Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Bandit camps

Bandit camps can spawn randomly across the map.
Camp is a tent in center, two campfires, large chest and crate nearby.

Camp has a level that increases the longer camp exists. The higher the level, the stronger the bandits and more loot after destroying camp.

Bandits only move within 50 tiles from camp and if the player starts destroying the camp, they will all be alerted.

Bandit spawns every 30 minutes.

If a player exceeding the FS limit is involved in the fight, no one gets a skill gain or drop.

Level 1

- bandits are infantry (20-30FS)

- players with 30+ FS do not get skill gain or loot after killing level 1 bandit or destroying camp

- capacity 5 bandits max

Level 2

- infantry and archers (30-50FS)

- only players under 50 FS get the prize

- capacity 10

Level 3

- infantry, archers and cavalry (50-70FS)

- only players <70FS can get loot and skill gain

- capacity 15

Level 4

- infantry, archers, cavalry, priests and siege troll (75FS)

- any player can get loot and skill gain

- capacity 20

- 2 hours after reaching highest level, bandits will raid nearby deeds, but only those with active players with at least one member with FS 70+

- during a siege,  troll will throw stones at walls, when they are destroyed, rest of bandits will attack (not all at once, but in groups equal to number of deed citizens + 1, so if you are alone there will be 2 bandits at the time).

- attack will last a maximum of 30 minutes or until large chest and small crate in the bandit camp are filled with items obtained on deed

- if the player does not want to fight, he can place a full small crate and large chest by the wall in place where troll is attacking walls.
- attack on same deed cannot take place more often than every 72 hours.

--- EDIT As ordered ---

Level 5

- infantry, archers, cavalry, priests, siege trolls (80FS)

- capacity 25

- bandits can siege deed (only if member have FS 80+)

- bandits can also split into groups of 5-6 mobs per group and travel along the highway within 400-500 tiles of camp, organizing ambushes on travelers,

- archers and priests have taming ability on such level that they can tame wolves, mountain lions and bears,

- priests avoid frontline combat, cast spells on players fighting other bandits

Level 6

- infantry, archers, cavalry, priests, siege trolls (85FS)

- capacity 30

- bandits can siege deed (only if member have FS 85+)

- during full moon, infantry and archers turn into werewolves (and as I wrote in another suggestion, they can only be hurt by silver or enchanted weapons or by priests spells)

Level 7

- infantry, archers, cavalry, priests, siege trolls, stone golems (90FS)

- capacity 35

- bandits can siege deed (only if member have FS 90+)

- still can turn into werewolves

- priests can revive fallen bandits (but in normal form, not in werewolf form)

- stone golems can only be hurt by weapons with the crushing damage type or with an enchanted weapon (fire, cold... damage) or spell

Level 8

- infantry, archers, cavalry, priests, siege trolls, stone golems (95FS)

- capacity 40

- bandits can siege deed (only if member have FS 95+)

- if camp reaches level 8 and its maximum capacity for a while, a dragon spawns after camp is destroyed

Edited by Darnok

Or we can all play on epic and have players be the bandits :).

I saw something similar in Valheim with goblin camps. I also vaguely remember from maybe a decade ago that  they actually wanted to have things like goblin camps and such, I would love to see those. I know there are occasional rift camps, maybe they can make something similar with trolls and goblins, that players can go and get some nice loot out of.

its a good idea, its been suggested since 2004 lol

We had something close to this, goblin camps and troll camps, they used to congregate around each other and fight off players getting close to their 'camp'.

Definitely would be a welcome addition to the long awaited "Exploration update"

15 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Uhhh... 

Why is this skill locked? 

For a balance, so that 70+ characters do not profit from killing weak mobs, so that weaker players also have some entertainment.

15 minutes ago, Darnok said:

For a balance, so that 70+ characters do not profit from killing weak mobs, so that weaker players also have some entertainment.

But this is balanced by skill gain being relative to the fs of the creature, meaning the fs gains from the creatures will be nil. 

Given that 70 fs can be gained within a day or two, I find the idea of locking it to lesser skills a simple act that takes what would be an opportunity for actual player versus environment content. 

