Darnok

Sandstorms, sandwurms and stronger turtles

Recommended Posts

Deserts are great hunting biomes because they provide good visibility, but for the same reason they seem easy biomes, but deserts shouldn't be easy?


Sandstorms

During late spring, summer and early autumn near center of desert biomes randomly sandstorm could form and expand very quickly to 3/4 size of desert biome, it lasts from morning to dusk of Wurm day, of course not every day.

The closer to the center of the sandstorm, the more it would reduce visibility and movement speed 10-30% (30% reduction at the center) of player and any other creature or vehicle.

Sandstorm could move, but in such a way that its center does not cross the border of the desert biome. Each tile of grass, steppe, and dirt that is inside the storm is changed to sand tile. Each young and shriveled tree and bush is damaged and destroyed, but the tile under it does not change, until next sandstorm 🙂 
Crops in tiles that were within the range of the storm receive -2 to the harvest size.


Sandwurm

While storm is moving in the center of it every few minutes spawns a Sandwurm, Mob resembling a giant sand-colored earthworm with tentacles.

 

graboid_1990_01.jpg

 

Aggressive, FS 50 during storm and only male attacks, 40 after the storm is over, but attacks with tentacles from a distance of 3-4 tiles.

Special property - it will not be highlighted under mouse cursor, if the player is more than 4 tiles away from it (crocodiles and mountain lions could "hide" like that too).

Drops - insect meat, insect eggs (size of a human head), pieces of chitinous armor from which shield or shoulder pads can be made.

If changing biome during a storm is a bad idea... Sandwurm may lays egg every 2-3 hours, eggs are masked in sand and player can only see them if he stands on a tile next to the one on which they were laid.

Small worms (5 FS) hatch from the eggs and search for grass, steppe, dirt, bushes or small trees. They eat plants within a dozen or so minutes, and they will turn empty tiles into sand and move further.

 

Turtles

After aged stage they can spawn 2-3 small turtles that will move along with the adults (in random formation, so for server CPU usage it shouldn't be problem, during movement it would count as 1 animal?).

Little turtle could be weak like 5-10 FS. After defeating the whole group, only the body of a large turtle is visible and there is a chance to drop a tiny shell from which shoulder pads can be made.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very Diablo II Act II (c)

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Very Diablo II Act II (c)

 

Stomp the maggots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why have Sandwurms when you can have a Sarlacc????

 

Spoiler

YEUmO1Y.jpg

#WurmNeedsASarlacc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brattygirl said:

Why have Sandwurms when you can have a Sarlacc????

 

  Reveal hidden contents

YEUmO1Y.jpg

#WurmNeedsASarlacc

 

Is that like a desert version of a Kraken?

Spoiler

UC4rTSx.jpg

 

coz technically, Wurm kinda already covered this sorta beastie:

Spoiler

7KR0YA6.jpg

 

Edited by Drayka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, no. -1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have fogs.. and they are pretty bad for visibility or used to be, it's reported that they do not work as they used to..

no need for sandstorms - "biomes" are fine as they are

 

We have sandwurms(uttacha spawns).. they are just valrei creatures, not local, lore locked, and already content.. if they descend for events etc.. on pve.. idk wouldn't mind.. if they aren't somewhat crazy like the poisonous deathcrawlers.. these shred you, your gear and your mount's hp.. even used to trash gear that is not supposed to take damage and can not be repaired.. pretty crazy creatures... 

200px-Spawn_of_Uttacha.jpg   200px-Deathcrawler_minion.jpg

 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Valrei_creatures

 

overall no to w/e you suggest for the well known issues with your 'ideas', lack of any planning to fight new high threat unavoidable enemies and mechanics, and just molesting new mechanics to drive players into rage quit, while same threat can happen anywhere, any time and returns from dealing with it is nowhere to be found; complete nonsense every time

 

go play dark souls / nioh / bloodborne / sekiro.. all games have their own theme that is close to what you seem to daydream and spam us about

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Finnn said:

We have fogs.. and they are pretty bad for visibility or used to be, it's reported that they do not work as they used to..

no need for sandstorms - "biomes" are fine as they are

 

We have sandwurms(uttacha spawns).. they are just valrei creatures, not local, lore locked, and already content.. if they descend for events etc.. on pve.. idk wouldn't mind.. if they aren't somewhat crazy like the poisonous deathcrawlers.. these shred you, your gear and your mount's hp.. even used to trash gear that is not supposed to take damage and can not be repaired.. pretty crazy creatures... 

