(those wondering about the one I'm talking about =>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SI2eQds3_0

• Like 3

I really want to know how much of the playerbase actually supports this. 

It's one thing to be vocal on the forums but let's face it, there's about 100 of us left (or less) that actively read and post here. The rest of the playerbase gets their news from 2nd hand sources (like us) or the steam crowd simply don't visit these forums. 

An ingame poll would be biased towards alt usage, and a forum poll would only represent a fraction of wurm;s population. 

Still , maybe an ingame poll + forum poll would give a better picture of ... who asked for this? 

This really feels like a corporate manager pushing down from above with his "brilliant idea to reach more customers". Here you have a man (or woman) in a cheap suit that is tailored to look more expensive, someone who's never played games in their lives past socially accepted boardgames such as monopoly or cards, someone whose technical skills aren't even up to par to download a game client, install it and create a character. This someone just looks at numbers and thinks in social opportunities to impress. As long as the ROI (return on investment) is high, the bosses will be pleased and he'll get a promotion. I've seen this hundreds of times in corporations where you have a guy who has no idea about the product he wants to ship, yet he thinks he'll "outhink" the market. And the worst of it? As long as the numbers look good on paper, he will get that bonus and promotion. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

Seriously, but for all we know, the "VR" they have in mind, is literally the current client, but looking around with the mouse is replaced by looking around with your head.

Probably not taking much dev time (not that I know anything about how hard it would be to replace the looking with mouse -> VR headset), and most likely they are hiring some small VR dev team, with a contract to bring this VR out and support a year with bugfixes, or something like that.

Tho I must admit, money could probably be better spend in other parts of the game.

Would have been nice if this topic also had a poll to see how many of the current players (well, forum-active players) own a VR-headset.

Warframe currently gives gifts for watching 30min stream time on their two official channels, they fed the small fishes with - watching any warframe channel for 1-2 weeks I think, now it's only through watching the OFFICIAL TWO channels at specific times.

Whole thing consists of somebody playing for 30-60minutes, and having discussion with chat.. not at all being news source as the streamer isn't in the role of announcing anything new at these times. Some rewards are rng rolled for the viewers, else they swarm the stream to get the gift from watching 30min..

Other games utilizing this feature on twitch with drops:

https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns

cad9914fd3a5fe8b30840f9cadcdee8a.png

This might work for some views and popularization of the game.. costs nothing but the linking of accounts to track views.

Although I can't say there will be a big bump with small community of 500-700 concurrent players online.

Edited by Finnn

Drops would require an account system to connect to Twitch

• Like 1

Accounts from here(link below) + twitch api or w/e... just for the "connection", rest is probably handled by twitch system.. it's most likely only the linking part and claiming that matters to pickup rewards;

Guessing the accounts from here have the bare minimum for account tracking/linking with twitch/ https://shop.wurmonline.com/WurmWeb/index.jsp

Also want to add, that if Wurm has resources to implement VR, then it also has resourced to keep developing WU. Wurm Unlimited feels like a hidden shame where you have a chunk of customers ignored for no logical business reason at all. There's clearly a desire for people to play WU, why abandon it? 

How I feel about VR at this point can be summed up in a Romanian expression translated mot-a-mot as : "The country is burning down and the old lady is combing her hair..." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lycanthropic said:

Seriously, but for all we know, the "VR" they have in mind, is literally the current client, but looking around with the mouse is replaced by looking around with your head.

Probably not taking much dev time (not that I know anything about how hard it would be to replace the looking with mouse -> VR headset), and most likely they are hiring some small VR dev team, with a contract to bring this VR out and support a year with bugfixes, or something like that.

Tho I must admit, money could probably be better spend in other parts of the game.

Would have been nice if this topic also had a poll to see how many of the current players (well, forum-active players) own a VR-headset.

I own them.

also the fps and client lag would make me sick in minutes in VR and the combat animation where it behaves like you got knocked back but you dont move messes with me outside VR xD not sure I want to know what that is like wearing the headset. variable fps is a really good car sickness mini game. Both the game and client (s?)would need a lot of optimization along side a lot of opt in, opt out settings ( doable and at this point needed even without vr) before I would even touch a VR headset with this game.

edit: also even if all they did was change the mouse look to where you are looking that is really going to mess with trying to manage any of the menu's would at least need a virtual keyboard to manage chat if nothing else unless we are expected to go completely voice with this system.

Edited by Yserin

Depends if I can pull my book up in vr as well...

I spend a lot of my wurm time reading a book these days (prayer grind).

2 hours ago, elentari said:

I really want to know how much of the playerbase actually supports this. 

I don't think anybody cares if current playerbase would use it or not. In their heads it's to a way to atract new crowd and earn another grab of cash, i just wonder have man behind that descicion ever played Wurm or atleast seen gameplay of it.

Much of information is unclear, like always... people are praising this as comunication but again its just dropping bomb with no context that would help us understand and going silence. There are a lot of concerning questions that are once again not going to be answered untill it's too late. 

At the end of the day, i don't really care anymore, we are clearly helpless and they continue in their ways which will never change. It's their product, i'm just a customer who choose weather i will use it or not