I like the camps, dislike the skill locking 

23 minutes ago, Archaed said:

But this is balanced by skill gain being relative to the fs of the creature, meaning the fs gains from the creatures will be nil. 

Given that 70 fs can be gained within a day or two, I find the idea of locking it to lesser skills a simple act that takes what would be an opportunity for actual player versus environment content. 

I like the camps, dislike the skill locking 

But it's not completely locked, you can wait for the camp to level up to your FS level and then get skill gain and drop.

That does not encourage community play, and instead actively punishes players who have been playing longer (or have spent a day or two working on fa) 

I know your whole idea here is "###### the established players", but again, you're hurting everyone, not just them. 

Look at ways that new players can assist, not ways that lock out anyone

1 minute ago, Archaed said:

That does not encourage community play, and instead actively punishes players who have been playing longer (or have spent a day or two working on fa) 

I know your whole idea here is "###### the established players", but again, you're hurting everyone, not just them. 

Look at ways that new players can assist, not ways that lock out anyone

In case you missed it, this idea gives players 70+ FS opponents with 75FS that spawn every 30 minutes!
So they will be able to gain skill faster at their high level without having to kill tons of weak mobs and take away all the fun from weaker players.

See again, you're looking at it as vets stealing fun, that's my point entirely. 

If you approach any situation as an "us vs them", you'll be instantly shooting yourself in the foot 

• Like 2

The “evil” vets don’t kill weak mobs for the sake of it or to take them away from new players, but usually because they want to grind weapon skill or butchering, or need some animal parts. 

Well i dont know about Freedom maps with this setup, it can ruin someone day, esp new players or even having a deed nearby. I suggest this should go to pvp realms.

If you get the FS too high, most new players or old will not compete with that and they may simply rage quit!

Edited by Sylvanas

8 minutes ago, Sylvanas said:

Well i dont know about Freedom maps with this setup, it can ruin someone day, esp new players or even having a deed nearby. I suggest this should go to pvp realms.

If you get the FS too high, most new players or old will not compete with that and they may simply rage quit!

There are defense towers in PvE and you can buy guards with silver, so I see no problem.

I smell tons of contradictions and problems here.

• The skill locks would hinder cooperation between higher and lower FS players. Unclear what should happen when a high FS player is just tanking, blocking and taunting the low FS bandits. When her FS gain is locked, will the lower FS player(s) have disadvantage of her participation?
  • If such camps are an annoyance to players they will be wiped no matter whether FS gain or not so don't have a chance to mature in more populated regions. On the other hand, destroying them would cause conflicts with those hoping for stronger camps.
  • Further on, priests may have low FS (mine all have FS below or around 20) though having full faith/favour. They are powerful in combat with area spells, damage and heal likewise. A "low level" priest team could easily wipe a camp, even the strongest.

Generally, the proposal of such camps has been made repeatedly, and it is a good idea for more PvE combat. The skill locking idea is rubbish. And generally, what is missing, are high and highest level PvE opponents, and the proposal misses to address this need.

42 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I smell tons of contradictions and problems here.

• The skill locks would hinder cooperation between higher and lower FS players. Unclear what should happen when a high FS player is just tanking, blocking and taunting the low FS bandits. When her FS gain is locked, will the lower FS player(s) have disadvantage of her participation?
  • If such camps are an annoyance to players they will be wiped no matter whether FS gain or not so don't have a chance to mature in more populated regions. On the other hand, destroying them would cause conflicts with those hoping for stronger camps.
  • Further on, priests may have low FS (mine all have FS below or around 20) though having full faith/favour. They are powerful in combat with area spells, damage and heal likewise. A "low level" priest team could easily wipe a camp, even the strongest.

Generally, the proposal of such camps has been made repeatedly, and it is a good idea for more PvE combat. The skill locking idea is rubbish. And generally, what is missing, are high and highest level PvE opponents, and the proposal misses to address this need.

Nothing, the point is that cheating like this should be unprofitable. If a player exceeding the limit is involved in the fight, no one gets a skill gain or drop.
Check OP again 🙂

This kind of apartheid is just plain stupid. There is no cheating when players of different background join in fights. You simply do not know Wurm, thus your stupid proposals.

