Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

Reaction to Staff Statements on Game Status

42 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

You need to make up your mind.  You have pretty much already said professionals don't, because apparently people who do their job properly are not human. 🤔

Er, that was my line? And it's not that they don't have emotions. It's that they are forbidden from expressing them on pain of punishment for doing so.

I always found it very distressing that 'professional' authority figures would lose their temper with me for being so unprofessional as to express emotions.

Now I don't. Now I understand to my own emotional satisfaction, why they are hurting that I and/or others are hurting, and I don't feel distress when they get angry, but something I probably don't know the correct emotional word(s) for, as it's a very new experience.

For the record, even I thought it was weird at first, when I started feeling BETTER, feeling CALMER, when someone snapped at me. That's not what everyone had taught me to expect to feel in those circumstances.

And it still doesn't trigger in all circumstances, only when someone in recognised authority over me does it. ... People who have the power of life or death over me.

It's like, what they destroy with their anger, is the part of me that is destroying me, that it is beyond me to limit without their feedback.

Anger, or the pantomimed illusion of it in simulated conflict, has become something I seek to feel truly calm, even when I get sent to respawn for it. Silence and lack of interaction, still increase my sense of distress and/or helplessness. But the model for a professional-doing-their-job is someone who will refuse to express even justified anger, and instead be silent and uncommunicative, so that they cannot be found fault with 'professionally'.

Edited by Drayka

No, I was referencing these kinds of statements...

On 8/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Tomatoes said:

i would rather someone who was 'human' deal with things like that, rather then a 'professional'. a professional is supposed to disregard human imperfections, and we are all imperfect. when dealing with people, you cant disregard those things that make us human(including emotions)

18 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

point out to me one 'professional' that will take human 'experience' into account. the emotion, the individuality, and the imagination. 

the point of a professional is 'standards' and humans dont have standards.

There is more that is only semi-related about there being no such thing as normal (it may be over-rated but "normal" is a perfectly valid concept), and about both being "rude, crude and opinionated" while expounding " it is not acceptable to cause distress an individual without their consent" as a rule that really matters.

I struggle very much to communicate when people insist on using words with a well established and broadly accepted meaning in a way divergent from - or even contrary to - those meanings.  I had that trouble with your use of mercy (really, from the way you defined it an armed bandit could be said to be practicing mercy because they are getting what they need) and I am having that trouble with Tomatoes' use of "professional" (and "instinct" and "normal" and "standard" and even "human") to exclusively mean detached and "agentic".

Edited by TheTrickster

11 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

You need to make up your mind.  You have pretty much already said professionals don't, because apparently people who do their job properly are not human

never said that they didn't have them, just that they don't acknowledge them.

'Professionals' are trained to and suppress their own emotions. they still have them, they just ignore 'emotions' as best as they can. Now i will grant that there are some professionals that will include them, but not many. Generally speaking most professionals wont be emotional in the slightest.

19 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

professional communicator

and this is the difference in communication you and i have. Professional is a qualifier. A TYPE of communicator. 

communicator=someone who can communicate: communicate=the act of expressing desires and wants: NOT everyone communicates in the same language. nor are languages static. communication is constantly in flux

Professional=Authority=KNOWING IT ALL=wont learn from someone who has experience that is COMPLETLY different from what they were taught.

What does Professional mean to you? 

29 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

er....  🤨

Humans have to be encouraged to breath when born. we learn how to chew our food, drink water, even how to survive.

Can we please start banning people from posting for derailing threads.

Ban me too bc this is derailing but holy ###### seriously

the same 3 people everytime

Edited by Jore
cringe
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

There is more that is only semi-related about there being no such thing as normal (it may be over-rated but "normal" is a perfectly valid concept), and about both being "rude, crude and opinionated" while expounding " it is not acceptable to cause distress an individual without their consent" as a rule that really matters.

"over-rated' is an understatement. There is so much more out there that doesn't fit 'normal' that it is a bit shocking. as a 'concept' it is valid, but when put into practice it causes problems. (look at the problems the US is having right now....every bit about 'individuality' and 'normalcy'

my 'rude, crude, and opinionated' comment is about me as an individual, who i am and how i communicate.

as for my rule, ask your question about it please. your subtext went over my head.

24 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I struggle very much to communicate when people insist on using words with a well established and broadly accepted meaning in a way divergent from - or even contrary to - those meanings.  I had that trouble with your use of mercy (really, from the way you defined it an armed bandit could be said to be practicing mercy because they are getting what they need) and I am having that trouble with Tomatoes' use of "professional" (and "instinct" and "normal" and "standard" and even "human") to exclusively mean detached and "agentic".

this is because you are expecting something, and, honestly, you need to stop expecting it. 

COMMUNICATION ISNT STATIC

and FYI: i may understand 'English', and it may be the only language that has written/spoken form that i know,  but EMOTIONS are my first language. All emotions have several different words depending on usage for me: i am CONSTANTLY translating emotion into English.

20 minutes ago, Jore said:

Can we please start banning people from posting for derailing threads.

Ban me too bc this is derailing but holy ###### seriously

the same 3 people everytime

How do you think we are derailing the thread? serious question. 

3 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Feels like a lot of people are overthinking things. Speculation about what the parent company is doing, the motives behind the decisions of those running the game, and what the future holds. I feel like I was victim to that same mindset not long ago. At some point you just need to decide if the game is worth it for you or not.

Edited your choice-gate diagram, to include most of the choice-sequences I use daily:

nBxGD3t.png

• Like 1

People have got some really weird ideas about professionalism.

That is all.

Ok Mods I think you can close this thread and I think the devs get the Idea and if they don't this thread ain't gonna fix anything.

Rolf did not get trolled out of anything he took a shot at money making the game and selling it that is called business and he got  2fer.

IF I ever win Lotto wurm might survive forever but ya never know.

I'd rather we didn't have these threads derailed. The whole point of a forum is to have discussions about these subjects. 

Although at this point I think we can all agree Wurm badly needs 1-2 Community Managers hired. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elentari said:

I'd rather we didn't have these threads derailed. The whole point of a forum is to have discussions about these subjects. 

Although at this point I think we can all agree Wurm badly needs 1-2 Community Managers hired. 

Agreed on point one. on point two, that would be a good start, but only a start.

I've been watching this thread for some time, and while I've preferred to give folks space to say their pieces, I feel we've gotten to the point where the original topic has become completely lost in circular arguments about something else entirely.  So I'm locking this one out as complete.

On a slightly related point, to answer something said above, no releases doesn't mean no development.  There is still work going on, although not perhaps at the pace we'd like, as individuals deal with life stuff. 

Pandalet (LFM)

• Like 6