Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Should steam reviews be addressed & answered by a GM/ CM/ Dev?

6 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Most of the negative reviews are quite literally targeting developers and staff for poor conduct or inaction. Here's the top 10 "Most Helpful" reviews according to Steam:

Traslogan (Negative) - 526 Helpful

Nadroj (Negative) - 442 Helpful

Lord Bob Saget (Positive) - 359 Helpful

Jenshae (Negative) - 337 Helpful

Dilbert (Negative) - 336 Helpful

Malfor (Negative) - 314 Helpful

Armynator (Negative) - 292 Helpful

Wood (Negative) - 220 Helpful

Nepocrates (Negative) - 219 Helpful

Jocktor (Negative) - 212 Helpful

Honorable Mentions:

EpicPhail (Negative) - 211 Helpful

Tiny Rick (Positive) - 168 Helpful

If I missed one highly voted in the list, it's because Steam doesn't actually allow you to sort by reviews rated most helpful. I had to manually scroll through several pages and find the ones with the highest votes.

Personally, I'd rather see the concerns mentioned in the reviews addressed rather than respond to the reviews themselves.

it's what you get with poorly trained staff(volunteer players) and misinterpretation of tos and rules, be old enough... you've seen a few cases

with the first problem... ez .. anyone on GV gets a kick to indy as new starting point.. GV remains just balancer or w/e login server and no need to waste actual resources to be playable game server.. problem solved.. or it's instead left to be base for steam lulz and bad rep toilet top voted on steam.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(rest.. not in mood to read the long ones atm)

These "highly helpful" votes do not tell much. I saw obvious "revenge reviews" with idiotic accusations getting 70 helpful and 12 funny within less than an hour. There seemed to be crusaders at work. No idea if they still are. I stopped watching the steam scene for quite a while.

Of course, in some of the negative, and the positive reviews real issues are addressed. But I saw nothing (except the obvious crap) not already raised here in the forums and ingame chats. So the problem rather is that the company and team rarely if ever and often insufficiently address players' concerns, critique, and ideas. Given that steam display never more than 100 to 150 players logged in at times when Niarja reports up to 700+, not addressing the "steam wurm community" seems a lesser problem.

Generally, the PR of the company was already non existant to terrible in Rolf's times, and has not improved since. So deficits in the steam wurm pages are not really astonishing.

This is trifficult.

When I worked at Funcom there were dedicated community management staff who would spend basically their entire working days talking with players ingame and on teh forums, organizing community events, and whatnot. There's apparently no prospect of Code Club spending that kind of money on community relations; we are necessarily going to be left with well meaning amateurs speaking up for the game. And even professionals find it difficult to deal with all the malcontents out there. In a system where anyone who played the game can review it, and anyone can upvote a review, and both processes are free... there's going to be a lot of crap out there.

• Like 2