Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 11/AUG/2021

I might be wrong, but I think TheTrickster mentioned bronze because I called it a very Romanesque shield (looks wise), and bronze was the main metal used for their non-wooden shields. 

Besides, there's no metal penalty using bronze vs iron, only vs steel, but then the deal with metallurgy kicks in any way as it does with bronze.

Well Wurm is special in the sense it's a game that pretends full metal shields were actually a thing. In history, most shields were wooden with a thin layer of metal (bronze, iron, etc) on top to give it some hardiness. A full metal shield is heavy as hell and taxes the arm like no tomorrow. 

It does look like a Roman Scutum though, which makes me wonder if we should have some dev time into various armor/shield/weapon types to reflect cultures. Would be cool to have armor look like a legionnary or hoplites. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

iron / steel....

making bronze shield will be committing suddoku

("love explaining jokes".. and how that is seppuku not sudoku, and that bronze is paint to maintain high ql later on..)

--edit

Why? You can dye / color rune the shield.. no need to suffer metal penalties or deal with metallurgy 

Yes, I was more talking about making it look bronze.  For me this would be a shield for display only so I wouldn't be worried about metal penalties, and I think I have some leftover bronze anyway.  But that's just me.  TBH, I haven't really read up on metal penalties for bronze, but IRL bronze has clear advantages over iron - it's the making of the alloy availability that was the bottle-neck (well that and forging versus casting).    From memory, working temperature is lower for bronze.

5 hours ago, Elrohiir said:

I might be wrong, but I think TheTrickster mentioned bronze because I called it a very Romanesque shield (looks wise), and bronze was the main metal used for their non-wooden shields. 

Besides, there's no metal penalty using bronze vs iron, only vs steel, but then the deal with metallurgy kicks in any way as it does with bronze.

Well, not just because you said so, but yeah, because it looked like a bronze type shield, even in the blued image.  I immediately/initially thought it looked Roman (so probably needed some red) but then with the dragons (albeit western/northern style) and a centre boss that could pass for a chrysanthemum, I did think of Chinese bronze.

I would be interested to know a bit about the the development of the artwork for it.

Edited by TheTrickster
correction, did a quick read-up

@TheTricksterit's not that bad for a shield... but there remains the .10 lumps and metallurgy..

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Metal_lumps#Table_of_properties

At that point.. it's just 'smart' to go 'steel' instead and just dye it or iron if you can't bother with metallurgy, sometimes it's hard to find smith(s) with certain metals or alloys to re-imp high.

Just my 2 coppers to save you future disappointment from the bronze metal maintenance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Finnn said:

@TheTricksterit's not that bad for a shield... but there remains the .10 lumps and metallurgy..

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Metal_lumps#Table_of_properties

At that point.. it's just 'smart' to go 'steel' instead and just dye it or iron if you can't bother with metallurgy, sometimes it's hard to find smith(s) with certain metals or alloys to re-imp high.

Just my 2 coppers to save you future disappointment from the bronze metal maintenance.

Yep.  As long as it looks bronze.  Now, if we had on-the-wall shield display fittings of some sort, I might just go with using up low q lumps and leaving it at that 😉

On 8/11/2021 at 6:45 AM, Lisabet said:

1NoYVNi.png

This is where I put my CM hat on; before you run off to bash every off deed mine door you see, make sure that you are not griefing anyone.  It is the GMs decision in a circumstance whether griefing occurs, but if the only purpose of bashing off mine doors is to cause trouble with people it may be taken negatively.

Um, i may be on chaos atm, so the mechanic may be different, but door locks dont attach to mine doors. in fact no locks go on mine doors....that should be updated.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:18 AM, Tomatoes said:

Um, i may be on chaos atm, so the mechanic may be different, but door locks dont attach to mine doors. in fact no locks go on mine doors....that should be updated.

Being on chaos, the mine doors you generally use most often (at least when I played there) are stone mine doors; wooden and metal ones are created with a door lock as part of the materials.  The wording on that could be made less confusing though, I agree.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:18 AM, Tomatoes said:

Corrected. Thanks for letting us know. :)

I actually never got one of the skins.  I was thinking about getting 2, but getting even one would require me to spend RM$ and I am at the moment very reluctant to do that due to my FUD over game management.

I got the shield one since i had some marks saved up anyway and I like the roman shield model it had going. Rest of the skins are....meh. 

Sign in to follow this