Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's storage suggestions

12 hours ago, Darnok said:

I'm not arguing, just explaining why my post does not contain the names you suggested, which does not mean that I am against adding them.

"This isn't an argument; it is merely contradiction."

"No, it isnt!"

😂

• Like 1

Darnok isn't arguing, just kindly informing you of why you are wrong.

As we've seen, compromise is the enemy. This suggestion is not going to make it into the game without changes; therefore, no one, not even the OP, wants it.

• Like 2

Cooking
The current skill gain for cooking is fine, but maybe additionally when tasting or eating, player who created the dish should also receive skill gain?

Additionally, if a cook would receive skill gain while other players were eating his dish, it would also give cook some bonuses and should create some more community building experience.

Character doesn't need much food to survive, but that could be easily changed and rate of hunger could be increased a little?

Food storage and containers
I have some ideas for improving the containers:

1. The only food storage container that works as is should is larder and all others, especially FSB, should work in a similar way.

Meat and fruits gathered in the FSB should spoil pretty fast, seeds and vegetables a little slower, putting snowballs should have an impact on this process.

2. All containers crates, bsb, fsb, barrels, amphoras, small and large chests... should stop decay of items inside, but only if ql of that item is lower than ql of container (so if you put high ql logs inside low ql crate they would decay, I suggested adding a container for fallen trees and it could work same way or if wagon ql is higher than ql of fallen tree then tree doesn't decay).

3. Priests should get a spell that creates a magic container in which items don't decay (can be used only on crate, bsb and fsb)

4. Sometimes inspiration comes when player creates a container, so it would be good to reward such things as well.

Rare containers (chests) should work like the ones we can buy from the store (small and large magical chest) and rare fsb, bsb and crates should work like it would have 100ql or would be protected by priest spell.
There are runes that increase capacity of mailboxes or wagons, so maybe a rare container could also have larger capacity?

2 and 3 they can also be treated as two elements of the same solution. Player would have the choice to either buy a high ql container from a good carpenter or make his own low ql container and buy a cast from a priest.

Edited by Darnok

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Darnok said:

Cooking
The current skill gain for cooking is fine, but maybe additionally when tasting or eating, player who created the dish should also receive skill gain?

Additionally, if a cook would receive skill gain while other players were eating his dish, it would also give cook some bonuses and should create some more community building experience.

Character doesn't need much food to survive, but that could be easily changed and rate of hunger could be increased a little?

Food storage and containers

1. The only food storage container that works as is should is larder and all others, especially FSB, should work in a similar way.

Meat and fruits gathered in the FSB should spoil pretty fast, seeds and vegetables a little slower, putting snowballs should have an impact on this process.

2. All containers crates, bsb, fsb, barrels, amphoras, small and large chests... should stop decay of items inside, but only if ql of that item is lower than ql of container (so if you put high ql logs inside low ql crate they would decay, I suggested adding a container for fallen trees and it could work same way or if wagon ql is higher than ql of fallen tree then tree doesn't decay).

3. Priests should get a spell that creates a magic container in which items don't decay (can be used only on crate, bsb and fsb)

4. Sometimes inspiration comes when player creates a container, so it would be good to reward such things as well.

Rare containers (chests) should work like the ones we can buy from the store (small and large magical chest) and rare fsb, bsb and crates should work like it would have 100ql or would be protected by priest spell.
There are runes that increase capacity of mailboxes or wagons, so maybe a rare container could also have larger capacity?

2 and 3 they can also be treated as two elements of the same solution. Player would have the choice to either buy a high ql container from a good carpenter or make his own low ql container and buy a cast from a priest.

Already is a thing, you get skill based on food's difficulty to make and your player skill.. + some rng rolls, this only happens when it cooks.

EXPOITABLE or easy to abuse(gaining skill when other eat the food), bulk cooking is a thing.. it's easy to abuse with alts and sending food around for free or not.

