Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Coin bag & Merchant network

Traveling around map I discover many merchants, but I never have money with me to buy something and I am too lazy to go back, I think I am not the only one.

My suggestion each character in inventory should have a coin bag, container that would contain 4 rows of items: gold, silver, copper, iron.

After expanding content could appear something like this:
2 G
15 S
41 C
80 I
and even a novice player would know what's going on, while right now he doesn't know that he needs to enter appropriate command to see balance of his account and it is not clear why, having two characters on steam, they do not have a common account. The fact that he has to use a token to transport access to his account is another difficulty. Of course, having an inventory in the token and collecting 5 items there would not change.

Coin bag could not be sold, thrown away or stolen. The mechanism for withdrawing money from character's account already exists, so after dragging coins from coin bag to inventory, player would see same popup.

Players with merchants should profit from it, while players selling items on forum won't lose much, player on other side of map will use forum and mailbox anyway, but local player could buy more from your merchant.

--- EDIT ---

Merchant network

Merchant should allow player to use it's network that means to search for and purchase any item that is in inventory of other merchants on map (or maybe even on other maps too if that is possible)

OR

just search for items stored on merchants and after selecting an item in search engine/window on map you will see a marker showing where merchant, that has item you are looking for, is located.

Network feature should only be available to player by right-click-merchant-network-menu-option on his own merchant.

Beginners would use coin bag to travel with money and buy items from merchants, while more advanced players would buy things using their merchant and it's access to merchant network.

Edited by Darnok

yeah if you're on freedom just carry a satchel. I have one for my shekels and one for my sleep powders. 

2 hours ago, Votip said:

3rPrhDv.png

Problem solved

And then Votip said, let there be a coin bag.

And it was good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

And then Votip said, let there be a coin bag.

And it was good.

Properly chuckled at that. GG

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

Coin bag could not be sold, thrown away or stolen

But the money isn't meant to be completely safe outside of the bank. If player dies, they are meant to leave their gear and coins behind. In PvP and PvE. It's a unique mechanic but it works and gives a bit of a thrill when someone needs to travel for miles while carrying their fortune.

no need...

merchants are normally ondeed, and deeds have tokens, especially markets / deeds with merchants.. have open access to the token(normally..)

you can pull money from any deed token

bag imo is pointless

• Like 2

I think I once suggested this (I don't know the details because I will not turn off ignore), to largely the same reaction.  True, it isn't needed, but from an RPG perspective a small cloth bag or a leather purse would be just the thing for coinage.  I have generally been using a reed pen - for all the wogic that demonstrates.

No, Darnok, we don't need a coin bag, and we don't need any more suggestions from you. thanks and good bye already

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Updated Merchant network.

No no no to any kind of merchant network, at that point its just another "shop" or "auction house" This would kill any kind of marketplace interaction. I set up a market on south Harmony over a month ago, currently there are 23 merchants there owned by 7 different people. I have people that come buy just about every day, sometimes with the goal of visiting the market, other times they are sailing by and stop when they see the market. The interaction between players this way when I am online, and I am online much of the time, would be killed if the ability to buy items on a merchant from any other merchant. It defeats the entire purpose of a market place.

The coin bag if just a QOL/Cosmetic change I'm all for. More cool things like that could be nice. There are other ways around it of course as others have stated so there is no true need, but as a novelty would be cool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

No no no to any kind of merchant network, at that point its just another "shop" or "auction house" This would kill any kind of marketplace interaction. I set up a market on south Harmony over a month ago, currently there are 23 merchants there owned by 7 different people. I have people that come buy just about every day, sometimes with the goal of visiting the market, other times they are sailing by and stop when they see the market. The interaction between players this way when I am online, and I am online much of the time, would be killed if the ability to buy items on a merchant from any other merchant. It defeats the entire purpose of a market place.

The coin bag if just a QOL/Cosmetic change I'm all for. More cool things like that could be nice. There are other ways around it of course as others have stated so there is no true need, but as a novelty would be cool.

Right, because people build markets... okay so there are 3 scenarios:
A - the further the merchant of buyer is located from merchant in which item is located, the higher the shipping cost will be, so some visitors will still visit and buy in person in your market

B - merchant network is only used to search for items, but you cannot make purchases remotely, but after selecting an item in search engine on map you will see a marker showing where merchant (and possibly entire market), that has item you are looking for, is located.

C - or both, player seeing marker on map would decide whether it is worth paying a little more for auto-delivery or it is better to visit market/merchant in person.

Edited by Darnok

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

B - merchant network is only used to search for items, but you cannot make purchases remotely, but after selecting an item in search engine on map you will see a marker showing where merchant (and possibly entire market), that has item you are looking for, is located.

I would be more on board for something like this, though there is still the fun of finding merchants while out exploring, also the impulse buy is no longer there, if they know what they are going for, they can just message the owner and try to buy it that way. I personally like the organic marketplace...but thats just me and my play style.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, Darnok said:

And that was the last suggestion, see you in game 🙂

Didn't last long ey

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Didn't last long ey

This is such a minor change that it doesn't count as a suggestion 😉

4 hours ago, Darnok said:

This is such a minor change that it doesn't count as a suggestion 😉

Aye it was a minor change until you made a thread, or realised the suggestion was so weak you need another half baked "overhaul" or mechanic to justify it

Edited by Madnath

I don't think this suggestion can even be considered without an explanation of why the designers decided that you can only deposit money into your bank account at your "home" deed token.

