Sign in to follow this  
Borgir

Unusually hard rock tile? [Solved]

Hello,

there's a weird surface rock tile on our deed.

Tunneling attempt returns the "You cannot keep mining here. The rock is unusually hard." warning, which, according to Wurmpedia, means that there's an ore vein beneath.

But at the same time, surface prospecting action on the same tile returns the "There is only rock nearby." message.

Which is confusing. One of these may be true, but definitely not both.

vein-or-no-vein.png

I've opened another tunnel entrance on one of the neighbouring tiles to see what actually is beneath. It's a normal rock tile. In fact all 9 neighbouring tiles are pure rock. No veins here at all. No reinforcements either.

Yet, for some reason, it's not possible to open a tunnel on the mysterious tile.

A bug maybe?

The slopes on neighbouring tiles are bit steep (220), but the tile itself is only 30, so it should be fine as well.

wurm.20210816.1759.png

Edited by Borgir

No, only one border is flat, of course.

It would mean a different warning anyway.

Hey Borgir,

if you give us server and location, I could come and take a quick look.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aion said:

Hey Borgir,

if you give us server and location, I could come and take a quick look.

Thanks, I've sent you a message.

Did you use erupt/freeze to get rid of a vein?  For some reason when I freeze/erupt a tile. I can only create a mine entrance if I do it from the inside. When trying from the outside, I also get a to hard message.

You also get that message when it's reinforced, but you opened it to check so it shouldn't be that.

1 minute ago, Ohana said:

Did you use erupt/freeze to get rid of a vein?  

I don't even know what that is. 🙂

Anyways, thanks Aion for investigating this. Thanks again for your time and effort.

[21:43:53] <Aion> That really looks like a bug

I'll keep the tile intact for the next week or so, in case somebody else wants to come take a look as well.

Edited by Borgir

15 hours ago, Ohana said:

For some reason when I freeze/erupt a tile. I can only create a mine entrance if I do it from the inside. When trying from the outside, I also get a to hard message.

That's an interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe something similar happened here, before we deeded over. It's possible.

I remember shortly after NFI start, they had to fix some cave tiles on Harmony. Something about bugged Sandstone tiles, if I remember correctly. Not sure though.

Maybe it's related. Who knows.

i think it is just tile with salt (old one, or just collapsed after mined ou a rockslat vein)

happened to me many times, always possible to open from inside, and never from outside. the same probably will happen to wall with flint.

try to analyse shard mined from nearby tile and analyse it, you will brobably get message like that: [07:35:29] You spot a trace of salt (northwest).

seems tile with salt or flint is recognized as a vein, so definitely a bug (or is it a feature? xD)

On 9/11/2021 at 7:42 AM, kgorski said:

i think it is just tile with salt (old one, or just collapsed after mined ou a rockslat vein)

happened to me many times, always possible to open from inside, and never from outside. the same probably will happen to wall with flint.

try to analyse shard mined from nearby tile and analyse it, you will brobably get message like that: [07:35:29] You spot a trace of salt (northwest).

seems tile with salt or flint is recognized as a vein, so definitely a bug (or is it a feature? xD)

Thanks. So far, I can see only rock everywhere, but I'll try analysing it again later.

My prospecting skill is only 37 for now and I believe I need at least 40 to be able to recognize salt.

In any case, if this is actually a feature, Wiki page (Mining warnings) should be probably updated accordingly.

Edited by Borgir

I just mined the tile out and I indeed got some🧂 (besides rock shards).

Mystery solved I guess. 👍

Thanks again.