Sign in to follow this  
PoolsClosed

Premium players only editing wiki

Should only premium players be allowed to edit the Wiki?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should only premium players be allowed to edit the Wiki?

• Yes
    • No

I've noticed a large proportion of edits to the wiki have been made by users who do not currently have a paid premium account. This is troubling to me because many people rely on the wiki for information and this calls into question the validity of stuff being added to the wiki.

Specifically things like "enemy" redirecting to a page on animals and things of that nature I object to. Despite my objections, it is more effort than it is worth to revert such edits. It is an uphill battle because as I waste my premium time, someone else is editing with no cares in the world.

That's why I'm interested in what you think. Should only premium players be allowed to edit the wiki or should we invite all of our friends on GV to edit the wiki as they see fit from their narrow and perhaps incomplete view of Wurm Online?

A number of players in Gv are quite helpful, and a number of premium players aren't helpful in the wiki at all.

I don't think this would work well.

I didn't know it was that easy to get Wiki approval or I'd have joined your efforts earlier. While I did play in BETA (what I'm not told is actually ALPHA since this is still BETA), I've not played in a long time and I would be limited for adding new content. I would, however, join the team for proofreading and grammatical editing.

Let me know if I can be of service. Who do I contact? Eir perhaps?

I didn't know it was that easy to get Wiki approval or I'd have joined your efforts earlier. While I did play in BETA (what I'm not told is actually ALPHA since this is still BETA), I've not played in a long time and I would be limited for adding new content. I would, however, join the team for proofreading and grammatical editing.

Getting a Wiki account is very easy. All you have to do is PM Eir here on the forums and he will set one up for you. Then he will send you a PM here on the forums with the info about it. (It took me less then 5 mins to have him contact me back with the info.)

Getting a Wiki account is very easy. All you have to do is PM Eir here on the forums and he will set one up for you. Then he will send you a PM here on the forums with the info about it. (It took me less then 5 mins to have him contact me back with the info.)

Thank you Magen :)

I found similar information moments ago and have sent my qualifications to Eir. Thanks for your help!

Anyone should be able to edit, but anything someone puts in there should be well researched. I've edited a few things, but I have triple checked them each time, and it's never anything that would be different in Premium.

I will have to think about long and hard on the question you have put before us and what is proposed as your solution. I have a different problem with how easy it is for People to get a Wiki Account and run amuck Deleting towns from the village lists, putting towns on lists they don't belong on, etc., but not for the purpose of making the Wiki or Wurmipedia an up to date and accurate source of information for those who play WurmOnline or for those who just like to browse various Wikipedias randomly, but for the purpose of being nasty, hateful and vindictive towards other people, towns and kingdoms, which is the heart of the matter I think your trying to remedy by limiting editing access to only premium player. You see for me the problem would be some of those premium players.

I think we need to start at the top with Egal. Either revamp the way the system is set up to give editing access to players (say so many days and hours of actual ingame playtime) get some additional help for the wiki team or (with no disrespect intended and not trying to be insulting) replace Egal with some more competent or more able to devote more time to that part of Egal's Dev duties. I have sent in several requests to get my wiki password sent to me as per the Official Wurm procedure as posted and have never recieved a reply and finally had to have Eir make me another account under one of my other characters names. I also had a problem with getting my Vynora Preists password Reset and didn't recieve a reply from Egal for almost 3 weeks and contacting 2 Different GM's and Oracle. And still the problem wasn't resolved by Egal. I had to go another route.

I am not trying to say Egal is lax in his Dev duties or doesn't care, what I am saying is that maybe Egal doesn't have enough hours in a day to give the proper amount of attention that is needed for the running of the wiki and its administration.

All you have to do is PM Eir here on the forums and he will set one up for you.

Maybe not if you keep refering to her as "he"

I am not trying to say Egal is lax in his <.< Dev duties or doesn't care, what I am saying is that maybe Egal doesn't have enough hours in a day to give the proper amount of attention that is needed for the running of the wiki and its administration.

Ahem! E "gal" is hard to get ahold of? Never! She always replies at least by the third email or the fourth week... which ever comes first.

Come to think of it, the op is kind of elitist if I might say. It is a Wiki after all. You know, something that is supposed to be freely editable and if bad info gets in somehow that's the beauty of being able to revert to a previous edit or challenge / refute the content. For an example on the elitist slant: Consider Harvard University. One day a Harvard Professor edited their wiki entry and made mention that the university's neighborhood was a wonderful place to live (albeit, he lived 20 miles away and had no clue if it was a 'wonderful' place to live). The next day someone who actually did live in the neighborhood, but who did not work at the university or attend it as a student nor were they associated with it in any way at all, edited the wiki entry to re-state that the neighborhood was in fact NOT a wonderful place to live. Two points of view, one from inside of the university that hosted the wiki and who the article was started about and another who was drawn in by means of the evolving context of it's content. Who is right and who is wrong? Should someone who actually lives there be allowed the right to edit or not?

