Sign in to follow this  
boilingfort

Wurm VR?

1 hour ago, elentari said:

"The country is burning down and the old lady is combing her hair..." 

haha we have exactly the same expression in Serbia 😅

OK....assuming the playerbase isn't the target of this VR update....but would the VR community enjoy Wurm? Dunno. Wurm is a pretty slow game, probably the slowest game out there in the MMO genre, there's no two ways about it. Not sure how many in the VR community could "handle" grinding in Wurm.  And the grind is 90% of Wurm's gameplay in every aspect of it. Grind mats to build a deed. Grind skills. Travelling can be a grind on large servers. Building infrastructure is slow, another type of terraforming grind. 

Like many players the only way I can handle the grind is by watching a movie while I imp or read a book, anything but not to stare at the same forge or same items. 

1 minute ago, kochinac said:
1 hour ago, elentari said:

"The country is burning down and the old lady is combing her hair..." 

Probably because both of us are slavic cultures, a lot of similar expressions are inevitable :D 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elentari said:

OK....assuming the playerbase isn't the target of this VR update....but would the VR community enjoy Wurm?

probably not, but try explaining that to people in the top :D or gameplay will drasticly change to adjust 😕

Edited by kochinac

13 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I only did a quick search but couldn't find anyone asking for VR  (searching "VR" in Suggestions returned 0 results), so why commit resources to that instead of one (or more) of the many many very good and repeatedly suggested enhancements?

Edited by Palgolak
Tidied up formatting

I find it hilarious they even mentioned it. Like, they've been getting roasted on left and right for lack of support and communication (not chill peeps) and come back with, "OH HEY GUYS VRS IN THE WORKS!" lmfao. 

• Like 3

Its interesting how in the press release it states that VR will not take up any existing development time.  So, either they hired some other company to create the VR stuff, they hired a new employee to code the VR stuff, or they are lying to us.  Only time will tell which is which.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

Its interesting how in the press release it states that VR will not take up any existing development time.  So, either they hired some other company to create the VR stuff, they hired a new employee to code the VR stuff, or they are lying to us.  Only time will tell which is which.

My guess would be, they 'hired' the teenage child of one of the new owners. Kid prolly needed a skool project for grades.

Either that OR...  I seem to recall Darwin owns a VR set. Maybe they're trying to coax him back to play.

• Like 1

I know why they have made plans for Wurm VR for -

Game Chest intends to launch a subscription-based games on demand solution + Game Chest Group takes out a loan of SEK 4.2 million + In May, the company laid a foundation and intensified the development of the company's game Wurm Online. The game will undergo major content updates but will also be launched towards additional markets and platforms.

Full Details:

Spoiler

During May, a major focus has been on forging further partnerships with game studios and publishers with a goal of establishing a long-term and profitable collaboration for both parties. During the month, Game Chest has identified several and initiated contact, which has been well received.

Game Chest has a good momentum within the company and this is something we want to maintain, so the management in May also worked with recruitment and expansion of the Game Chest organization.

As previously communicated, Game Chest is developing its own games-on-demand solution that will offer its customers a completely new way of consuming computer games. This work was carried out in May in the form of an expansion of the organization with cutting-edge expertise to develop and develop this unique platform.

--------------------------------

Game Chest Group AB ("Game Chest") has today entered into an agreement on a loan from Modelio Equity AB (publ). The loan amounts to SEK 4.2 million and runs until 31 December 2021 with a monthly interest rate of 1.5%.

As previously communicated, Game Chest will launch a games-on-demand platform, our ambition is to offer a new way of consuming computer games. The entertainment industry's consumption patterns are constantly changing and we can historically see how the film industry and the music industry have undergone such a change. Nowadays, these mainly pay a monthly subscription to consume instead of renting a movie or buying a physical album.

With this investment, Game Chest needs to accelerate, both in terms of organization and marketing. The capital will be used to capitalize on the momentum we now have by bringing in new key people in the company and in connection with it increase the company's paid marketing.

The company intends to use this loan in 2021, thereafter either repay in cash or convert into shares.

-----------------------------

As previously communicated, Game Chest intends to launch a subscription-based games on demand solution. The company's vision is to be involved in revolutionizing the way we consume games. Game Chest is now building and designing a platform that will deliver games similar to the market today subscribes to, for example, the movie and sports channels' streaming services.

The goal is for Game Chest to be synonymous with the gaming platform of the future. In the same way that Spotify and Netflix left their mark on each industry, Game Chest wants to do it when it comes to gaming. The company intends to launch the platform internationally with access for all players.

Below you get an insight into what the company has achieved so far and a first glimpse of what Game Chest's future games on demand solution will look like for our customers:https://showcase.gamechestgroup.com/

In order to implement the vision and ensure its rollout, the company has developed a strategy on which the commercialization and development of the project will be based. For competition reasons, the communicated strategy will be more comprehensive than detailed.

Business strategy is divided into three different phases, of which the first phase has already begun.

Phase 1 - Development and integration
Game Chest independently develops the platform that forms the basis for the games on demand solution.

