Sign in to follow this  
LionIX

Decay Abandoned Beehives

Please accelerate decay on off-deed beehives if they haven't been opened in 3 months. There's a region on Release which is spammed with them and the owner hasn't been around in years. They're still in really good shape at 70ish QL. 

• Like 1

Or allow us to "recycle" them. I could use some beehives.

• Like 1

Implement Examine can change owner - as with items that have forgotten their owner for reasons of mechanics I myself do not fully understand but I believe may be related to decay - without adding decay ticks to the owned item.

For example: Decay the lock, rather than the item, for player-owned items that have not been used in a while. 1ql/default locks would take highest decay tick.

9 hours ago, LionIX said:

Please accelerate decay on off-deed beehives if they haven't been opened in 3 months. There's a region on Release which is spammed with them and the owner hasn't been around in years. They're still in really good shape at 70ish QL. 

only if the person does not play on the server*

* or haven't logged in 3-6months..?

...else we get into some high maintenance etc

I have a few in my local.. I do not use them... but for the most part they are self-maintaining. Bees generate honey, use it as food to survive through the winter and whole things keeps going on and on... these decay, but slow.. for cedar - GREAT, IMO

There's no use for honey currently.. or the wax.. or it's very minimal, honey use could explode at some point and I plan to use it if such case emerges. Meanwhile normal hives decay as crazy, cedar lasts longer - which is normal, hives in general maybe seem to last longer - also great imo. 

What we need is option to disable wild bee and crafted bee hive spams in event log and center of the screen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drayka said:

Implement Examine can change owner - as with items that have forgotten their owner for reasons of mechanics I myself do not fully understand but I believe may be related to decay - without adding decay ticks to the owned item.

For example: Decay the lock, rather than the item, for player-owned items that have not been used in a while. 1ql/default locks would take highest decay tick.

nonsense for pve, these are pvp shenanigans

examine to claim ownership is dumb at times

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

nonsense for pve, these are pvp shenanigans

examine to claim ownership is dumb at times

You prefer items to simply cease to exist through decay?

PvP shenanigans is lockpicking EVERYTHING you see offdeed, whether you want it or not, just to look inside. It's a skill I still haven't bothered to level.

And yeah, simply picking up a small magical chest on someone else's deed and examining it, and thus becoming the owner of it, is REALLY dumb.

11 hours ago, LionIX said:

Are you 100% certain that someone isn't repairing these for skillgain on a regular basis?

1 hour ago, Drayka said:

You prefer items to simply cease to exist through decay?

PvP shenanigans is lockpicking EVERYTHING you see offdeed, whether you want it or not, just to look inside. It's a skill I still haven't bothered to level.

And yeah, simply picking up a small magical chest on someone else's deed and examining it, and thus becoming the owner of it, is REALLY dumb.

Are you 100% certain that someone isn't repairing these for skillgain on a regular basis?

not your things, don't worry about it

let them... it's terrible skillgain for most players probably.. it's no skillgain for me at least..

i enjoy finding random beehives with 100kg of honey inside

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess do a login check instead of actually opening, maybe 6 months to be more fair (but have quick decay then). You can’t get free honey out of locked ones. 

4 hours ago, perji said:

this :D

8 hours ago, Finnn said:

not your things, don't worry about it

It's truly not things that interest me in this game. It's certainly not things that I worry about.

If everything I had created/sandboxed/grinded/paid-for was perma-deleted tomorrow, it wouldn't make the slightest impact on whether or not I want-to/can continue to play Wurm.

The game-generated records I personally value, are not stored merely in the server database, but also client-side.

-1 I have several off-deed hives that I use occasionally for honey or wax. I check them once in a while for decay but often do not open them for several months as the need for their contents is not in high demand. I can't say I'm fond of a faster decay rate for that reason but I do get the annoyance of hives that truly have been abandoned. My hives are located in a fairly remote area in the midst my off-deed orchard. What's to stop someone from claiming that they are abandoned and must be destroyed? It seems to me that the bigger issue here is how to determine if something has truly been abandoned.

