Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Please increase bank space, it's time for a change

Currently our token space is limited to only 5 slots. It's been limited to 5 slots for years (or since the beginning?) which unfortunately forces most of us to create alts which in a lot of cases are non premium, just to store stuff safely. 

Some of us prem them for a short while so they don't get deleted but they aren't ever premmed again, exception being for sermon uses, but that's a different story. 

It's really a silly limitation at this point. The company doesn't make millionsof $ out of this limitation, we're just forced to make extra accounts to manage and it also messes up population data when storage alts are logged in just to drop a CoC iron lump on them and not use them for a month afterwards. It's just so reminiscent of games like wow where you make a lvl 1 alt to store consumables for future use. 

It just adds one more level of tedium to login main + alt to do a simple trade.

Can we please increase our base bank space to at least 25 Slots? With the option of earning more slots via say....the journal system and an additional max cap with the marks shop? 

P.S.  Yeah I'll admit my bias that I dislike games that "force" me to create an alternative account just because it has illogical limitations such as limited bank space, or other limitations that can easily be solved in a short lunch break of coding. Wurm or WoW aren't the only ones guilty of this practice. It really adds no value to the game whatsoever, just frustration. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 8

While i agree that the number of bank slots is ridiculously small, i suppose it causes the sales of magic chests which translates to income for the company. 

25 items seems reasonable.

I like the idea of increasing the free space, but I don't like pairing it with journals.

We can always use merchants, or like @Locathsays, magic chests.  I am curious, how is the token bank more convenient, apart from being free to use?  Not a criticism at all, I understand that aspect of the appeal.   I think we need to think very carefully about 25 bank slots.   A merchant has 50 slots.  What's to stop a person having 2 alts, each with a bank account, rather than buying a storage merchant?  We need to think about the possible ramifications of this carefully.  I'm not saying it's completely wrong to have more bank slots, not at all, but if we have too many slots, it may change the reasons some people buy merchants, and might actually lead to more alts.  Needs thinking about carefully before adjusting, and thank you for posting the idea.

• Like 1

+1 make it bank 100 item container or lets just pratend how that's is so much bad idea, relate it to merchants, smc and what not. It's only resonable if the characters drop their loot on the floor when log out

2 hours ago, elentari said:

just because it has illogical limitations such as limited bank space, or other limitations that can easily be solved in a short lunch break of coding. Wurm or WoW aren't the only ones guilty of this practice. It really adds no value to the game whatsoever, just frustration. 

Most of the MMOs out there impose this artificial limitation (inventory slots, bank slots, ship slots, mount slots etc) just so they can sell you more slots.

Wurm does not. It just has this limitation since forever, supposedly because more slots uses up more database.

While probably a legitimate reason 20 years ago, this is ridiculous these days.

1 hour ago, Muse said:

We can always use merchants, or like @Locathsays, magic chests.  I am curious, how is the token bank more convenient, apart from being free to use?  Not a criticism at all, I understand that aspect of the appeal.   I think we need to think very carefully about 25 bank slots.   A merchant has 50 slots.  What's to stop a person having 2 alts, each with a bank account, rather than buying a storage merchant?  We need to think about the possible ramifications of this carefully.  I'm not saying it's completely wrong to have more bank slots, not at all, but if we have too many slots, it may change the reasons some people buy merchants, and might actually lead to more alts.  Needs thinking about carefully before adjusting, and thank you for posting the idea.

free account = 5 slots

premium = 10 slots

premium 3+ months old = 15 slots

premium 6+ months old = 20 slots

premium 9+ months old = 25 slots

fair?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Locath said:

While i agree that the number of bank slots is ridiculously small, i suppose it causes the sales of magic chests which translates to income for the company. 

While magic chests are helpful, they are also quite expensive and not everyone can afford them. 

2 hours ago, Muse said:

We can always use merchants, or like @Locathsays, magic chests. 

Merchants also cost money. I get it , we have these "options" but are they monetization options really? Which leads people (like I did) to simply spam out 2 non prem alts to store stuff on them. Why buy a magic chest / merchant when creating an account is free? 

1 hour ago, perji said:

Wurm does not. It just has this limitation since forever, supposedly because more slots uses up more database.

While probably a legitimate reason 20 years ago, this is ridiculous these days.

