Sign in to follow this  
Tomatoes

Why do you play Wurm?

13 hours ago, SmeJack said:

At this point after more than a decade i think the most honest answer i could give is that im stuck in an abusive relationship. In the beginning things were amazing, sure he broke things from time to time but its only human and we were great together. We built and crafted and we changed the world together, traveling to wonderful far places meeting great people we were in love.

Then it started with a broken promise and throwing away my belongings like they were nothing, he kept taking and breaking and then would say that he was sorry and would try to be better. There would be promises of things to come that never did while still breaking and taking things away. He started driving all my friends away and isolating me so that all i had left was him and eventually i couldnt be alone anymore, i snuck away to find greener pastures. While i was gone i still saw him in small pieces but regularly, i was just afraid to completely let go and thats when he made the grand promise that this time things really would be better and different.

I came back and once again im back in the loop of things being broken with empty promises and once again all my friends have been turned away and i am alone, with him, afraid what will be broken next.

as i am doing my best to take what is posted as fact(since tone and 'subtext' are in the eyes of the writer) i must respond to this one: if this is truly the case then you should know you are in control there. you dont have to come back. hurting yourself only happens with your own consent. we cant take that from you. also: my apologies that you feel this way. RL abusive relationships are no joking matter, an abusive relationship with a game would be similar in feeling, if not in nature

On 8/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, Votip said:

honestly i dont know why i play wurm

On 8/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, Chihuahua said:

Im playing wurm cause I'm addicted

On 8/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, wipeout said:

this

On 8/16/2021 at 6:48 AM, Nadroj said:

QOaXQF6.png

similar sentiments to the four of you as well. you are in control of if you play the game or not. just cause you have "xyz in premium' dont mean jack, walking away from the game is something you can do at any time.

I don't remember exactly how long I've actively played... It has to be at least 5 years because I have the 2016 Bear Helm from Shrimpiie's Impalong.

I play wurm because it's kind of cathartic. I can login and tend my farm, make some materials for a project or whatever else needs to be done & it's all on my schedule. I don't have anything pushing me to go faster other than myself. I find it very relaxing after my day job ( tight schedule ), caring for my grandmother, keeping the house semi-livable, etc. I can just login, chat with some fine folks ( and a few trolls ) and just relax. I don't have anything in the game that I *need* to do so if I login and literally do nothing but chat for an evening, it's just as productive as a night where I make materials and build a whole new building on deed.

• Like 6

Leaving is only an option if you are strong enough, not if you still love them and despite losing hope things will improve you still kinda wish it so. 

• Like 3

I have changed my mind my answer is now that i play for the VR support.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

I have changed my mind my answer is now that i play for the VR support.

######, you just beat me to it

• Like 1

Only playing right now hoping that Wurm will come back to the experience I had in the past where we had a bunch of new players I could meet, make new friendships and have adventures with people, whether be something as banal as seeing a newbie in the woods chased by trolls and guiding him to a road, or meeting a new neighbour settling near me. 

This kind of stuff hasn't happened a lot to me since the Epic transfer. I keep hoping something will change but...I know I'm mostly fooling myself. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elentari said:

I keep hoping something will change but...I know I'm mostly fooling myself. 

This pretty much sums up where most of us are these days I think.

• Like 2

I'm surprised no one else has posted the same reasons as I have for playing Wurm.

They are this:

nyyiNKZ.jpg

LKNVg2K.jpg

DijE1VK.jpg

and this:

BLN4RUB.jpg

and this!:

XO7yKkV.jpg

The world of Wurm feels alive, organic, and full of mysteries. Vegetation that grows back over time, hiding secrets and stories. I can explore wilderness and come across fossils from a Rift so ancient, its location won't even show up on the forums. And I can look over the expanse before me and feel it calling me to explore it, salivating at what stories I could find.

Edit: I don't believe I've ever played a game with this "organic" feel

Edited by Ayuna
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, Ayuna said:

They are this:

i was wondering if someone would say 'exploration' or something similar. ❤️

• Cat 1

It does have an organic feel however if you explore certain places you know well, like your "own" server, and see the dozens of deeds belonging to friends and people you liked to play with, now abandoned, then the feeling becomes....bitter. 

I sometimes roam Desertion repairing 90 damage on colossi or towers because there's no one around to repair them. In a way the land is reclaiming the artifices of civilization but it's still depressing. I mistakenly thought a lot of people would come from the steam release to epic, expecting maybe at least 30-40 new names to settle that server. But with zero marketing towards Epic and a mechanic that prevented people from starting on Epic in the first place, just feels insulting at this point.

Exploration is nice as long as you also meet some new names, at least for me. Otherwise I'm just exploring pixels in a game and am offered nothing but reminders of players that quit or moved on. 

• Like 2

My husband introduced me to WO almost three years ago, I believe.  He used my love of horses to his advantage and got me into the game. 

