Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Functional wardrobe

I would have expected a wardrobe to offer some extra protection for stored clothes, especially since it's a relatively high end item to make and can only hold specific item types. It's fun to keep a variety of clothing items to rotate between, and have some outfits to use for special occasions etc. but tedious when the clothes need regular maintenance despite sitting in a specialized storage container within a house on a deed.

It would also be great to have a way to organize items in the wardrobe, eg. to keep together items belonging to favourite outfits for eg. impalongs, Halloween, Christmas, etc. In this sense a large chest is actually more useful than the wardrobe right now, since it can hold backpacks to sort items with, but the wardrobe doesn't allow this.

So here are my suggestions to make wardrobes more useful:

• The wardrobe should reduce decay on the items inside when indoors on deed, offering better protection at higher quality.
  • Add a way to sort items inside a wardrobe, either by adding shelves or the ability to make groups (like in the inventory).
  • Like 12

It's true. We have wardrobes, chests, various kinds of racks for armors, saddles and weapons, coffers and cupboards, but since they don't prevent decay they're all just useless decoration. The best storage is either a chest that costs money and still decays itself or a free alt.

The only useful storage in the game are the bulk bins.

Containers do slow decay, you're asking for extra slow decay

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Correct. I'm suggesting that it becomes a more special container like the larder (minus snowballs). You can store food in a barrel for a little longer than on the floor, but it'll last a lot longer if you keep it in a larder. Wardrobes should be like this for clothes.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

… and also some method of sorting the stuff, like groups in the inventory, or something (which I would also very much like!)

• Like 1

I agree with OP, and love the idea of having shelves or compartments similar to the storage unit, etc.

5 hours ago, Vorticella said:

Correct. I'm suggesting that it becomes a more special container like the larder (minus snowballs). You can store food in a barrel for a little longer than on the floor, but it'll last a lot longer if you keep it in a larder. Wardrobes should be like this for clothes.

Plus mothballs?

• Like 1

Larder-like drawer in wardrobe for cedarwood balls (creation-ql-only, high-decay, item)

(Plus carved skittles (toymaking), so that non-cedarwood balls have a function in-game)

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Vorticella said:

And like a larder has a shelf for snowballs to chill everything down, including damage, the wardrobe should have a shelf/draw/box (let's face it, a slot) for some kind of herbs to further reduce decay.

Maybe a small cloth bag (made like a satchel but small like the small bag).  Make up a potpourri with some lavender flowers, belladona, rosemary, ginger - the aromatics - crushed in a mortar and pestle.  Making these could be a bit like making healing covers.

Edit: Oh.  I should read the replies below before replying myself.  Yes, something similar to what Drayka said.

EDIT EDIT:  Or if you want to get complicated, put the ingredients together with some water, boil it and then put a bit of wood scrap in it.  The wood scrap would become an aromatic block (of whatever name/title) which could be placed in the wardrobe.  Or make up a herbal "tea" that functions like dye/paint but instead of conferring colour would act as a preservative on the item.  Or soak some leather in it to create a protective wrap a bit like waxed paper but for wrapping non-food items.   Or combine a certain sized piece of leather with some hot oil and/or wax and create an oilskin for the wrapping of things.  or, or, or.   Sorry, my brain seems to have had a chain reaction and gone into meltdown.  Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

+1 but maybe certain containers for the various armor types. Wardrobes sound good for cloth and leather, but I suggest another container or rack for chain and plate armors.

+1 A wardrobe, In particular a cedar one, should indeed protect cloth items from decay.

+1

In general, wurm's high end furniture needs an overhaul to make it somewhat more useful/desirable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1

In general, wurm's high end furniture needs an overhaul to make it somewhat more useful/desirable.

Yep, more functionality than just props

On 7/25/2021 at 9:52 PM, Drayka said:

Larder-like drawer in wardrobe for cedarwood balls (creation-ql-only, high-decay, item)

I like this idea only if those were applied like a bonus that would stop decay completely, but would not be necessary for the wardrobe to function. So on its own the wardrobe can protect the clothes much longer than another container type, but with these special items decay would stop altogether until those items themselves decay away, and then the wardrobe would go back to its normal level of decay reduction (which is better than other containers). The idea is to store extra clothes for long periods without having to think about them, so if the wardrobe has to be "fed" regularly in order to function it probably won't be used much more than it is now.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 AM, Etherdrifter said:

+1

Yes, I agree with this point and the main idea. I also thought of the mothballs or maybe cedar chips. It would be nice to put things in some of the other indoor decorative items and those that can hold items aught to offer some degree of decay reduction.

Maybe not make it too fancy, just have slower decay on clothes based on QL of wardrobe.

I noticed that there is not much incentive for high ql furniture unless I am missing something.

+1 again, I see a lot of venerable players here with many combined years of wurm lore experience yet this hasn't happened.  I can't help but wonder, why?