Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Sea of Pirates

This is a server whose map is 90% water.

You can plot a course between this map and any map in the Northern or Southern Freedom clusters.

But, it's a map with PvP enabled.

And it has all the dragons and sea monsters you would expect.

That means that a player who wants to travel between NFI and SFI will have the following choices:

• team up with a large number of like minded people and fight their way through
  • take a boat on their own, and hope that they don't attract trouble
  • pay an individual who promises them safe passage

How terrible is this idea?

Go.

• Like 1

forced PvP -1

The idea of a dangerous passage may be more acceptable, or at least sounds interesting. Would, on the other hand, leave passage to high level fighters, or fighter teams.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

taking into consideration how boat pvp looks in the game, very much terrible

• Like 1

Anything that forces a style of play is a bad idea in my book. Especially when it includes forced PVP.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

This is a server whose map is 90% water.

You can plot a course between this map and any map in the Northern or Southern Freedom clusters.

But, it's a map with PvP enabled.

And it has all the dragons and sea monsters you would expect.

That means that a player who wants to travel between NFI and SFI will have the following choices:

• team up with a large number of like minded people and fight their way through
  • take a boat on their own, and hope that they don't attract trouble
  • pay an individual who promises them safe passage

Go.

+0.5

60% water

PvP - limited, before plot course you fill out a form, whether you are traveling for tourism (PvE) or hunting (PvP).

In my opinion one of PvP problems is that it is quite complex (combat, weapon and armor stats as well) many people are afraid they would waste too much time and items for nothing, but if there was a map where "tourists" can watch the fights of more experienced players while being 100% safe (at least other players would not be a threat to them) and no one can cheat and join PvP suddenly, maybe PvE players would like such expeditions over time.

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

PvP - limited, before plot course you fill out a form, whether you are traveling for tourism (PvE) or hunting (PvP).

Customs even gets you in games smh.

• Like 2

Yes, a form with three carbon copies and a seal (living seal, of course, but where to get carbon copies in Wurm, maybe milling charcoal and mixing with beeswax, and spreading on papyrus sheets to produce carbon paper?).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

+0.5

60% water

In my opinion one of PvP problems is that it is quite complex (combat, weapon and armor stats as well) many people are afraid they would waste too much time and items for nothing, but if there was a map where "tourists" can watch the fights of more experienced players while being 100% safe (at least other players would not be a threat to them) and no one can cheat and join PvP suddenly, maybe PvE players would like such expeditions over time.

I feel like I got 50% of a vote because you 100% missed the point, which was to create a Gauntlet or challenging environment that must be passed through by players wishing to travel between SFI and NFI servers. What you've suggested is a completely different concept: a theme park where the theme is PvP. 

Honestly, I think that the solution to conflict, or criticism, or problems, is to pare away unnecessary features, not to add further complexity.

• Like 1

I can see the idea here, and it is an interesting one, however...

1.  What happens if/when you die on this server?  Do you just spawn on water?

2.  How does this tie in with defiance; would you be able to take defiance gear to SFI?  If so, what happens when you return to NFI?

3.  This server is going to get HEAVILY cluttered with boats over time; what kind of cleanup is there going to be?

If those problems were solved...  Why not just sell an item for 50--100 silver on trader called "safe passage certificate" that allows on trip across the map without being attacked for everyone on the ship.  Those who want to risk PvP can do so, but those who don't have to pay the fee!

9 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I can see the idea here, and it is an interesting one, however...

1.  What happens if/when you die on this server?  Do you just spawn on water?

2.  How does this tie in with defiance; would you be able to take defiance gear to SFI?  If so, what happens when you return to NFI?

3.  This server is going to get HEAVILY cluttered with boats over time; what kind of cleanup is there going to be?

If those problems were solved...  Why not just sell an item for 50--100 silver on trader called "safe passage certificate" that allows on trip across the map without being attacked for everyone on the ship.  Those who want to risk PvP can do so, but those who don't have to pay the fee!

Some good questions here.

1. Remember I said 90% water? There could still be starter towns. Unfortunately my knowledge of PvP isn't sufficient to fully cover this topic, but I'd imagine that there would be somewhere you could respawn where you wouldn't be attacked.

2. As I understand it, no one can sail to/from Defiance. This wouldn't change that bit of weirdness.

3. I think that the problem of abandoned boats is something that could/should be addressed in a more general sense, but... in the absence of any real dev attention to this, we could simply have a greatly accelerated decay rate on this server — either for boats alone, or across the board.