I'd actually like some feedback from a dev that handles the database if it's such a resource consuming implementation. @Keenan perhaps can shed some light on this. 

Wurm doesn't restrict bank slots to a paywall though. We can bypass it easily by the age old use of alts. 

Overall the current options we have don't necessarily imply extra income for Wurm and its parent company as long as we can spam free alts to store stuff. Magic chest? I bought one with marks, not silver, which gave GCG zero income other than my 12 months of paid prem. Merchant? Nope, don't need one, I prefer to sell stuff in person, but that's just me. 

If we're currently going with this system where microtransactions for QOL are simply optional and not "paywalled" like mobile games often do, why not simply extend the bank slots anyway ? 

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

free account = 5 slots

premium = 10 slots

premium 3+ months old = 15 slots

premium 6+ months old = 20 slots

premium 9+ months old = 25 slots

fair?

Not against this idea really, rewarding customer loyalty this way wouldn't break the game. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, elentari said:

I'd actually like some feedback from a dev that handles the database if it's such a resource consuming implementation.@Keenan perhaps can shed some light on this. 

I'd prefer the devs spend their time working on the game, rather than interrupting themselves every time one of us snaps our fingers and demands "communication."  And don't bother arguing that it wouldn't take much time to respond to every single demand we make of them, because it would.  Even passing along the info to a Community Manager takes up time that could be spent fixing and improving the game.

• Like 1

I agree the item storage limit in banks needs to be increased, but I feel 25 as the limit is too much.  The note about income from the sale of large and small magic chests is very relevant.

My suggestion is for the limit on all bank accounts to go from 5 to 10.  Much more reasonable, in my opinion, and a good balance. It'd apply to both non-prem and prem.

Having different limits for premium characters vs non-premium characters would just be a big headache when players mistakenly let their premium expire for some unforseen circumstance and find half the valuable items they'd stored in the bank are suddenly gone forever.

My personal thoughts.

I always thought the limitation was so that in PvP you couldn't store your things risk free.

5 hours ago, Muse said:

Merchants should be for  selling stuff not for holding bank lol.

Also maybe you could get increased bank space with Loyalty Points. Say +5 with a maximum of 20 slots or something.

Edited by Idlamn

25 minutes ago, Ohana said:

My personal thoughts.

I always thought the limitation was so that in PvP you couldn't store your things risk free.

And general hoarding of stuff that would otherwise decay outside of a magic chest/in inventory. + of course what's already been mentioned: To actually make magic chests useful/valuable

10 at most, and on pvp servers it should remain at 5. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ohana said:

My personal thoughts.

If this is a concern then the limit can be smaller there. I also think 5 slots might be already enough if you have a couple valuable rares. How many people have 25 very valuable rares? Doubt it's that many...

I seldom used the bank even on Serenity.

1 hour ago, Idlamn said:

How many people have 25 very valuable rares? Doubt it's that many...

After you play for 2-3 years and grind a few skills + participate in a few impalongs...you'd be surprised at how fast you accumulate rares. Hell , if you get lucky you might scavenge some ruins and find an unlocked chest with a couple of supremes even.  Depends on how you define valuable. I love my rare fishing rod, even if I rarely use it ( no pun intended)

2 hours ago, Ohana said:

Which is why on pvp we've always used storage alts cause on pvp servers you can steal / lockpick magic chests. I don't know of any group or kingdom that stored all their treasures in magic chests due to raid risks. Some rares maybe or good tools for public use, but never all eggs in that basket. 

3 hours ago, Minnie said:

I'd prefer the devs spend their time working on the game, rather than interrupting themselves every time one of us snaps our fingers and demands "communication." 

I didn't make a demand. Just stated what I'd like. 

Doesn't change the fact that that any magic chest/ merchant option can easily be bypassed by creating a free alt that you can login once a month just to not lose prem. 

Get increased bank slot completing a journal entry, one or more slots you can purchase from premium rewards, age of account being premium reward, etc.

I'd say sell additional space for marks and/or silver.

It's pretty easy to make the case that sales of magical chests, and merchants contracts, and premium time for alts will suffer.

But even if you choose to ignore that, simply giving more capacity for free nets the developers nothing (at least no more more than any other QoL improvement).

Edited by Sheffie