1 Nope - fsb is fine, else you'd never have food and whenever you need some you'll spend extra 2+ hours to find ingredients etc.. or be forced to buy 10/+ magic chests -> "game gets dumped as pay2win and else being pointless to play blah blah.. "

Larder holds cooked food or ingredients(up to you), fsb/crates hold ingredients and uncooked edibles as bulk/volume material, ql averates and it's like 1 item with many pieces.. where you can else store different unique meals/pizzas/ingredients in larders - but there the food eventually takes some decay tick.

2 Wont work, this kills 1 good money maker from traders, possibly the only one that makes sense for people to eventually buy as longer term storage - magic chests - works for food and items - 0 decay.

Player-created containers lower the damage randomly caused to the items inside by decay system; this applies to items and decorations inside, where else 'decoration' items placed as such outside of containers take no damage ondeed.

3 That is already a thing for volume based containers (crates/fsb/bsb/4xbsb)ondeed and offdeed.(it's taxed with 5% monthly volume loss offdeed)

4 Way too easy to create.. some players literally login to create spam all day and exploit rarity system and sell rare/supreme items; suggestion will kill some trader npc market and company income, wont happen.(guessing)

You really need to research some information before suggesting, your original post is halfway implemented, other part is most likely not going to happen as income killer.

• Like 5

On 8/25/2021 at 7:33 PM, Finnn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Already is a thing, you get skill based on food's difficulty to make and your player skill.. + some rng rolls, this only happens when it cooks.

EXPOITABLE or easy to abuse(gaining skill when other eat the food), bulk cooking is a thing.. it's easy to abuse with alts and sending food around for free or not.

So it would only be limited to premium characters.

Maybe on PvE servers it would be as written, but on PvP servers players would rather try to help cook in their group.

On PvE, I also think that the mechanism would be more complicated, especially if the possibilities of storing raw ingredients in FSB would be limited.

1 Nope - fsb is fine, else you'd never have food and whenever you need some you'll spend extra 2+ hours to find ingredients etc.. or be forced to buy 10/+ magic chests -> "game gets dumped as pay2win and else being pointless to play blah blah.. "

Larder holds cooked food or ingredients(up to you), fsb/crates hold ingredients and uncooked edibles as bulk/volume material, ql averates and it's like 1 item with many pieces.. where you can else store different unique meals/pizzas/ingredients in larders - but there the food eventually takes some decay tick.

2 Wont work, this kills 1 good money maker from traders, possibly the only one that makes sense for people to eventually buy as longer term storage - magic chests - works for food and items - 0 decay.

Player-created containers lower the damage randomly caused to the items inside by decay system; this applies to items and decorations inside, where else 'decoration' items placed as such outside of containers take no damage ondeed.

3 That is already a thing for volume based containers (crates/fsb/bsb/4xbsb)ondeed and offdeed.(it's taxed with 5% monthly volume loss offdeed)

4 Way too easy to create.. some players literally login to create spam all day and exploit rarity system and sell rare/supreme items; suggestion will kill some trader npc market and company income, wont happen.(guessing)

You really need to research some information before suggesting, your original post is halfway implemented, other part is most likely not going to happen as income killer.

4. I understand that persuading Devs to make small and large chests work like their magical and expensive counterparts is a rather difficult matter, but players overuse alts or merchants for storing items anyway.

So if a small and large rare chest would prevent decaying items below it's quality level then it would make sense and would be less of a abuse than doing a free alt to do the same.

2 and 3. I mean BSB and crates mostly in this part, items inside don't decay at the moment.
After adding my suggestion, if the BSB or crate would have a lower ql than quality of stored items, these items should receive a decay hit.

A new spell for priests probably wouldn't hurt anyone and carpenters would not have to grind their skills in a pointless way, instead they would improve containers for themselves and other players.

I do not see any disadvantages in this idea,

- new players do not have high-quality materials,

- average players either have skills to make medium ql BSB for their medium ql materials or have money to buy high ql BSB or spell cast,

- high level carpenter that has high ql materials will make a high ql BSB for himself,

- and the rest of advanced players have second character priest, who will be able to enchant low ql BSB.

1. There are two options here either

- 100 ql FSB would still stop decay of every item inside, just like right now. The difference would be for those FSB of lower quality where they might require snowballs to keep meat/vegetables/etc fresh above their quality level.