I would also make it where you can't drop sand or dirt on the server because otherwise players will start to create land masses for themselves. 

Hmm.....I would also say that the starter town should have an item that you can buy that transports or teleports you back to your ship if you die.  - 

If not that then have small pirate ships/rowing boats around near the shorelines at different spots with a monster on board.   When the monster is killed, you can use that boat for 1 day before it decays away.  That would mean that players can sail back to their bigger ships without being stuck for so long on land.

I would also add some pirate battle forts on some islands where people would have to avoid traps, archery towers and pirate guard towers to make their way to the center of the fort where some dangerous foes await with some cool goodies. Like special flags, banners, wagons and maybe some skinned weapons, Rare Items or special potions await.

I would also make it so that deeds can;t be placed.  Then the starter town becomes more like a spawn and community hub area.

I don't really like the idea of PVP myself but that is more so because I get Scared when someone creeps up behind me and kills me in games.....

I like this idea of parking all the abandoned boats on a separate server...

oh, wait...

I actually like the basic premise of RPGing a cluster crossing and making something with jeopardy so it isn't just a casual skip back and forth.

9 hours ago, Votip said:

taking into consideration how boat pvp looks in the game, very much terrible

Your telling me that Boat pvp isnt glorious for all involved? 

Big ol gank - YouTube 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I feel like I got 50% of a vote because you 100% missed the point, which was to create a Gauntlet or challenging environment that must be passed through by players wishing to travel between SFI and NFI servers. What you've suggested is a completely different concept: a theme park where the theme is PvP. 

Honestly, I think that the solution to conflict, or criticism, or problems, is to pare away unnecessary features, not to add further complexity.

You wrote that NPCs should also be there.

I believe that travel between SFI and NFI should not be possible ever. If anything, a new map should be created that will allow people from SFI and NFI to live next to each other on a large area.

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

You wrote that NPCs should also be there.

I believe that travel between SFI and NFI should not be possible ever. If anything, a new map should be created that will allow people from SFI and NFI to live next to each other on a large area.

I never mentioned NPCs. OP mentions dragons, sea monsters, players, and "individuals". 

This suggestion of an island where SFI and NFI players can meet, and yet they cannot travel to one another's servers, is... problematic. There would need to be some kind of distinction between NFI and SFI players, which would prevent them travelling back to the "wrong" servers. Again, adding complexity is not the answer.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I never mentioned NPCs. OP mentions dragons, sea monsters, players, and "individuals". 

This suggestion of an island where SFI and NFI players can meet, and yet they cannot travel to one another's servers, is... problematic. There would need to be some kind of distinction between NFI and SFI players, which would prevent them travelling back to the "wrong" servers. Again, adding complexity is not the answer.

NPC=mob

NPC = Non-Player Character, a term which has a clear meaning in role playing games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-player_character)

That aside, what on earth would be the point of a server "that will allow people from SFI and NFI to live next to each other on a large area" in a world where "travel between SFI and NFI should not be possible ever" ?

The key argument — in fact the only significant argument I've ever seen against joining the servers — is that it would destroy "the economy" in NFI.

How, in your imagined world, how would you prevent the crafted objects, money, and skills of SFI players from benefitting NFI players? No one can bring objects with them? Skills get wiped? No one can return to their home servers? No trade is allowed? Or are players marked with the SFI brand just not allowed to trade with players from NFI? 

Or do you have another reason for stating that the two groups of servers should never be connected? 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

NPC = Non-Player Character, a term which has a clear meaning in role playing games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-player_character)

"In most modern graphical games, "mob" may be used to specifically refer to generic monstrous NPCs that the player is expected to hunt and kill"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_(video_games)

That aside, what on earth would be the point of a server "that will allow people from SFI and NFI to live next to each other on a large area" in a world where "travel between SFI and NFI should not be possible ever" ?

Exactly what I wrote. SFI should not be able to come to NFI and vice versa, but if someone really wants to connect these two "worlds" there should be a land / map that allows both to live side by side.

The key argument — in fact the only significant argument I've ever seen against joining the servers — is that it would destroy "the economy" in NFI.

How, in your imagined world, how would you prevent the crafted objects, money, and skills of SFI players from benefitting NFI players? No one can bring objects with them? Skills get wiped? No one can return to their home servers? No trade is allowed? Or are players marked with the SFI brand just not allowed to trade with players from NFI? 