The camps idea is a good idea. The skill lock is just terrible. And your whole mentality of Veteran players being evil is just wrong. I know a lot of veterans that give an arm and a leg helping new players grow and learn the ropes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

The camps idea is a good idea. The skill lock is just terrible. And your whole mentality of Veteran players being evil is just wrong. I know a lot of veterans that give an arm and a leg helping new players grow and learn the ropes. 

I believe that there are many veterans who help beginners, I have met such ones myself, but one evil is enough to destroy the whole area and there is nothing left for the newbies.

The idea of "skill lock" came to mind when I noticed how many donkeys there are and no one is catching them.

Why is this happening?

The answer is simple, because they are useless for advanced players and this is the solution to many Wurm problems, more resources are needed, which are useful but only up to a certain level, and after exceeding that level it is not profitable for you to deal with it.

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

The idea of "skill lock" came to mind when I noticed how many donkeys there are and no one is catching them.

Why is this happening?

The answer is simple, because they are useless for advanced players and this is the solution to many Wurm problems, more resources are needed, which are useful but only up to a certain level, and after exceeding that level it is not profitable for you to deal with it.

There are so many of them because of 2 reasons:

1. The initial spawn ratio was overdone by a lot and was mentioned in many posts. Even if it was adjusted since, they need to die off or be killed to release slots for other mobs to spawn which leads to:

2. They are utterly useless for veterans and new players alike. No matter what your skill is, you can go out there and murder them to your heart's content but you don't do that. People just ignore them and it's nothing to do with their skill. New or low skilled players ignore them as well, else it wouldn't be a problem.

We don't know if their spawn ratio was adjusted because communication is lacking but we can hope that once they die off of old age, they will be replaced by other non-aggro. Best thing that could happen is if in their place we would get thousands of pheasants. I like pheasants and they are all that should spawn.

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

but one evil is enough to destroy the whole area and there is nothing left for the newbies.

Who is to say it's not a newbie destroying the area? I have met new players that chop down whole forests because they can. New players who have dropped dirt and changed roads because they can. "Start Sarcasm" Maybe we should punish them too? Perhaps limit the amount of actions a new player can do per skill until they get to a higher level. Perhaps even prevent them from leaving a grid to keep the other players safe. "End Sarcasm" 

15 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Why is this happening?

That's not the answer at all. 

The spawn rates for donkeys are higher, and when they're killed, they respawn. This is to ensure there's adequate availability for them,and avoid someone claiming all the dragon hoarding vets are stealing the donkeys for mating purposes or something idk, I'm not paranoid. 

17 minutes ago, Archaed said:

This is to ensure there's adequate availability for them, and avoid someone claiming all the dragon hoarding vets are stealing the donkeys for mating purposes or something

I Agree!

More donkeys, hide for everybody, shrek fans are kept happy and not going green.

29 minutes ago, Locath said:

[donkeys]

2. They are utterly useless for veterans and new players alike. No matter what your skill is, you can go out there and murder them to your heart's content but you don't do that. People just ignore them and it's nothing to do with their skill. New or low skilled players ignore them as well, else it wouldn't be a problem.

They are no more useless than other farm creatures a player is not going for.

For new players, they are priceless. I remember well how I felt myself practically under curfew before I was able to use guard tower mechanics, and had better fight skill so that not every bear and spider, and even wolves if more than one, were a deadly threat. A donkey enables a newcomer to fight mounted, and get away when things go bad. Else they cannot even run away as they are crippled by speed penalty when hurt.

Even for more experienced players, they are not worthless. If nothing else there, they are ways better than cows or bulls as a mount. And they are the base for creating mules. Once the AH disaster will be sorted (and I hope for that, and not that the aborted communication means that Wurm is done and will be closed down) they can be an interesting alternative as a draft animal, and have mount attributes between donkey and horse. Beneath that, I do not think that more diversity is bad.

To the rest I agree. There are too many donkeys atm.

19 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

They are no more useless than other farm creatures a player is not going for.

Oh yeah but skill locking won't solve the problem of donkey invasion which was my response was about:

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Nothing, the point is that cheating like this should be unprofitable. If a player exceeding the limit is involved in the fight, no one gets a skill gain or drop.
Check OP again 🙂

Door right open for griefing there, nice