OR

- the game limits players storing tons of raw ingredients and even a 100ql FSB with snowballs only slows down the decay but never stops it.

Edited by Darnok

On 8/25/2021 at 8:20 AM, Darnok said:

What you have, is a peculiar definition of the word "Improve"

The nastiness of these suggestions is matched only by the ignorance of existing mechanics

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

What you have, is a peculiar definition of the word "Improve"

A 100ql container is better than a 10ql container, so this idea would definitely improve many containers 😉

The nastiness of these suggestions is matched only by the ignorance of existing mechanics

How carpenters are leveling their skills at the moment?

They improve many items that are unnecessary for them or for other players?

Edited by Darnok

22 hours ago, Darnok said:

A 100ql container is better than a 10ql container, so this idea would definitely improve many containers 😉

Yes yes very funny. Trying to move the goalposts when called one one's ###### is hilarious.

Things are not "improved" by being nerfed to the point that a newbie can no longer live a self sufficient life with the quality of tools and furniture that they can easily make for themselves. The self-sufficient homesteader is a mainstay of Wurm culture. Requiring those players to get "100ql containers rather than 10ql containers" would not make the game better in any way.

You try to justify so many suggestions based on how many people have left because of the current game, but you never seem to consider how many people your proposals would drive away.

14 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Things are not "improved" by being nerfed to the point that a newbie can no longer live a self sufficient life with the quality of tools and furniture that they can easily make for themselves. The self-sufficient homesteader is a mainstay of Wurm culture. Requiring those players to get "100ql containers rather than 10ql containers" would not make the game better in any way.

You missed half my idea...

This half where I say about buff for 100ql small and large rare chests, so they should work like small and large magical chests.

If these requirements are too low, you can add more and require use of silver or gold nails or ribbons, for example (probably no one would complain about new decorations and prices of poor quality silver and gold would also increase, which in my opinion would be positive).

As for BSB, crates and FSB nerfs... yes, it seems like a good idea to me, but that's because I like the variety of containers in Wurm, but I dislike fact this function from carpenter's point of view looks like it's unfinished, because carpenter can do 100ql containers, but the game does not require it from him.

It's like a blacksmith making tools wouldn't have to improve them, because fact that each of us needs a high-quality tool makes game burdensome and many people will give up because of it...

I think it is on contrary, fact that high-quality tools are required is reason there are many blacksmiths in game and if tools of low quality could do everything in the same way as 100ql tools, many players would gave up for this reason.

You try to justify so many suggestions based on how many people have left because of the current game, but you never seem to consider how many people your proposals would drive away.

Because it is impossible, you can only estimate your interpretation of reality, not reality, but your interpretation of reality may be wrong.

Edited by Darnok

You missed all of my point.

You're taking a system where people can be self sufficient with modest carpentry skills, and preserve their food, and turning it into a system where people have to either become master carpenters or start paying them 

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

You're taking a system where people can be self sufficient with modest carpentry skills, and preserve their food, and turning it into a system where people have to either become master carpenters or start paying them 

By now you should have learned to not get surprised by that.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, Darnok said:

So it would only be limited to premium characters.

Maybe on PvE servers it would be as written, but on PvP servers players would rather try to help cook in their group.

On PvE, I also think that the mechanism would be more complicated, especially if the possibilities of storing raw ingredients in FSB would be limited.

4. I understand that persuading Devs to make small and large chests work like their magical and expensive counterparts is a rather difficult matter, but players overuse alts or merchants for storing items anyway.

So if a small and large rare chest would prevent decaying items below it's quality level then it would make sense and would be less of a abuse than doing a free alt to do the same.

2 and 3. I mean BSB and crates mostly in this part, items inside don't decay at the moment.
After adding my suggestion, if the BSB or crate would have a lower ql than quality of stored items, these items should receive a decay hit.

A new spell for priests probably wouldn't hurt anyone and carpenters would not have to grind their skills in a pointless way, instead they would improve containers for themselves and other players.