Both of them could return to SFI or NFI from this new land, I don't see any problems with that, but the items would only travel one way, i.e. SFI-> new land and NFI-> new land.

Silver can travel both ways.

Or do you have another reason for stating that the two groups of servers should never be connected? 

10 year old characters vs 1 year old? Do I have to have any other reason in a game where  on 1-year old map some advanced players have few 100 skill levels?

5 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I don't see any problem here. When you do plot course, the game knows where you come from and you only have option of returning to your server.

After all, if I sail from Cad to Mel my deed won't disappear, the game still knows (collects some data) where I came from?

Actually, while I protested the PvP part, I generally support the idea of not just doing the unification by a technical act like plot course now possible and nothing else.

On contrary, the event of unifying north and south should be part of a world wide event or event series finally concluded by a full open up.

In this context, a special area where the two sides had to meet, and fight, prolly also terraform, mine, craft, and build their ways through to meet in the end would be a good idea, and your proposal could be part of in the one or other way.

As to PvP, I think there should be PvP challenges in HotA etc. style, where the factions had to struggle to win the prize of being the successful pioneers (PvP players forgive, but it is not my job or knowledge to elaborate or suggest in detail). They should occur in distinct areas, and not interfere with PvE challenges.

What to do with the areas after the conclusion of unification should be considered. They may remain as a high level hunting and combat area. But in the end, crossing between NFI and SFI should not differ from crossing from Xanadu to Release or from Independence to Deliverance. As Xanadu lacks a southern and northern boat bridge connection, and Independence a northern one, these connections could lead to Cadence, Harmony, and Melody.

Most important would be creating a great PR hype about the unification, in all accessible media. Though I have limited hope that CC/GC will be able to achieve that.

8 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I don't see any problem here. When you do plot course, the game knows where you come from and you only have option of returning to your server.

After all, if I sail from Cad to Mel my deed won't disappear, the game still knows (collects some data) where I came from?

So, as I suspected. You are proposing that the game adds a new mechanism for tracking where a character originated.

What on earth is the point, then? Why go to the expense of creating a server where NFI and SFI players can meet, and trade, if you are also going to go to the expense of prevent players moving between NFI and SFI and also going to go to the expense of preventing goods travelling from this server to either cluster?

What is the benefit of all this expense?

50 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

So, as I suspected. You are proposing that the game adds a new mechanism for tracking where a character originated.

What on earth is the point, then? Why go to the expense of creating a server where NFI and SFI players can meet, and trade, if you are also going to go to the expense of prevent players moving between NFI and SFI and also going to go to the expense of preventing goods travelling from this server to either cluster?

What is the benefit of all this expense?

This information is probably in database anyway, and if not, it could be only simple value like 1 - SFI, 2 - NFI, it is not too much, but from this one value would depend which option you will have at plot course window.

The only thing you could take from New land is your ship and character.

For some time trading with items would look like I wrote:

SFI --> New land <-- NFI

OR

SFI --> Sea of pirates (90% water) --> New land <-- Sea of pirates (90% water) <-- NFI (to make travel longer and more challenging)

but silver earned would be used by everyone wherever they want.

People from SFI would have some time to transport their belongings to New land and settle there. If someone from NFI would like to settle there, he could too.
After few months, shut down old servers, but connection NFI-> New land should still stay one way only.

Characters from SFI shouldn't be allowed to come to NFI and no character from NFI would be able to transport items from New land to NFI maps.

This is the only server merge that would not bother me, because I would like to visit New land and explore it, but I would rather not move there.

Edited by Darnok

So the new land would have all the restrictions of the SFI (no transport to NFI) but none of the benefits (established deeds).

And SFI players would want to move there why?

So they can sell ships to northerners?

Or did you not spot that loophole in your design?

Oh wait, It's Because you're going to trash their existing servers. This is a slight departure from the original concept.

2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

So the new land would have all the restrictions of the SFI (no transport to NFI) but none of the benefits (established deeds).

And SFI players would want to move there why?

So they can sell ships to northerners?

Or did you not spot that loophole in your design?

Oh wait, It's Because you're going to trash their existing servers. This is a slight departure from the original concept.

You asked about advantages, one of the advantages would be saving resources, but if that's not a problem, SFI can stay active all the time, I don't care.

So I propose a mechanism for connecting SFI and NFI that could function as a means of emigration from SFI to NFI or vice versa, or as a long term way of connecting the clusters, and you propose a modification that adds expense and limits the possible applications.

ok