I play wurm now:

• because of the people i have come to know and consider friends,
  • because it is in a way like real life, challenging and requires dedication to learn things and progress
  • for the animals,  and the funny names I get with new babies  Like my newest foal  "SNICKERKICKER"
  • because of the endless inspiration that exploring the servers gives me for my own deed
  • it allows me to, when needed, immerse myself into the game rather than dwell on and stress out about things i cant change in real life

I honestly dont know what I'd do if the game were not here anymore.  Most of my friends say I abandoned them to play Wurm, but they know how to install the game and make a character. I told them that I will always be here for them, they just have to log in  LOL Im still learning things about the game everyday and I like that.  :)

• Like 9

When I first started playing Wurm nearly a decade ago, I thought it was tedious and boring, much like Minecraft but with better graphics. I stayed because of the people I met in the alliance I joined, and over time, I found that it was a great creative outlet. I did leave the game for a while when life became too busy and money became too tight, but I found myself longing for the community and the beauty of the world I left behind (and my husband started playing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, which made me feel surprisingly homesick), so I came back. I pretty much had to start over, but some of my allies were still playing, new allies had joined, and they welcomed me back and helped me find a place to call my own. I founded my new deed, participated in an impalong, and felt some of my depression melt away as I created something new that was fully mine. (My ex introduced me to Wurm, and I took over the deed he built after he left. When I came back, I founded a new deed and built everything myself rather than expanding on someone else's ideas.) I also get to live out the fantasy that hard work and determination will allow me to own a house. 

Wurm isn't perfect, and there are a lot of areas where it could be better, but to me, it's home. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Kaitlin said:

Most of my friends say I abandoned them to play Wurm, but they know how to install the game and make a character.

Absolute quote of the month!

• Like 2

What brought me to Wurm was the fact that it's one of the rare games where the entire "society" is player-run and player-built, and your story is entirely yours to write. A lot of what keeps me around is the people I've met.

• Like 6

I like that you can change nearly everything and it remains then. So you have the feeling that things you build are not for nothing, but they help make wurmworld more developed

• Like 3

Currently I don;t my deed is in hibernation mode.  I just come on forum and read on occasion to see what new drama has gone into effect.  I am never surprised to find new ones it seems

• Like 2

I enjoyed it, give me something to do and not to worry all the craps going on outside the real world. Hardly any games out there like this one, few on Steam, but wasnt polish enough or the devs gave up on that projects.

As long they keep polishing and adding some features to this game, i will stick around :)

My WurmFam, the beautiful views, the ability to enpurple almost everything, the dorky pig models, boat rides around Release, the wiki grind. It's been kind of a hard summer personally but I had a few nights of just logging in and watching the sky and bears go past. It was relaxing. 

• Like 1

Wurm allows you to change the land, build and make a fake life,  with animals and farms, occasionally something tries to kill you,  but that happens in rl too. 

I love the creative part of the game, I'm not really a fighter, only raised my fighting skill so i didn't have to run away all the time, but its not my favorite part of the game.  

It would be nice if there was  more in game content, different wall, glass, flowers... more to work with, but still this game is unique.  

I stay in Wurm because i have created a fake world that is prettier and easier to deal with than the real world.  Also, the people, most of them are very helpful and kind.  

• Like 7

If I didn't play, then who else would renaturalize areas devastated by everyone else?  This aside, I play because this is an amazing community and I've never found another like it.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

I got suckered in by an existing player to be a slave on the deed...Or rather, I did all the physical labor in exchange for a place to stay.  It worked, since I didn't want to create my own deed and I had no idea what I was getting in to.  I like Wurm because I could just do crafting and explore various skills, and it wasn't like so many other games where you kinda HAVE to fight and struggle to survive on a minute by minute basis.  I wanted to focus on the crafting aspect and I just hadn't been drawn to anything until Wurm.

It helped having someone already here to explain things, and while it took me a good 5 years to be comfortable enough to travel on my own, I'm now having a good time exploring the various servers and finding the old deeds.  With the addition of Archaeology, I think that really kicked it up a notch for me and what I enjoy.  There are so many skills I do enjoy working on and while grinding can be very tedious, there is still a sense of satisfaction to get to that next level and people are more than supportive of that insanity.

The Impalongs and such have also been a wonderful piece of the experience, and I have enjoyed participating and giving back to the community.  Yes, I know plenty of people sell skills or materials for in game money (I have upon occasion).  I don't mind doing things for the sheer fact of doing them though, and helping others out is a great way to connect and get to know other people in game.

I honestly don't have any desire to play other games, as this one does take a chunk of commitment to build skills or explore the vast areas that are available.  I know there are plenty of ways in Wurm could be improved, but for now, I roll with the punches and just have fun with doing what I enjoy.

• Cat 1

I have been in and out in many games, before i found this one, took me awhile to learn the ropes, etc. It more likely where i belong and its relaxing game to me. I still play odd games time to time, Diablo II (new) and few strategic wargames as well.