Meh, who really cares? It's a f'n wiki :P

Egal's a great person who gives us sleep bonuses

what's up with the bashing

I think we need to start at the top with Egal. Either revamp the way the system is set up to give editing access to players (say so many days and hours of actual ingame playtime) get some additional help for the wiki team or (with no disrespect intended and not trying to be insulting) replace Egal with some more competent or more able to devote more time to that part of Egal's Dev duties. I have sent in several requests to get my wiki password sent to me as per the Official Wurm procedure as posted and have never recieved a reply and finally had to have Eir make me another account under one of my other characters names. I also had a problem with getting my Vynora Preists password Reset and didn't recieve a reply from Egal for almost 3 weeks and contacting 2 Different GM's and Oracle. And still the problem wasn't resolved by Egal. I had to go another route.

I am not trying to say Egal is lax in his Dev duties or doesn't care, what I am saying is that maybe Egal doesn't have enough hours in a day to give the proper amount of attention that is needed for the running of the wiki and its administration.

No bashing here Mussafa. Egal knows how to laugh, I'm sure, even at herself. If she didn't she wouldn't have hung around her after all this time. Tis all in fun laddy, relax.

Totally off topic, but does anyone else find it incredibly funny that Fleischman's post was immediately responded to by someone who could be called Maggie? ;)

Anyways, I voted no. I remember as a newbie I learned quite abit about wurm just by asking questions which weren't in the wiki, and then adding my newfound knowledge to the wiki so other newbies would be able to find it as well.

Most of the players on the forum seem to be premium anyways, so this vote isn't very accurate.

Totally off topic, but does anyone else find it incredibly funny that Fleischman's post was immediately responded to by someone who could be called Maggie? ;)

I did not know this, but that is quite humorous. Northern Exposure was my favorite show as an adolescent and I very much appreciated Joel's character. I believe it was Maggie's rustic, feminist beauty that caused me to be attracted to similar strong willed women later in life.... but enough about my two decade old crush on Janine Turner :D

... OK maybe just a little more

JanineTurner_Granitz_4573856.jpg

... alright, sorry for the derail :P

Why isn't this in the suggestions bit?

Anyways we should let people on Gv edit the wiki, and secondly how will we know if they are premium or not?

Many pardons if I gave Egal the wrong sex as I was told that Egal was variation of Eagle and as far as the avatar I won't say a word...

I would say the wiki need a choosen team .Lets say from players that play for 1+ year and not editable for everyone.

To much there is written and edited by people that maybe play for 4 month and then quit.Come back later with a huge inactivity afterwards and start to edit pages .

Of course wurm have changed by the time so his/her wurmknowledge is outdated.

It also contains to much rumours and half known facts and guesses, "third hand" informations (you heard from a friend that have a wurm friend that is good at smihting that said that birch burn longer in forges.To give an exemple).

I would say the wiki need a choosen team .Lets say from players that play for 1+ year and not editable for everyone.

To much there is written and edited by people that maybe play for 4 month and then quit.Come back later with a huge inactivity afterwards and start to edit pages .

Of course wurm have changed by the time so his/her wurmknowledge is outdated.

It also contains to much rumours and half known facts and guesses, "third hand" informations (you heard from a friend that have a wurm friend that is good at smihting that said that birch burn longer in forges.To give an exemple).

It's not always input that is needed on the wiki. For instance, I try to help with grammatical and spelling errors. Another important job is formatting and consistency. Neither of these require a person to have any knowledge of the game at all.

I believe if a person is constantly adding inaccurate data, that person should be reprimanded. This is a reactive approach. A proactive approach, as you suggest, would be daunting for the moderation team which is already working for almost nothing.

I agree with this for one simple reason /4chan/b/

I think most players are basically mature, considerate people and would not 'vandalise' the wiki.

But some people clearly are neither mature nor considerate and definitely are inherently destructive.

Much, much more to the point - you are less likely to damage what you have a vested interest in.

For those from /b/ that do respect the Wurmian community and who do respect people in general. My apologies, no personal slur was intended.

Note that I have met some decent people from /4chan/ in the last year and revised my opinion from outright negative to as good as anyone else proves themselves to be.

There's an easy solution to this: warning, warning, ban. If a person vandalizes a page, they get a warning. If they screw up town/village/settlement/deed lists on purpose, they get a warning. If they harrass someone, they're banned from the wiki. Any variation of these violations will result in a warning, warning, ban. Simple. Next...

It's not always input that is needed on the wiki. For instance, I try to help with grammatical and spelling errors. Another important job is formatting and consistency. Neither of these require a person to have any knowledge of the game at all.

daunting for the moderation team which is already working for almost nothing.

There's an easy solution to this: warning, warning, ban.

I completely agree with this.

For example i added info about the new player wrapped gifts to the "item:gift" page in the wiki, and both grammar and spelling was cleaned up and trimed at the edges by Eep i think it was. I have played quite a while but took a 4 month break and came back 2 month ago, so according to some of you i should not have had the right to edit the wiki, but i did with correct info and got helped with the details.

In my opinion a perfect example on how a wiki should work.

The danger is off course that it is very easy to mess up a wiki, but thanks to the history page most damage can be fixed.

I think both the wiki and WURM itself would suffer more if there was a small team that could edit the pages.