Sign in to follow this  
olafhairybreeks

Horse ages are wonky

So I've noticed that ages of horses and foals are a bit odd. Now I have 90ah I can see their ages on examine and inspect, however I've noticed that some foals are older than adult horses! This is Walkingqueen, a foal born on 25/7/21.

[14:42:37] You determine the age of this creature to be about 4 wurm months.

This is Tailstrot, an adolescent horse born on 12/7/21.

[14:43:19] You determine the age of this creature to be about 3 wurm months.

It's not just these 2, these are just the first ones I found while making this post! I've also noticed that foals seems to pop out of their mums at 2 months old, however if you catch a young horse soon enough on aging up, you'll see their age is 1 month. So ages of horses don't reflect their real ages, just the time since they became adults.

pretty old 'bug'/feature, I thought it syncs on server restart(and age then reflects the right creature model), noticed it for sheep while grinding ah.. but for bulk breeding horses, etc.. I haven't bothered to track it

1 hour ago, olafhairybreeks said:

So ages of horses don't reflect their real ages, just the time since they became adults.

I wonder if that was something that dates back to when they started adding foal life stages to animals that previously didn't have them (hellhorses for example), so that the animal's "working" life expectancy would not be severely shortened by the sudden addition of a new  childhood stage...?   

Especially since Hellhorses stop being work animals (cart horses) halfway through their lifetime anyway. Retiring them at Old and then adding a foal stage might have cut severely into their usefulness more than intended. 

I know I was breeding hellhorses at the time foals were added, and seem to vaguely recall that being a concern?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I think all mobs with a different model for the baby stage are kind of considered two different animals. it's why naming an egg would give you a named chick (if lucky enough for it to hatch), but the name doesn't carry over to the grown hen or rooster. And I assume this is why you can't use nameplates before second adolescent stage too.

So in the case of horses, age counter is reset once they reach second young stage as it's now a fresh new horse with horse abilities that differ from un-hitchable, un-ridable small horsies.

Edited by Grumpled