200px-Spawn_of_Uttacha.jpg   200px-Deathcrawler_minion.jpg

 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Valrei_creatures

 

overall no to w/e you suggest for the well known issues with your 'ideas', lack of any planning to fight new high threat unavoidable enemies and mechanics, and just molesting new mechanics to drive players into rage quit, while same threat can happen anywhere, any time and returns from dealing with it is nowhere to be found; complete nonsense every time

 

go play dark souls / nioh / bloodborne / sekiro.. all games have their own theme that is close to what you seem to daydream and spam us about

 

I know there are different Varei NPCs, but like you said for the casual player they are out of reach.

As for the desert and avoiding the threat, in my opinion the desert should be quite a difficult biome and you can avoid the sandstorm just by not going too far from the border of desert.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, in the desert it isn't the biome that makes survival difficult much as the lack of one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

The thing is, in the desert it isn't the biome that makes survival difficult much as the lack of one.

 

That's true, but in Wurm it would be difficult to simulate something like this, the character would have to be able to die of thirst and hunger and you would need a huge area for a desert of size about 25 map squares (or larger) maybe would create some kind of threat due to the lack of anything.

If such an area was in the center of the map and in order to travel between W-E and N-S you would have to pass through this area, it might make sense, but an empty desert, for example in the corner of the map, would be an area that players normally avoid.

If there was a temperature gauge in the game, and if you put on metal armor and travel through the deserts, you overheat and need more water,  your movement speed and combat skills are lowered by some percentage. Then yes, the desert as lack of biome would be more difficult.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wurm is difficult abso####inglutely anywhere any time.. you can't afk in the wild.. and expect to not find a dead champion next to you or yourself killed by running around hound that you've randomly targeted somehow..(aggroing on you, another taunt and runs away with it..) after that any creature can kill you as you still target your previous selection..  or other more rare situations leading to a rip..  kill trains aren't something new.. and gear and fighting is completely RNG.. there's nothing that assures you 100% win vs a creature every time

 

this is not just an mmo.. it's a sandbox.. if you have a deed by a desert - you deal with 'just' that kind of enemies all day when you go outside, starting towns are next to deserts on some servers.. biomes can not have this kind of bull####

 

a new kind of world boss could be introduced. .but given the feedback with uniques.. that's better off to be as some kind of event for more people; 1 or few people challenge - BAMs, and they have to be quite to extremely rare spawns, maps arent that big to not just wipe new or average players on regular basis otherwise, the game is hard as it is for most players;

 

new server or w/e of the kind content is in the works.. it's in the roadmap for the interested(no need to read, no specifics mentioned) but there you can expect new land/creatures and difficulty, home servers are chill

 

calm down with the trolling, harsh lands are coming, they are just on another piece of rock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darnok said:

 

That's true, but in Wurm it would be difficult to simulate something like this, the character would have to be able to die of thirst and hunger and you would need a huge area for a desert of size about 25 map squares (or larger) maybe would create some kind of threat due to the lack of anything.

If such an area was in the center of the map and in order to travel between W-E and N-S you would have to pass through this area, it might make sense, but an empty desert, for example in the corner of the map, would be an area that players normally avoid.

If there was a temperature gauge in the game, and if you put on metal armor and travel through the deserts, you overheat and need more water,  your movement speed and combat skills are lowered by some percentage. Then yes, the desert as lack of biome would be more difficult.

 

 

does it matter tho, you do not play the game, and you wont play the game, does it matter to make it annoying and to add extra micromanagement to hunger and thirst?

ui is bad.. for showing simple things.. you want day-z or w/e hydration and other medical status icons to have more problems to deal with?

 

equip cloth armor, kill 5 wolves with ql1 short sword with no enchants, find healing cover ingredients.. treat your wounds.. spend 2 hours restoring that 90% hp damage to full health - repeat

 

hard mode is in the game, play it if you want it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having memories of inadvertently spawning in Sloping Sands with nothing but my non-drops and fs in the low 20s.

