Sign in to follow this  
MrKettle

Taking out Child from horse names

4 hours ago, Drayka said:

@MrKettlethank-you for your OP and raising awareness of this issue.

Please excuse me if I find it productive to explore the impact of censorship on humanity by encouraging a high-energy conversation about the philosophical implications of self-preservation and aspiration, versus self-sacrifice and privation, in my own, flawed way.

ma'am this is a Wendy's

If it's a quick fix, sure; no harm in it.  It removes some diversity, but offending the Tumblr crowd is generally ill advised.

If it's a difficult fix, then maybe put it on the pile; the game has many more pressing issues to resolve.

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

man every suggestion thread is a warzone nowadays

When you have a lot of angry people, that anger finds its way to earth itself.

Edited by Etherdrifter

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

ma'am this is a Wendy's

Huh? That entire sentence conveyed zero information to me. Could someone please rephrase, preferably in a more widely known version of the English language.

Edited by Drayka

If you find something triggering then that is showing you that you have unresolved issues to deal with.  Any censorship act is a way to not see or deal with something anymore.

Other things where people talk about trauma, well that is the most biggest issue to deal with.  If you don't deal with it then it will effect you for the rest of your life. 

Take note also of the mass apology too. Also why doss every topic go into a war zone?  Unless you look to find out why these things are happening, they will keep happening. 

True empthy in my view is dealing with your own issues and not projecting them externally.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zexos said:

True empthy in my view is dealing with your own issues and not projecting them externally.

So the way to deal with being trapped and dying of thirst is to get over your delusion of any right to live and die quietly, so scavengers can get on with eating your corpse and you made zero negative impact on anyone else?

Agreed, a human baby has no empathy by your definitions. They are committing a socially-condemnable act by crying because they cannot look after themselves. All mammals should be culled as species, and only reptiles that hatch self-sufficient-from-birth young should be allowed to exist.

Q.E.D. Humanity should cull itself for failing to live up to its own expectations of humanity. 😂 Next?

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

That actually made even LESS sense. Truly impressive!

Edited by Drayka

20 minutes ago, Drayka said:

So the way to deal with being trapped and dying of thirst is to get over your delusion of any right to live and die quietly, so scavengers can get on with eating your corpse and you made zero negative impact on anyone else?

Agreed, a human baby has no empathy by your definitions. They are committing a socially-condemnable act by crying because they cannot look after themselves. All mammals should be culled as species, and only reptiles that hatch self-sufficient-from-birth young should be allowed to exist.

Q.E.D. Humanity should cull itself for failing to live up to its own expectations of humanity. 😂 Next?

Why would I mean that? 

It seems that you think I was talking about physical issues such as eating, need warmth... Etc. 

Nope, I meant your own mental internal issues.  That is why I said about projecting them externally. 

This is philosophy. Like Jordan Peterson says "Clean your room" which means "Sort out your own mental mess first so that all of that rubbish does not pile out onto someone else" 

Alan Watts, eckhart tolle, osho.... Etc are all great people to find out more information from 🙂

Also what was with the "Next?".? 

1 hour ago, Zexos said:

If you find something triggering then that is showing you that you have unresolved issues to deal with.  Any censorship act is a way to not see or deal with something anymore.

Other things where people talk about trauma, well that is the most biggest issue to deal with.  If you don't deal with it then it will effect you for the rest of your life. 

Take note also of the mass apology too. Also why doss every topic go into a war zone?  Unless you look to find out why these things are happening, they will keep happening. 

Honestly this is so offensive that I'm going to take off my empathy hat and put on my psychology hat and explain why this is offensive 

First of all when you're blaming other people for being triggered and blaming it on unresolved trauma you have zero clue who you are talking to and what they have been through so even on a basic philosophical level it's an incredibly ignorant comment to make.

Secondly, this isn't censorship, it's not censoring anything but a word bank run by a computer. 

And lastly that's absolutely not what empathy is, it's being sensitive and compassionate to others which is the exact opposite of what you just said. But thanks for the advice, even if it's the opposite of everything I learned in college about psychology and psychotherapy.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MrKettle said:

Honestly this is so offensive that I'm going to take off my empathy hat and put on my psychology hat and explain why this is offensive 

First of all when you're blaming other people for being triggered and blaming it on unresolved trauma you have zero clue who you are talking to and what they have been through so even on a basic philosophical level it's an incredibly ignorant comment to make.

Secondly, this isn't censorship, it's not censoring anything but a word bank run by a computer. 

And lastly that's absolutely not what empathy is, it's being sensitive and compassionate to others which is the exact opposite of what you just said. But thanks for the advice, even if it's the opposite of everything I learned in college about psychology and psychotherapy.

Okay let's clear things up. 

My post was me saying what "I" saw other people saying in the topic. 

I was not blaming anyone because why would I do that? 

I was seeing lots of people being triggered and I was seeing people assuming that other people in the topic may have trauma and that might be a good reason for censoring words. 

I came in and basically was trying to say that from my own experience, when I project things onto others, that is showing that there are issues to deal with. 

I was trying to show people that if I see this in myself then maybe they can see it in themselves too.  Then we can all work on our internal issues together and then less censorship would happen.  Because if you accept something within yourself fully then it will not be such a big deal anymore. 

2 hours ago, Zexos said:

Also what was with the "Next?".? 

