Sign in to follow this  
Drogos

Let highways increase speed

Let highways have a magnificent speed increase, like 100% increase, or more. Should apply to all travel forms on the highway.

• Like 4

100% is too much and would lead to the over-paving of servers, imho... 

That said, 10-25% increase WOULD be cool, and end of the day, historically accurate as empires didn't invest tons of resources on roadworks for no reason.

Could push it a step further and give mounts/vehicles a certain increase on pavement with an extra increase on tiles that are "highway" status.

Devs, listen to Drogo on this one, it'd bring a nice chunk of good will from your playerbase back.

• Like 1

I'd personally enjoy a 10-25%ish speed increase also.

My horse used to do 38kmph and if lucky, could topple 40.

Now he caps out around 31kmph.

On highway, I barely see him above 25kmh..i'd like him to be a little bit faster on the highways so Its worth using the highway over just cutting across the countryside.

would make sense for horse gear to take less damage and for horses to go faster/less slowdown from uphill slope on roads, 100% faster sounds hilarious though, everyone zipping around so fast they'd get kicked from the server for breaking the speed cap

Would be nice. The Roman Republic expanded so efficiently due to their use of roads and having increased mobility as a result. 

100% is too much but i'd like to see a 25% - 33% increase sure or maybe even 50%. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, elentari said:

Would be nice. The Roman Republic expanded so efficiently due to their use of roads and having increased mobility as a result. 

100% is too much but i'd like to see a 25% - 33% increase sure or maybe even 50%. 

Speed bonus should depend on riding skill level or body control characteristics (+1% for each level? you start with 19.5 as new character, so +19% speed bonus on highways for newbies).

Edited by Darnok

OR was right about one thing, going at fast speeds, actually breaks the game and gets you a "desync" message. There were some sailing bugs when crossing over with a sailboat to another server that doubled the sailing speed (not sure if the bug still happens). Basically you crossed over from server A or B at say 30 km/h suddenly when on B you sailed at 60 km/h. For some it was fun, but going too fast can easily crash your client. 

this is something I noticed with the weight/speed nerf... and having identical speed on and offroad...  disappointing 

in a different game(fallen earth) with horses and vehicles, there was such boost.. can't remember the exact modifier.. but whenever you weren't just cutting through "somebody's lawn", it was better to use the road for the speed boost 

Many good suggestion here, on how the speed modifier could be calculated! Happy to read all of this!

It made me think, maybe there could be a cap to the modifier to resolve some of the potential problems. Lets say, after HW modifier is added, you would still be capped at 50kmh (or something).

1 hour ago, elentari said:

OR was right about one thing, going at fast speeds, actually breaks the game and gets you a "desync" message. There were some sailing bugs when crossing over with a sailboat to another server that doubled the sailing speed (not sure if the bug still happens). Basically you crossed over from server A or B at say 30 km/h suddenly when on B you sailed at 60 km/h. For some it was fun, but going too fast can easily crash your client. 

normal horse carts barely achieve 20km/h...

Not talking about carts, but even with old legacy "5sp" hell horses + a rare horse woa 90 ql 90 set, you can get to 40 km/ph speed. A 50 % increase of speed to that would really put stress on your client and PC trying to load everything around you as you ride at that speed. You might have good internet too but desync messages aren't always related to internet speed but rather the  < sometimes defficient > communication between client and server. 

Genius idea but speed boost should be different for horses and different for wagons/carts, also for running maybe? 30% Horse 20% Carts 10% on foot?? 

49 minutes ago, Chihuahua said:

Genius idea but speed boost should be different for horses and different for wagons/carts, also for running maybe? 30% Horse 20% Carts 10% on foot?? 

with that you'll see none to near no change overall to all groups, top speeders will constantly cap the speed and start rubberbanding nonstop, mid group with hhs will somewhat start to experience same issues, and normal carts will well.. still breath dust way way behind

I think a modest increase would go down well. It doesn't need to be much, and no one wants to get to the point where the combination of speed and lag is causing problems.

I think it's ridiculous that a cart goes off road at the same speed.

I'd put a flat +10% on every tile that's protected by catseyes -- or whatever test is easiest to implement.