As long as the reasons for that decision  have not been addressed, there's no point talking about making your bank account fully accessible from anywhere.

14 hours ago, Holar said:

yeah if you're on freedom just carry a satchel. I have one for my shekels and one for my sleep powders. 

I don't carry sleep powders but I do have a 1st aid satchel

I don't understand, this doesn't have a tax for playtime over 30 days or some anti-existing player mechanic. 

What have you done with Darnok? 

For the record, they're both solid ideas, the ability to use merchants to buy from any merchant is great and encourages more ingame sales. 

As for the coin pouch, I get the purpose and its solid, would rather just see the ability to pay out of bank rather than physical coins 

Edited by Archaed

7 minutes ago, Archaed said:

As for the coin pouch, I get the purpose and its solid, would rather just see the ability to pay out of bank rather than physical coins

It would be nice to have both options:

Some players like to have a pocket full of 'pennies' and coppers and go around from stall to stall rummaging to see what bargains and goodies they can find - I don't want to stop this kind of impulse buying as it's active play, a popular pastime and it's good fun.   

On the flip side of that coin so to speak, is the high value item you occasionally find on merchants - if you find a high value item on a merchant that is far from a token, it would be more convenient and less stressful to pay direct from your bank account.

Remote purchasing would speed up the market, that's for sure, and maybe result in more sales but if you want a fast sale, why not just use Trade tab?  Remember making sales is not the only reason people use merchants.  Some are private storage.  Also making sales is not the only reason markets are set up.  A lot of markets are there to provide a venue for activity in addition to selling items, it's a community focal point and brings people together - I would not like to see this important social aspect removed completely, just for a 'quick sale'.  I think we all need time to think on it.

• Like 1

I would only want to see remote sales if it included some kind of mechanic where you are ordering the goods and they get shipped to you.  Let us not forget Wurm's setting, as although wogic is strong, some kind of verisimilitude is desirable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madnath said:

Aye it was a minor change until you made a thread, or realised the suggestion was so weak you need another half baked "overhaul" or mechanic to justify it

I haven't changed a single word in the original post.

The first idea was how to improve merchants from consumer side, and then I came up with idea that you could also expand merchants functionality from merchant owner side.

10 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I don't think this suggestion can even be considered without an explanation of why the designers decided that you can only deposit money into your bank account at your "home" deed token.

As long as the reasons for that decision  have not been addressed, there's no point talking about making your bank account fully accessible from anywhere.

I suspect that this may have something to do with ability to store items in deed tokens and such a restriction is quite good, but access to account and possibility of receiving silver in my opinion should be available to player at any time.

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

I don't understand, this doesn't have a tax for playtime over 30 days or some anti-existing player mechanic. 

What have you done with Darnok? 

For the record, they're both solid ideas, the ability to use merchants to buy from any merchant is great and encourages more ingame sales. 

Most of my ideas are solid, problem is that many of them would change habits of longtime Wurm players, but if same players had encountered solutions I propose in another game, they would probably like them.

5 hours ago, Muse said:

It would be nice to have both options:

Some players like to have a pocket full of 'pennies' and coppers and go around from stall to stall rummaging to see what bargains and goodies they can find - I don't want to stop this kind of impulse buying as it's active play, a popular pastime and it's good fun.   

On the flip side of that coin so to speak, is the high value item you occasionally find on merchants - if you find a high value item on a merchant that is far from a token, it would be more convenient and less stressful to pay direct from your bank account.

Remote purchasing would speed up the market, that's for sure, and maybe result in more sales but if you want a fast sale, why not just use Trade tab?  Remember making sales is not the only reason people use merchants.  Some are private storage.  Also making sales is not the only reason markets are set up.  A lot of markets are there to provide a venue for activity in addition to selling items, it's a community focal point and brings people together - I would not like to see this important social aspect removed completely, just for a 'quick sale'.  I think we all need time to think on it.

It all depends on how coin bag would be implemented, if it was a container into which we put coins, but you cannot lose it (as mentioned "tiny bag of keeping" but only for coins), it would be something little different than account itself.

Although there is also an option that it could be mobile access to account and a visual representation of /balances that would clearly display player's account balance and if player would want, he should be able to drag money from coin bag to inventory at any time, same feature like you have on withdraw money from account at deed token.

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I would only want to see remote sales if it included some kind of mechanic where you are ordering the goods and they get shipped to you.  Let us not forget Wurm's setting, as although wogic is strong, some kind of verisimilitude is desirable.

"A - the further the merchant of buyer is located from merchant in which item is located, the higher the shipping cost will be"?

Edited by Darnok

Overall - allow merchants to have a checkbox.. -use money from bank.(like the option in any mmo rpg and auctions)

Allow same for merchants/traders - problem solved.. allow players if they are premium to deposit money into any token, not only 'the chosen one'

pve/pvp incentive - if you find a pile of items.. from a dead noobie... (body bag turns to pile after some time if not recovered..) -> some might have money.... same for pvp - kill a fella, take it's lunch money.. fair game with full loot and carried items(possibly still lock to 1 chosen token to deposit for pvp if that's op there)

Bag to carry money... nah... it's adding a problem to solve a problem.. it's not making it easier, it's adding extra coin management for no reason.

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Currently "that is possible".. make alt/s and send(ditch) it/them at markets.. and check merchants freely.. if you find something you like -> go to mailbox.. cod your main something with same value... -> you receive the x silver in alt's bank once you pay with your main, and your alt can now withdraw money from the token and buy that item from the merchant.. then cod it for cod cost to your main again... 💤