Next definition of empathy please, because that one is too unworkable to even begin to do anything but laugh at it as a workable definition at this point.

1 hour ago, Zexos said:

I came in and basically was trying to say that from my own experience, when I project things onto others, that is showing that there are issues to deal with. 

That will get you X far - I've been doing it for the past 20 years. In the long run it has led to a steady and ceaseless deterioration of my mental health, even as I seemed to be making huge progress in resolving these 'issues' with other people and thus avoiding 'making their life worse with my problems'.

34 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Next definition of empathy please, because that one is too unworkable to even begin to do anything but laugh at it as a workable definition at this point.

That will get you X far - I've been doing it for the past 20 years. In the long run it has led to a steady and ceaseless deterioration of my mental health, even as I seemed to be making huge progress in resolving these 'issues' with other people and thus avoiding 'making their life worse with my problems'.

Okay fine, ###### being nice and ###### my image then. 

Because all of this drama bothered me while I was away on holiday. 

Tear me apart then because wurm is the most serious business there is. 

It is a word. Child. Omg wow let's create a huge drama storm and get into a big serious debate over censorship issues and the state of the world. 

It is a video game.

Children and trauma is one of the most taboo topics.  It's like if you don't agree then you are a heartless monster and you deserve to be attacked till kingdom Kong. 

I am a human being who just happens to not like censorship.  Apart from of course when it works in my favour.  

I did not want the censorshippers to censor a word and so I tried to censor the censorshippers.  See how it feels to be shut down and censored!  Do you like it?  

Ejdudtrtjfrjdgd aaaaaaa!   You guys can be so annoying and so can I.  Let's just agree on that eh

12 hours ago, Drayka said:

A BETTER way to do it, would be to allow players to individually exclude specific names from the naming pool, as with censor and phobia mechanics. But that takes more coding complexity than simply removing 1 word from a database.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drayka said:

That's a good idea 

For anyone new to the thread, so far there's been one response to the ops request by sme, pointing out manchild is a desired horse name of hers. 

The rest of the comments are arguing whether empathy is caring about others or not. 

8 hours ago, Archaed said:

ma'am this is a Wendy's

Did you just assume their gender? also how do you know if they/them are foodies?

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drayka said:
14 hours ago, Drayka said:

A BETTER way to do it, would be to allow players to individually exclude specific names from the naming pool, as with censor and phobia mechanics. But that takes more coding complexity than simply removing 1 word from a database.

I like this. +1 for customization options. We do have the "chat censor" in settings for a reason, turned on or off. 

6 minutes ago, Jeston said:

Did you just assume their gender? also how do you know if they/them are foodies?

Horses in Wurm now have only 2 genders. Useful foals (live) and bad RNG foals (dead). 

• Like 1

Whatever our opinions may be on this subject, we should all agree that the real takeaway of this conversation should be the random mention of the confederate flag, in a conversation about how my horse has a creepy name.  I vote to make that our agree to disagree point and then we can all go back to being friends and not trying to be Michael Jordan making dunks on people.

• Like 1

To be honest, maybe it is me as a non native English speaker (though I have a background in scientific publications,  English and American literature, and tech writing, further family members from US and UK,  so I am not completely unfamiliar with). But simply, I did not get the problem with a horse name childfantasy (especially that one, as a child, I dreamt and had fantasies about having or riding a horse), or the name part child in horse names. I started to wonder which could be the next target, maybe sweet in horse names, or whichever.

If it is offensive or scary for anyone, I would indeed advocate a feature allowing to remove or obscure text parts in client, configurable by the user.

What scared me, was Etherdrifter's remark

It removes some diversity, but offending the Tumblr crowd is generally ill advised.

If I understand that right, we may have to face mobs from the "social media" cloacas objecting "incorrect" wording if we do not comply. That mere idea is more frightening than any monster, especially for people who have experienced mobs in action.

• Like 2

I- wtf? 

Now the question is, do you genuinely disagree with the removal of one word? (Child) Or are you just in a tizzy about someone suggesting something, that has zero impact on you, being removed?? 

Because let us be real, your freedom or creativity is not being removed. You can name that horse as you please, a brand name, a name tag, or hell simply calling the horse a name that's not even displayed in game.

• Like 2

This is my favourite kind of thread.

Not because of the suggestion. But because it displays boomers acting more delicate than the snowflakes they try and mock.

• Like 2

Should not one stick to the subject? Stereotypes like "boomers" and "snowflakes" are hardly on topic. Ok, 90% of the contributions are off topic. Actually I hold limited understanding for the proposal, but do not rule out that things elapsed me. But if an innocent word like child is offensive, every word could be in the eye of the beholder. Therefore, not belittling or discarding the demand flatly, I think that only a client side solution is appropriate.

Yes, on the actual topic.

I'm whatever on this. I can see why for some might be uncomfortable, I can also see why some would not care. I don't really understand why anyone would be valiantly against this change though, beyond wanting a horse called Manchild.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

But simply, I did not get the problem with a horse name childfantasy (especially that one, as a child, I dreamt and had fantasies about having or riding a horse), or the name part child in horse names.

I'm a native speaker Ekcin, and I don't get it either aside from people having dirty minds. Your thoughts were the same as mine - an innocent name with nothing insidious about it. This thread has definitely become something else though. Best thing I've seen come of it, though, was the suggestion for people to be able to censor these things individually.