Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Fix animal and vehicle turning rates

At present, when you're driving a cart or riding a horse, the turning rate slows noticeably after you've turned 90º

This is backwards pointless.

I propose that the system be revised as follows:

Turn slower than usual until you've turned through 10º

Then turn at the normal rate. Do not slow down after 90º

This should make it easier for cart and wagon drivers to align their vehicle with a road, and should also get rid of the annoying feature where, if you want to turn quickly, you need to stop and start again.

Edited by Sheffie

The specific mechanics are diminishing returns based on how long you hold down the button.  It starts at 3 degree increments and reduces down to 1 degree increments (base don WU code and I'm confident it hasn't changed).

As far as align to a road goes, why can't you just hold down the auto walk key (mine is bound to x)?

It sound like you want it to be opposite to how it currently is. It would turn slow at first and then faster and faster the longer a button is held down.

Keep in mind that mounted animals use the same mechanics.

I personally am fine with how the currently auto alignment works. And the only thing better would be away to higher a npc driver to auto follow a highway route.

Auto walk just does the same thing as holding down `W`. Unless you've got another option tweaked that you haven't mentioned, that will not affect the direction that the vehicle travels.

My experience is that a cart or wagon or horse or person on a road will consistently drift to one side or the other, needing a correction every so often. If you turned more slowly at first, it would be easier to point yourself in exactly the right direction, and then no more adjustments would be needed. Do you not have that experience?

• Like 1

you've clearly not used the hold-down x feature. it automatically aligns your direction of travel to the 8 cardinal points on the compass: N,S,E,W,NE,NW,SE,SW. It snaps your direction of travel to the nearest of those directions and you hold that line until you press either A or D. This works for wagons, carts, horses, and boats (although the wind pushes you a bit off the line) it does not work when you walk

Edited by DaletheGood
Clarity
  • Like 1

Not used, did not know about, was ignorant of. It's okay to use plain language.

Proposal amended in the light of new information.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

you've clearly not used the hold-down x feature. it automatically aligns your direction of travel to the 8 cardinal points on the compass: N,S,E,W,NE,NW,SE,SW. It snaps your direction of travel to the nearest of those directions and you hold that line until you press either A or D. This works for wagons, carts, horses, and boats (although the wind pushes you a bit off the line) it does not work when you walk

Holy carp, I have never heard of this, and I have been involved in lengthy discussions suggesting exactly this.  I am (hopefully, was) always adjusting for drift.

9 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

This should be in the wiki. And the tutorial. I've been using it for months and I keep forgetting to tell newbies about it.

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 1