I do not see any disadvantages in this idea,

- new players do not have high-quality materials,

- average players either have skills to make medium ql BSB for their medium ql materials or have money to buy high ql BSB or spell cast,

- high level carpenter that has high ql materials will make a high ql BSB for himself,

- and the rest of advanced players have second character priest, who will be able to enchant low ql BSB.

1. There are two options here either

- 100 ql FSB would still stop decay of every item inside, just like right now. The difference would be for those FSB of lower quality where they might require snowballs to keep meat/vegetables/etc fresh above their quality level.

OR

- the game limits players storing tons of raw ingredients and even a 100ql FSB with snowballs only slows down the decay but never stops it.

I did not say anything about f2ps, prem or not, it's easy to exploit.

alts rip after 3 months if not logged in as f2ps, premmed are a thing, old cost less, now it's 8s for 2 months, and they are weight limited, m.chests are volume/size limited, both come with their location bonus or limitations.. same for mechants with their special decay or not oddities.

Probably the only good idea I'm witnessing from these posts is to have rare chests have limit of lets say ql50 items stored inside to not decay below that ql, so item remains indefinitely preserved at whatever ql(50 or other) rather than decaying. Makes sense for storage of random junk or bounty.. chests could still decay or not but prevent content's decay below <whatever_dev_chosen_ql>. This greatly benefits rarity spammers, and already owners of such with extra semi magic chest.. if we need it.. meh, can't care less if it's in the game as new mechanic or not.. f2ps or cheaper players could enjoy it as free craftable with special use.

2 and 3.. no, learn how hard(as spending time) it is to get 100 skill and to achieve actual ql100 on an item with improvement starting from ql1 or 25.

Once you realize that you might want to repeatedly facepalm hard uncontrollably, reason is unclear .. maybe it's your idea, maybe it's the way the game is or it's the players playing with such mechanics.

But level 100 and ql 100 are stupid amount of effort, practically they do not exist in the game, another funny part is .. ql99 and 100 aren't much different from 90 and the amount of work for the 2 higher up is ridiculous.

If you're still not convinced, read and ask about it, enjoy your findings.

1 No, read about 2 and 3. Snowballs already help with the decay, but there's still decay rolling and trolling, because the item is not magic chest. You can have nice things, but you can't have nicest things for free. 

ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE, you can do just about anything in the game and earn silver and buy magic chest from the trader at any point of time, being level 1 or having 100x 100 levels, spending nothing or a lot of IRL cash. Do not confuse any of that as pay2win etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sheffie said:

The problem with newbies can be solved very easily... just a low quality BSB, crate or FSB will have a minimum value of protection 20 or 30 and then even with a 5ql BSB your items with 19ql or even 29ql will not decay.

But if you want to store items of 40ql then you need to upgrade your container to 40+ quality.
Or get lucky and craft rare BSB, FSB or crate 🙂

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

2 and 3.. no, learn how hard(as spending time) it is to get 100 skill and to achieve actual ql100 on an item with improvement starting from ql1 or 25.

Once you realize that you might want to repeatedly facepalm hard uncontrollably, reason is unclear .. maybe it's your idea, maybe it's the way the game is or it's the players playing with such mechanics.

But level 100 and ql 100 are stupid amount of effort, practically they do not exist in the game, another funny part is .. ql99 and 100 aren't much different from 90 and the amount of work for the 2 higher up is ridiculous.

If you're still not convinced, read and ask about it, enjoy your findings.

I don't know how difficult it is to make a 100ql item, but I know how it is with 80ql 🙂
True, it takes hours, but after all, we are talking about late game items here, because 80+ is a quality for late game, so storing such items in large quantities should be a bit more demanding.

I have given several options to have the BSB, FSB and crate container prevent decay:
- the quality of container must be higher than quality of the items inside,
- a rare container gives protection up to 100ql,
- priests can cast a protective spell (although this part can be expanded, more on that below),
- Devs can offer 100ql BSB, FSB and crates in store at reasonable prices, which will be quite logical and could compensate for rest of my idea (the one with small and large chests)

- houses, if have a roof, can add 5% for every 10ql of average quality of all walls on a given floor, up to maximum value that containers can protect. The more difficult the type of walls to build, the higher the bonus of course.

