Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Let people buy Marks

To be clear, we can already, with some inefficiency, buy marks with real money. (We do this by going to the shop, asking for premium time, and putting down some real money. )

We can already, with some limitations, spend real money on items from the rewards store. (We do this by going to the shop, asking for silver, and putting down some real money. Then, we go to Trade and tell people that we WTB some reward or other.) But not all rewards can be sold.

So, what about the players who have already bought premium time up to (checks watch) 2024 or so? 

Don't you, as developer and owners of Wurm Online, want those people to be able to easily and conveniently convert their real money into your digital currency? 

Why not let them buy Marks directly ?

As I see it, the only question is how expensive it should be.

• Like 4

Yes.  Definitely.

Somewhere around here I have the basic calculation of the silver value of marks, but it is the early hours of the morning here and I am too tired to look right now.

Also - "compensation" shouldn't be sleep bonus or even sleep powder, but marks.

• Like 1

+1 but don't see it happening

They've already said in the past this won't be made a thing, they want marks to remain a loyalty reward. 

Which doesn't really hold up considering you do receive marks for purchasing silvers on the shop lol

• Like 1

This sounds like a good option for players that want to buy Marks. I know I would consider it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

the only question is how expensive it should be.

items on the shop have to be reevaluated.. as so far marks have been passive side bonus... buying them straight at wrong rate.. could allow some weird monetization or op exchanges, if that is balanced by w/e ccab scaling.. pff ez money.. let them rain, GabeN summer sale discounts etc.. let em go.. #WhoLetTheMarksOut #idk-what-sound-marks-do

1 hour ago, Synjor said:

They've already said in the past this won't be made a thing, they want marks to remain a loyalty reward. 

It's just an item shop with extra steps really. The fact is we can buy tomes and other such boosts directly with RL money now whatever false counterarguments people might bring to the table so...

Why not simplifying it directly? The flood gates have been open for a while now, and I heard of a few people buying 10 years worth of prem to buy most of the boosts with marks as a result.

I am against skill boosters tho or anything like that , let me be clear. But most of the things from the shop aren't game breaking at this point except perhaps buying moon metals for pvp but then again you can buy MM on SFI in trade chat anyway for silvers so that's not really something you can stop. 

18 minutes ago, elentari said:

It's just an item shop with extra steps really. The fact is we can buy tomes and other such boosts directly with RL money now whatever false counterarguments people might bring to the table so...

Why not simplifying it directly? The flood gates have been open for a while now, and I heard of a few people buying 10 years worth of prem to buy most of the boosts with marks as a result.

I am against skill boosters tho or anything like that , let me be clear. But most of the things from the shop aren't game breaking at this point except perhaps buying moon metals for pvp but then again you can buy MM on SFI in trade chat anyway for silvers so that's not really something you can stop. 

current shop is really not intuitive.. you have some old accounting software checkbox and names, you cant see a description or picture and explanation what that item is.. how rare is or what it does, no link to wiki or w/e for more info, unless you're ~3years into the game.. or already *somehow* know what to look for and buy.. you're down to alt-tabbing and opening the wiki or google to lookup more information for each item... - it's REALLY HARD to spend money in that shop if you think about it.

3 hours ago, elentari said:

But that's one way, you can spend marks and then sometimes sell the stuff, but not always.

Buying marks on the other hand would allow you to for example buy extra marks purely to get more affinities, should that for example be desirable? It comes pretty close to skill boosters, doesn't it?

30 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

But that's one way, you can spend marks and then sometimes sell the stuff, but not always.

Buying marks on the other hand would allow you to for example buy extra marks purely to get more affinities, should that for example be desirable? It comes pretty close to skill boosters, doesn't it?

And so we scrap the whole idea.. and instead of creating 3rd currency.. some items can remain as only possible to buy with marks... some like skins could be in the future possible to buy instead with silver also.. and balance is somewhat kept.. unless skins were to be content that is not meant to be monetized in a fast manner by ccab for some reason?

2 hours ago, Ecrir said:

If someone wants to spend 10000 Marks on a random affinity, I think Code Club will laugh all the way to the bank. Literally. Remember, it's just a 10% boost. You still need to perform actions to gain anything. And after a few hits on Papyrusmaking, Yoyos, and Small Wooden Shield, I think even the most ardent spender is going to reconsider their spending plans.

Edited by Sheffie

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

If someone wants to spend 10000 Marks on a random affinity, I think Code Club will laugh all the way to the bank. Literally. Remember, it's just a 10% boost. You still need to perform actions to gain anything. And after a few hits on Papyrusmaking, Yoyos, and Small Wooden Shield, I think even the most ardent spender is going to reconsider their spending plans.

some of the mentioned skills aren't that bad, and the affinity purchase happens more often than you'd imagine

3 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I actually did buy one, because my gimme was "paving" and that just didn't appeal at all.  I got "tailoring" which at least is something I would do anyway - but I got lucky and definitely wouldn't tempt fate for a second spin.

Marks could be Wurm's "Freemium" cash cow if CCAB's owners want cash.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ecrir said:

It comes pretty close to skill boosters, doesn't it?

ever heard of sleep powder?

• Like 1

My random affinity token I bought once from the marks shop gave me channeling on my non-priest main. RIP. 

You'd have to spend 1000s of euros to actually get the affinities you want considering the RNG involved of 100 skills. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 4:03 AM, elentari said:

Because loyalty rewards are different to just selling. 

If people choose to take advantage of the loyalty system and purchase years worth of premium in order to have an item, then that's weirdly on them. 

As some clarity for the whole system, it was aimed around the time lengths to get such things. 

A tome is 54k marks, which works out to about 12 months of prem, so in a year, you'd get a tome. Affinities are 10k because within 2-3 months of playing, getting an affinity is not a huge stretch of the imagination. 

these things are placed around the rough time to get them, people just buying years of prem doesn't change that. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 5:45 PM, Sheffie said:

To be clear, we can already, with some inefficiency, buy marks with real money. (We do this by going to the shop, asking for premium time, and putting down some real money. )

And this is what is intended for to reward/incentivise people to buy premium.

So is working as intended no need to change it.

Or perhaps let people buy the stuff in the marks store from traders and merchants.  There is already some precedent for this, with items that were sold through traders and merchants being also sold through the marks store when it was introduced.  Just flow some of the stuff back the other way, like the skins etc.  Perhaps delayed in their release through merchants (in RPG terms reflecting the time it takes for goods sold by license from the king to start showing up in the market at large).

Yeah just adding some items on traders for silver could be cool. Silver price would need to be balanced around the magic chests