The company will give relevant game developers and publishers the opportunity to sync their own authentication with the company's subscriber verification through the Game Chests API. This solution enables almost all games on the market today to be integrated with the Game Chests platform. The game developer may also keep its previous revenue channels, which means that the company's platform offers an expansion of the revenue opportunities for our partners such as Steam and other CD-Key sales.

Phase 2 - Partnership and gaming library
To ensure the success of the project, the company has identified that a games on demand solution for a subscription payment is based on the fact that there is a large selection of attractive games in the platform.

As the platform enables game developers and publishers to simultaneously sell / rent their games while continuing to sell their games / CD-Keys in the traditional way, the company is convinced that the solution will create a high level of attractiveness for many game developers. The company de facto creates additional sales channels for our partners, which means that sales of the project are judged to be smoother than otherwise.

During the second phase, the focus will be on recruiting games through developers, studios and publishers. Today, Game Chest has an already established network of contacts to implement this. We follow the successful strategy previously used in the film and music industry, where we start by recruiting small and medium-sized actors. This makes it inevitable for the big giants not to join the solution and thus risk missing out on big revenue.

This opportunity for Game Chest is created when the customer base consists of a critical mass that the major players want and must reach.

Phase 3 - Launch and marketing
The third and final phase of this project consists of launch and marketing takes place simultaneously where we use both our already established network of influencers in gaming but also for dialogues with major influencers who act more as ambassadors for the platform to increase credibility and credibility.

The third phase will also be an ongoing and developing phase for the company, where it will gradually be possible to add more and more attractive partners.

Like the subscription services in music and film that exist today, it is clear that the larger the platform becomes, the greater the opportunities the company has to develop, expand and expand its revenue opportunities. In addition, Game Chest will have a greater influence in the market by setting better conditions for the company and its customers the larger the customer base.

Following an established game library and partnership agreement with several game studios, developers and publishers, the partnership will also lead to game publishers marketing the platform themselves for natural reasons. This is because the platform will in many cases be the main source of revenue for our partners.

From: Location Update MayGame Chest Group takes out a loan of SEK 4.2 million  +  Game Chest communicates strategy to launch its international games on demand solution

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zexos said:

but will also be launched towards additional markets and platforms.

Text based games are also a platform. Hmmmmm*...

-------------------

[00:55:41] Welcome back, Gumbo! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[00:55:42] You find yourself laying on a bed after just waking up.

"Look around room"

[00:55:49]  You are in a stone brick room with a bed, forge, and crate.

"Go to sleep"

[00:55:58] You start to go to sleep.

------------------

*Please send all royalties to Gumbo, c/o Wurmonline.  Thank you

• Like 3

Are we getting another fresh start server to go with these new VR folks...

• Like 3

I think this is forced by the new company

Nobody who has worked on Wurm would ever think that VR is feasable, maintanable, doable and is in any way shape or form, a good idea.

You're going into a niche as an already niche product and if you're lucky, 500 users will buy it just to try VR and then they'll all leave negative reviews confirming that you just stand in your room waiting on a ###### timer

Wurm's timer ###### can be okay when you're in a discord or something with your village or talking ###### in GL chat, because that's the same way that mining in Eve can pass the time as long as you do something else with it

But I'm not gonna put on a heavy VR headset that slowly cooks your face just to watch my mining timer at an awkward framerate that makes me dizzy

I have a Vive and you need to be able to keep that stable 90Hz or it's gonna make you puke.

How can Wurm do this?

You put 12 statues in the spawn area and it'll drop your VR headset to 35FPS.

But at least you'll be able to stick your VR head through a cave wall to check for cave-ins and critters

I cannot wait for this trainwreck, if it even comes out, as chances are it will just silently get canned when they realise that no, you can't make it playable on the current hardware.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 3

Since it's relevant to the conversation, here's some data. According to the Steam Hardware Survey, 2% of Steam users have a VR headset.

DShPNGH.png

According to Artillry VR Global Revenue Forecast, VR revenue declined from 2019 to 2020, but is expected to make a recovery and grow again. The total value is currently ~$4B USD.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-06-at-5.28.12-PM-153

Meanwhile, according to Newzoo Insights (via ScaleTech), the mobile gaming market is currently estimated at around ~$100B USD and growing in market share year over year.

0*-30Zq4W0jKhv_4lp.png

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Since it's relevant to the conversation, here's some data. According to the Steam Hardware Survey, 2% of Steam users have a VR headset.

DShPNGH.png

Thats 2.2 million Potential players.

Maybe i am one of the few but im positive to VR in wurm, offcourse not for the grinding part which atm is a big part of the game, but if they add some additional features, that hopefully will come with the exploration update.

Out of those 2.2 million potential players, I'd estimate less than 1% play sandbox type games like Wurm. That's about 20 000 people. Out of those 20 000 potential customers I am not certain what fraction would be interested in Wurm. 

Here's a steam search for vr + sandbox + massively mutliplayer tags : https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=21978%2C128%2C3810&vrsupport=402&supportedlang=english 

Of course those are just the steam numbers. The total hardcore VR users seem to be situated around 16 milion worldwide. 