So if you have a BSB 90ql inside a house that has a roof and walls of 20-30ql (bonus +10%) you get a BSB that will protect items with 99ql quality against decay.

As for priests spells they have, can have different powers, so solution for decay problem can be extended in different ways.
For example, there may be one simple spell that will work like a "rare" one and no matter what power it is cast with, it will always increase protection for items up to 100ql inside container (BSB, FSB or crates) of any quality.

OR

There may be two different spells, one of which will be an alternative to quality, that means 50 power spell will only protect items inside BSB that are below 50 quality, but no matter what is quality of BSB.

And the second spell would enhance BSB's protective value that is based on quality of container.

So BSB 60ql (protects items below 60ql), but if this spell with a power of 50 is cast, BSB protection value increases by 50%, so items below 90ql are protected.

Thus, if carpenter and priest were to act separately, it would take them more effort to create a container to protect items with a high quality,

but if they were to act together it would be easier for them to create BSB, FSB or crates protecting items with very high quality.

I like choices 😄

Edited by Darnok

The reply that fits best is the famous "you think you do, but you don't".

• Like 3

Again proposals without any understanding of how the game works, now especially griefing lower level players. For those, higher ql materials constitute real valuables. When longer in game (not just spamming worthless proposals), higher ql mats and items become available much more and much easier.

I well remember how I diligently collected leftover high ql logs from deforesting spots of high level loggers (which usually leave the single logs from mature to shriveled trees behind, just load the felled trees). They were incredibly useful for me for several crafts, and I could store them in crates named for quality ranges. A new player would be cut off from such resources.

But no wonder that someone without a clue of the game, no will to learn, makes such suggestions. .

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, Ekcin said:

Again proposals without any understanding of how the game works, now especially griefing lower level players. For those, higher ql materials constitute real valuables. When longer in game (not just spamming worthless proposals), higher ql mats and items become available much more and much easier.

Exactly, and my idea would slightly extend time everyone needs to reach late game content/quality, especially if someone intends to produce and store such materials in large quantities... and that is without increasing the duration of the action or reducing skill gain for each action, oh no what a terrible idea 🙂

I well remember how I diligently collected leftover high ql logs from deforesting spots of high level loggers (which usually leave the single logs from mature to shriveled trees behind, just load the felled trees). They were incredibly useful for me for several crafts, and I could store them in crates named for quality ranges. A new player would be cut off from such resources.

But no wonder that someone without a clue of the game, no will to learn, makes such suggestions. .

And you could still do that, but after few days quality of those logs would drop, if you did not buy the appropriate container from players or from the store.

So you have choice again... use them as soon as possible or buy/make better container 🙂

Edited by Darnok

Hey, could you clarify what you consider "late game content" in this context? 

And could you clarify how you feel this impacts other areas of the game? 

The only modification i would want to see implemented to current cooking would be an ingame way of knowing what affinity you would get from cooking the ingredients you mixed in.

Basically at 50 cookin skill be able to do Lore on the container and get an info about the recipe like it is now and an estimation of the affinity if would give.

And say at 70cookin skill say exactly what affinity you will get.

Maybe having skill gating the  affinity would lock too many people out of a good quality of life improvement so i would say just tell exactly what affinity the toon doing the Lore action would get.

Just let people have fun mix and match ingredients trying to discover recipes while getting the affinities they want.

33 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

The only modification i would want to see implemented to current cooking would be an ingame way of knowing what affinity you would get from cooking the ingredients you mixed in.

Basically at 50 cookin skill be able to do Lore on the container and get an info about the recipe like it is now and an estimation of the affinity if would give.

And say at 70cookin skill say exactly what affinity you will get.

Maybe having skill gating the  affinity would lock too many people out of a good quality of life improvement so i would say just tell exactly what affinity the toon doing the Lore action would get.

Just let people have fun mix and match ingredients trying to discover recipes while getting the affinities they want.

Should be made simpler than tossing random items and right click - lore-ing to check it constantly.. somehow player's affinity base and ingredient aff numbers etc.. all should be in-game mechanic, not a document requiring lots of math or online calculators and excel spreadsheets.