• Like 3

How about adding a line to examine, that tells you when the owner last logged in? Not precisely - within the last fortnight, within the last month, within the last 3/6/9/12 months.

9 hours ago, perji said:

While random honey is great. I have seen big areas of locked beehives which can be quite a nuisance. 

so +1 to figuring out something to do with locked hives that are rotting away. 

15 hours ago, Drayka said:

I would be 99.3% certain.  The reward just wouldn't be worth the effort, would it?

For repair skillgain - just keep all of your starter ql tools and weapons and repair the bejeebers out them.

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I would be 99.3% certain.  The reward just wouldn't be worth the effort, would it?

For repair skillgain - just keep all of your starter ql tools and weapons and repair the bejeebers out them.

Depends on your definition of reward. There is plenty of reward in not cutting down a certain tree, or culling a certain foal, regardless of what would be logically justifiable.

Besides, have you never just repaired something, JUST because it was there, and you felt like doing it? :) It's a sandbox. Not everything has to be justified by min-maxing. Sometimes it's worth the time, just to stand still and watch the Solset.

4 hours ago, Drayka said:

Besides, have you never just repaired something, JUST because it was there, and you felt like doing it?

Yeah, okay, I have done this, but not on anything abandoned AND stuck to the landscape.

BUT - the premise was doing it for skillgain, not just for the halibut.  For the skillgain, I still say "Nah."  😉

(I.e. the definition of reward was yours and  = "skillgain").

Edited by TheTrickster

7 hours ago, brattygirl said:

so +1 to figuring out something to do with locked hives that are rotting away. 

WpwHLYk.png

19 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yeah, okay, I have done this, but not on anything abandoned AND stuck to the landscape.

19 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

(I.e. the definition of reward was yours and  = "skillgain").

So, on Freedom, if something isn't yours, it belongs to an indie PvE-enemy? ... That WOULD be consistent with the culture I have observed on PvE over the years.

I've found the majority of PvPers to be ironically more inwardly-peaceful in lawlessness, than the majority of PvEers in lawfulness.

Counter-intuitively, the more lawful someone is, the more enemies they seem to perceive.

Those PvPers who try to impose law, even temporarily, become viewed as toxic. So it makes no sense why players quit TO PvE, to 'escape toxicity', to me.

5 hours ago, Drayka said:

So, on Freedom, if something isn't yours, it belongs to an indie PvE-enemy? ... That WOULD be consistent with the culture I have observed on PvE over the years.

I've found the majority of PvPers to be ironically more inwardly-peaceful in lawlessness, than the majority of PvEers in lawfulness.

Counter-intuitively, the more lawful someone is, the more enemies they seem to perceive.

Those PvPers who try to impose law, even temporarily, become viewed as toxic. So it makes no sense why players quit TO PvE, to 'escape toxicity', to me.

I don't understand how you got to what you said from what I said.  Sorry, I just can't see the link.  I said I do sometimes imp offdeed stuff just for the sake of doing it, but that skillgain is not the reason for it.  I just can't get from there to this quoted text.

I have zero enemies in Wurm (unless I am unwittingly someone's arch-nemesis, but I doubt it).  I don't even see the aggro wildlife as "enemy", merely possibly dangerous.  There IS a problem of clutter on the PvE islands, for those who don't like clutter (and if you don't, then please don't look in or around my house).

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

I find Xan to be quite peaceful and most PVE peeps to be quite friendly and helpful. I have yet to run into any toxicity on any of the PVE servers.

• Like 1

GG, I'm probably going a little crazy at this point from being required to do something I am incapable of, or leave Wurm.

• Like 1

Beehives, I see them everywhere.. like floor looms and fireplaces only they spam you with bee noises.

In regards to this suggestion, perhaps the bees themselves could expire if not tended to after a while and once empty an empty beehive could decay at a greater rate