More than half of those games on steam have no mmo or sandbox elements in them (there's even a flight sim in there). Honestly I'm not sure what the market for Vr is right now. Like it's been said, Wurm is a niche game. Going after a VR niche market seems a very risky move. 

One one hand you have a potential market which is undersaturated with VR sandbox games. On the other hand one of the main competitors is Minecraft in VR. 

It will be either a complete hit or a complete miss but I doubt there's any room for middle ground. Depending how it's going to be deployed, marketed & tested across multiple VR sets, it might just get the spotlight or the cone of shame. 

Also want to add that if an external team or dev is hired to do VR for wurm, if they don't actually play a bit of Wurm to understand its limitations, it's gonna end badly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stinboi said:

Thats 2.2 million Potential players.

ahahahahahaha

• Like 1

My concern is if it increases the bandwidth and data use requirements of the program even if VR isn't used. As well as whether the current forgiving nature of high latency will continue.

My machine is more than capable of handling it.

But I'm on satellite internet.   High latency, slow speed and data caps.

By choice, yes. I was an avid gamer for decades (yes, I'm old - no, my generation didn't have computers when we were growing up. So we invented them. You are welcome).  But when I moved to a rural location, I had to give up gaming since most games will not tolerate satellite internet.  After a friend pointed me to Wurm and I found out it is VERY tolerant, I've started playing again.

Be a shame to lose it once more. Especially for something that I am pretty sure most people won't use.  While 'my' machine is more than capable and it is my internet that is the limit, I know a LOT of people in-game whose machines will NOT handle VR.

Implementation to isolate it so that it doesn't drastically change system requirements would be essential.  From experience, that isn't something I'd anticipate happening.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 3:03 PM, Votip said:

ahahahahahaha

just like going to steam had billions of potential players.

but look at the bright side, maybe it totally fails. the company doesn't exist anymore and they cant sue mod developers for making WU better than WO!! VR for the win!

Edited by Tpikol

On 8/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Archaed said:

account system

It isn't like this has never suggested before to death over the last 5 years or anything and always ignored or told "its to much work" when the benefits of having a unified account system at that time would have made the work worth it and now days even more so >.>

CCP's owners, EVE Online thought they wanted a VR game "Valkyrie", after blowing all that dev budget and time, they closed the project and exited the VR market. 

That learning lesson ended 4 years ago. Adoption isn't there.

If growth is the new goal for the recently-sold IP, aim for mobile or tablet support... not VR..

and maybe consider reducing the costs, the land-grabs and community-splitting (WU)

because only stockholm-syndrome aging gamers will buy digital leases and monthly subscriptions just to grind for years. 

Best wishes to the investors who need vaporware to feel good about their fiscal positions. 

On 8/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, gnomegates said:

I fail to see how VR is going to help move Wurm forward let alone grow. I cannot believe that there are that many people who use VR who will now want to play Wurm. Seems to me that time could be spent on things that will help the game grow and retain players, I don't see VR being that thing.

If they manage to create an actually immersive VR experience, instead of it just being a monitor strapped to your face, then I could see it being a good thing for Wurm. Otherwise, yeah, it won't bring anything useful to the table.

Personally I'd rather see them focus on the Steam Deck. Get the game working really well without keyboard and mouse so that they get the highest rating for the Steam Deck. Sounds like a far bigger potential market than running after the VR niche.

Edited by Ecrir

I hope I'm not going to spoil the surprise, but in case someone is planning on buying VR set for Christmas to play WO:

You won't be able to perform most of the actions in VR mode. You'll be able to use the 'repeat last action' feature to do things like cutting trees and mining. It is going to be a vital part of 'exploration update'. The idea behind it is - you can build your deed and neighbourhood in 'normal mode' and then switch to VR to look around and admire what you've built. You will be also able to sail the seas, 'rivers' and canals. Imagine getting on crow nest of your caravel and just sailing around discovering other people projects.

I'm not sure how fighting is going to be implemented, but it is possible to use current system and manually target mobs and other players legs, head, arms etc. The accuracy of attacks will still be based on your skill, but it will allow you to go hunting in VR without the need of mouse and keyboard.

This information is not confirmed and I'm not in any way associated with Code Club and Game Chest.

I feel this is a terrible idea, this idea will sink massive amounts of time and money on a niche market (liable to see maybe 5 people at any one time using it). This money could be spent on genuine quality of life fixes and future updates.

VR will not help wurm and i can only imagine how painful wurm would be in VR.

Love you guys but this is not a smart move.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crack said:

I feel this is a terrible idea, this idea will sink massive amounts of time and money on a niche market (liable to see maybe 5 people at any one time using it). This money could be spent on genuine quality of life fixes and future updates.

VR will not help wurm and i can only imagine how painful wurm would be in VR.

Love you guys but this is not a smart move.

As far as I know this is a "Far-in-the-future" plan. I've not seen any mention of "our" devs working on VR so far.