Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

New ore distribution

Current system: We tend to see clusters of ore veins, perhaps 5-10 of them over a small area, each containing from 100-10000 ore. 

Problem: This is both unrealistic and a huge pain for people trying to make canal or highway tunnels. It also increases the cost of repairing collapsed tiles, especially in partially reinforced tunnels that are off deed.

Solution: Have a larger number of ore veins each containing less ore. For example, ten times as many veins, either in a blob or strung out in a line 1-2 tiles wide, each containing no more than 1000 ore, so that the total amount of mineral would be the same. In the most extreme incarnation of this idea, you would discover hundreds of veins, each of which would mined out just as easily as a rock tile.

Discussion:

• Obviously this could not be applied retroactively to existing servers. However, any tiles that collapse could certainly use the new algorithm to determine their type and quantity.
  • This should provide a more realistic, consistent and satisfying mining experience. Having found an area that's rich in iron, for example, miners will end up following the deposit wherever it leads them, rather than having a "one and done" mentality.
  • Anyone driving a tunnel through a mountain will not be greatly inconvenienced by hitting a vein or two.
  • If a tile collapses in your mine or off-deed tunnel, you won't have to go to a lot of trouble or expense to clear the rockfall.
  • The greater number of tiles, each with a randomly determined quality level, would mean that the overall quality of the mineral would not vary so wildly.
  • A Rod of Transmutation could behave exactly as before, since it is magical in nature. Alternatively, it could affect a number of tiles in the immediate vicinity of the user, while still producing 10000 of the desired mineral.

• Like 1

As a player who doesn't like mining much, I think that's an interesting idea.

I was thinking about something that fits here pretty well, how to make tunneling more attractive and easier for new players, because what if a new player makes a mistake and drills the tunnel in the wrong place?

If the stone tile next to the metal vein would contain 40 ore (but lower ql than vein) and 10 stone shards it should improve mining a bit.

Stone tile located 2 fields from vein - 30 ore, 20 stones
3 tiles from vein - 20 ore, 30 stones

4 tiles - 10 ore, 40 stones

5 tiles - 5 ore, 45 stones

I know that there is prospecting-> analyze to check exact location of veins, but something like this would give a minimal reward, because we are already few steps away from the vein and it did not indicate the exact location where the vein is. And new players would have no problem finding a few kg of iron for the first anvil and nails.

Edited by Darnok

-1 for the following reasons:

• For everyone needing larger amounts of resources, such scattering would be a nightmare. Usually you place your smelter, then start to mine, putting the lumps into backpacks to sort ql later.                          
  • This would be impossible. Even worse when one starts to grind mining skill on higher difficulty resources like silver, gold, and sandstone. For that, large amounts are a prerequisite.                                            
  • For tunnel builders, resource veins removal is natural, and if the amount of resources remains the same in a region, it would not help, even make it harder to create an exploration tunnel in the general direction of the project.                
  • Moreover, large and useless resource veins may be nuked to lava with erupt/freeze. That would be close to impossible with 5 to 10 times more veins.

@Darnok: You appear like a non player who does not like Wurm much.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Darnok said:

And new players would have no problem finding a few kg of iron for the first anvil and nails.

Rummage.

14 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Current system: We tend to see clusters of ore veins, perhaps 5-10 of them over a small area, each containing from 100-10000 ore. 

Problem: This is both unrealistic and a huge pain for people trying to make canal or highway tunnels. It also increases the cost of repairing collapsed tiles, especially in partially reinforced tunnels that are off deed.

• Unrealistic - In Wurm, ore deposits are reasonably simulated as vertical, to compensate for the inability to mine in 3D voxels.
  • If the end-goal is to make the creation of canal or highway tunnels less painful, I personally would suggest that you focus on petitioning for the addition of mechanics that would facilitate this specifically - such as a new type of deed/writ that would make ore veins act like rock veins (50 actions to mine it out) - as opposed to collaterally affecting the entire sandbox.
  • Like 1