Sign in to follow this  
fencejumper

Reduced height forges and ovens

New forge type that is the same height as Open Fireplaces, perhaps with the option to convert existing forges with a stone chisel.

While building my house I noticed that the tops of my forge sticks through the floor above it, It would be nice if we could get reduced height forges, similar to how the open fireplace is.

I can make up rough sketches if people need a graphic reprsentation.

After thought, also oven please. :)

Oh, no, the chimney needs to go through the ceiling.  What we need are separate chimneys that we can add to forges, ovens etc to extend it up through each floor and out the roof.

• Like 6

I agree, looks good for 1 floor houses but looks stupid when it stops on 2. Floor.

A way to adjust hights would be nice.

+1  I hate it when I'm forced to cover chimney on first floor with some bookshelf. At least it can disappear and not going through the floor

17 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Oh, no, the chimney needs to go through the ceiling.  What we need are separate chimneys that we can add to forges, ovens etc to extend it up through each floor and out the roof.

Or make it possible to have a chimney exit the side of the building as well. Leaving the upper floors out of the equation but still venting the smoke outside.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Katrat said:

Or make it possible to have a chimney exit the side of the building as well. Leaving the upper floors out of the equation but still venting the smoke outside.

Yes!

So two kinds of chimney, a straight one and and elbow one - stone for the former and metal for the latter?  The metal one could be a double elbow, with a hat 😀

• Like 3

Since we are talking about adding things to forges and ovens, I want to hook up a water tank so I can have nice hot bath.  😃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Since we are talking about adding things to forges and ovens, I want to hook up a water tank so I can have nice hot bath.  😃

Totally veering off topic here but I would love to be able to make lavender and rose soaps. 🛁🧼

• Like 1

I think a better idea would be to extend the forge or oven model further back, so that half of the model can extend out through a wall. This is how I remember fireplaces and chimneys working, at least. 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I think a better idea would be to extend the forge or oven model further back, so that half of the model can extend out through a wall. This is how I remember fireplaces and chimneys working, at least. 

This could work, where they are up against an external wall, but not against an internal wall.  They would still need to extend to clear the roofline.

Edit:  I have lived in a few very old houses with fireplaces and they all had chimneys that extending up through the roof line.  On was the "cooking fireplace" in the kitchen, and was massive and on an external wall, but still had a tall chimney that when up through the roof.  Mind you, in my part of the world, wide eaves are a thing and the only way to get that in Wurm is to another tile wide and make arches.

Edited by TheTrickster

8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

This would be a much simpler solution.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, Katrat said:

On 7/28/2021 at 1:19 AM, TheTrickster said:

Yes to both of these, add an option to convert it to a side vent that sticks out past the wall, or to extend it in height for multi story buildings. My house looks like it is on fire most of the time.