Sign in to follow this  
validate

today is the steam 1 yr anniversay? anything happening sales? events? server connection north to south? or na we got our money from steam

@Drayka

Or...

Propriety can be an aspect of emotional intelligence - "reading the room" as it is sometimes called - to appreciate how the person at the other end your words will receive them.  I am sufficiently self aware to know that I do not read my own perception into what others say as much as is "normal", until sufficiently provoked otherwise, I presume good faith and lack of malice in communication directed at me and tend to not look for additional shades of meaning.  If someone makes a joke from something I said, I find nothing offensive in that as long as it isn't a blatant potshot with malice behind it.  To me, puns and playing with language are always fair game, and I can see a humourous side to just about any situation (example, the ambulance officers who attended when I cut off my finger didn't seem to appreciate my jokes about it, or my honest advice not to look for the missing bit because the dog probably ate it).  BY default I consider jokes to be neutral and they have been a normal part of my life from the get go (in my family we don't even state the obvious quip out loud - we just assume it applies and chuckle together quietly).

The thing is, not everyone is like that, so the considerate and caring thing to do is avoid making jokes that are likely to be taken as having some level of malicious motive,  When I am fatigued or experiencing migraine (which is pretty much 24/7 for the last 18 months) I am not always clear about what that might be.  So I go ahead with the quip, but reassure about its good natured intent.

Propriety is a way to codify communication to eliminate these difference in perception by having rules about what can be assumed to be innocent commentary.  For most this is intuitive while for me it is necessarily a conscious effort and one I don't always manage.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ciggie said:

Guess they still need more time.

few years later...

• Like 2

Looking forward to get the Black Friday Sale, so i can buy a year membership!

• Like 1