Trying things for fun sounds 'fun' for 2 randomly useful affinities.. but when you think about wanting to make 20 specific or more meals or pizzas, things do not look so casual.

If the cooking update had some extra mechanics as rewards for hitting 50 - 70- 90 - 100 HFC, that would be great. 

For example at 90 HFC = You should get an option to do the following for full house pizza: 

1. Right click on empty pan 

2. Use "affinity lore"

3. A pop up box with a skill list appears. 

4. You select your desired affinity, ex: Body Strength

5. You get a popup message " You can craft a full house pizza using the following ingredients: snake meat, ground turmeric, salt, chopped mint, etc etc" 

Basically this implements the affinity calculator as an ingame mechanic based on the idea it's a reward for hitting a high skill in HFC. 

20 minutes ago, elentari said:

If the cooking update had some extra mechanics as rewards for hitting 50 - 70- 90 - 100 HFC, that would be great. 

For example at 90 HFC = You should get an option to do the following for full house pizza: 

1. Right click on empty pan 

2. Use "affinity lore"

3. A pop up box with a skill list appears. 

4. You select your desired affinity, ex: Body Strength

5. You get a popup message " You can craft a full house pizza using the following ingredients: snake meat, ground turmeric, salt, chopped mint, etc etc" 

Basically this implements the affinity calculator as an ingame mechanic based on the idea it's a reward for hitting a high skill in HFC. 

Wont work... unless you open fsb or 2 or 5 or 200 or have them in same room or tile etc..... etc.... to locate the available ingredients, you should also be able to set limits or at least min-max value for such and use only what you have around or set that in some way.

Useless to get a recipe which you can not cook because you lack some nuts/berries/fruits/etc.. while you can cook same affinity with 5-10 ingredients and prepare meats for example in several ways..

From wu recipes: Spoiler alert, you can not unsee what you.. it's too late.. now you know.

Spoiler

2a79eb4ce52ad0e18e132b22ea0fd25a.png

20 minutes ago, elentari said:

That would be great and the game already has correct volumes for everything so it could fill the pan or other container to the brim, without overfilling it.

The one thing which i'm not sure how to solve is how to determine which ingredients to use?

For example you could get affinity for Tracking from bear meat + tomato and that will last about half of a second.

Some sort of complexity (perhaps also skill dependent) would need to be added so that if you have high enough skill, you can start using processed ingredients and higher number of distinct ingredients to increase the resulting affinity timers?

Calculating the affinity is simple enough. Volumes are already in game so that's easy as well but plugging them in together with food complexity, depending on what the player has available and what kind of timer are they aiming for might be a bit messy.

So at the same skill level you can make 1h affinity meal using 15 raw ingredients or you can make 1h affinity using 6-7 processed ingredients.

This is what i don't know how would the player be allowed to decide, without implementing 400 additional tick boxes and effectively reproducing the 3rd party tools which are already available.

Unless we assume that all players have a knife and can chop the ingredients and fry them without much quality loss. All can dice -> mince the meat, all have every possible ingredient and the built in system suggests only the most complex ingredients and as many distinct ingredients every time, then that could be done easily. A bit problematic though for someone who is missing that one nut type or ran out of HQL belladonna. 

That might cause new market to emerge though. Assuming that the cook has everything makes the cook buy the ingredients from someone in order to use this system?

Either way, this should be in game since the new cooking system was implemented. At least a simple lore message before cooking the meal, if nothing else.

Darnok: I'm kidnapping your firstborn and holding them to ransom. 

What?

You have a choice. Stop complaining!

On 8/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, Archaed said:

Hey, could you clarify what you consider "late game content" in this context? 

90+ql

On 8/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, Archaed said:

And could you clarify how you feel this impacts other areas of the game? 

This has already been answered before.
The idea should slow down the possibility of collecting a large amount of high-quality materials,

keep carpenters and partly priests busy, by upgrading and enchanting containers

and increase number of buildings with a roof, because containers in buildings would offer a bonus protection.