Sign in to follow this  
Spolmit

Made it to ten years- thank you Wurm!

Well, it was 10 years ago today that I took the ‘risk’ of loading all that was needed to play Wurm after reading about it.

I will not mention all those who helped me in the very early days- they will know who they are- but after a decade playing and enjoying Wurm I feel that I have a reasonable excuse to make a few comments about my perception of Wurm.

1. I play for pure enjoyment and have never really bothered with improving certain skills over others. I suppose I would be called a jill / jack-of-all-trades but definitely a master of none! I feel that it is this that has allowed me to continue to play almost every single day without needing a break from ‘the grind’. I love playing after a long day at work, when the weather is not great or simply as a form of relaxation and attempt to catch up on the latest gossip in the forum. I often smile at the humour that is so prevalent in chat.

2. I know that some more vocal players criticise the way that development on Wurm has evolved or is evolving- and I fully respect that right, however, I simply wish to thank every single person- developer or otherwise- past and present who has contributed in some way towards the amazing improvements that I have been witness to during this decade. I feel that what we have here is a game that is simply unique.

3. The community in Wurm is usually second-to-none. Every person I have met in-game has been helpful, amusing or kind. Perhaps I have been fortunate but I feel that Wurm is blessed with people of all ages who usually have a mature attitude to difficulties and problems. This is something that we should all be proud of.

4. Is Wurm without faults / problems, of course not but for most of the time these do not affect my enjoyment and so I shall give my trust to the development team to work on any issues and leave me to improving my standard of Wurm life.

The future? I have never got involved in the religion aspect and that is something that I may be missing out on. The other thing is- to my shame- I have never been to an impalong as I always feel that my skills are not high enough. I must push myself to attend one!

I am sure that the developers will also have some ideas that most folks cannot even imagine. One thing is certain and that is I hope to be playing Wurm as often as I can during the next decade and hopefully for longer.

Thank you all.

Spolmit / Malenkimit / Kalmit

• Like 23

Come to the friend-a-long currently going on on Pristine!

Worry not about your skills, just have some fun and visit!

Truth be told, my skills on Freedom are horrendous, I rarely play there lol...I have like 40 carpentry, 70 fighting and 50 huge axe...that's it!

Oh but I am also a Mag priest with 100 faith but 20 channeling lol

• Like 1

Congratulations and very well said! I play the same way and agree with your overall attitude to the game entirely. Yes as Scooter said there is still time to come along to  visit the Friendalong on Pristine, have some fun, imp some stuff only as high as you can if you feel like it but don't worry if you don't. These events are about a lot more than just that :) 

• Like 1

As the full saying goes: “Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.”

Well done on sticking to it. It seems that you created the forums account on the same day too so you have a timestamp to go by and celebrate the anniversaries..

I only created the forums account years after my first time playing Wurm because i needed it for reasons. Otherwise i would still be one of the forum lurkers no one ever hears from.

I have logs dating back to 2009 but at least one HDD fried before that -_-

All the best in the next 10 years of Wurming!

• Like 1

Now thats some wurm time you have put in Spolmit. Congrats and here's to another 10.A loud quack chorus from the ducks too.🦆

• Like 1

Well done Spolmit! And yes, I think that the 'skills be damned, just play the game' approach is much more conducive to long-term enjoyment of the game, rather than the min-max, meta-gaming grind that I see so often. Keep it up!

• Like 2

One of us...one of us...

Congrats, and great to hear you're having fun :)

• Like 1

Hey Spolmit. Congrats!

I will soon join you in the 10 year anniversary myself. And I agree with everything you said about Wurm.

And yes, you absolutely must go to an Impalong. I missed the one currently in progress, as my schedule changed at the last minute, but I hope to see you at the Christmas one!

Keep on Wurmin'.

• Like 1