15 minutes ago, Finnn said:

hard mode is in the game, play it if you want it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Finnn said:

wurm is difficult abso####inglutely anywhere any time.. you can't afk in the wild.. and expect to not find a dead champion next to you or yourself killed by running around hound that you've randomly targeted somehow..(aggroing on you, another taunt and runs away with it..) after that any creature can kill you as you still target your previous selection..  or other more rare situations leading to a rip..  kill trains aren't something new.. and gear and fighting is completely RNG.. there's nothing that assures you 100% win vs a creature every time

 

Grasslands are more dangerous than the deserts because anacondas and crocodiles can hide there, and in the desert you can see them for a kilometer ahead.

 

28 minutes ago, Finnn said:

this is not just an mmo.. it's a sandbox.. if you have a deed by a desert - you deal with 'just' that kind of enemies all day when you go outside, starting towns are next to deserts on some servers.. biomes can not have this kind of bull####

 

I would agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that teraforming exists 😉

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Finnn said:

does it matter tho, you do not play the game, and you wont play the game, does it matter to make it annoying and to add extra micromanagement to hunger and thirst?

ui is bad.. for showing simple things.. you want day-z or w/e hydration and other medical status icons to have more problems to deal with?

 

equip cloth armor, kill 5 wolves with ql1 short sword with no enchants, find healing cover ingredients.. treat your wounds.. spend 2 hours restoring that 90% hp damage to full health - repeat

 

hard mode is in the game, play it if you want it 

 

LT casts are for that. I do agree that without an LT weapon, healing wounds is hopelessly boring, which could be another reason Wurm scares new players away at first. And the fact that health and stamina are in same bar can also be a problem for a new player.

Also fact that some things takes long time does not mean they are hard, I'm just building well and it's like 5 minutes staring at the grass moving in the wind, is building a well difficult?

Wurm main problem is that it promotes long actions instead of short ones. A player who hardly ever uses the action queue should get more skill gain than the one who queues everything and switches between alts, but that is another topic.

Edited by Darnok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Darnok said:

A player who hardly ever uses the action queue should get more skill gain than the one who queues everything...

Yes, I think that is how it works.

 

EDIT:  I stand (sit) corrected.  🙂

Edited by TheTrickster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

 

Wurm main problem is that it promotes long actions instead of short ones. A player who hardly ever uses the action queue should get more skill gain than the one who queues everything and switches between alts, but that is another topic.

 

56 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Yes, I think that is how it works.

 

Nope.

CharOne and CharTwo new characters spawned in Sonata. Both using mining on same tile.

 

CharOne using 1 action only, wait until stamina regen and again 1 action... after 6 actions

 

mFj93vw.png

 

CharTwo is using 2 actions per queue, wait until stamina regen and again 2 action also 6 mining actions

 

N5HRnfT.png

 

Who won? 🙂

 

Edited by Darnok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darnok said:

 

LT casts are for that. I do agree that without an LT weapon, healing wounds is hopelessly boring, which could be another reason Wurm scares new players away at first. And the fact that health and stamina are in same bar can also be a problem for a new player.

Also fact that some things takes long time does not mean they are hard, I'm just building well and it's like 5 minutes staring at the grass moving in the wind, is building a well difficult?

Wurm main problem is that it promotes long actions instead of short ones. A player who hardly ever uses the action queue should get more skill gain than the one who queues everything and switches between alts, but that is another topic.

"because it makes sense to be boring and lazy and gain insane amount of fighting skill"

fighting is just 1 of many skills, there's already a mechanic how that works and you get to grind faster if you just learn and do it

don't worry about it.. learn to play the game, wait.. actually play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darnok said:

Nope.

CharOne and CharTwo new characters spawned in Sonata. Both using mining on same tile.

 

CharOne using 1 action only, wait until stamina regen and again 1 action... after 6 actions

CharTwo is using 2 actions per queue, wait until stamina regen and again 2 action also 6 mining actions

 

Who won? 🙂

 

Well, I have to say 6 actions is rather a incredibly microscopic data pool, but even if we ASSUME that your method is flawless in an RNG heavy game...

 

Your screenshot of the skills tab in the lower right hand corner would seem to suggest that the characters gain different skills faster than the other because of their difference in playstyles. Which strikes me as balanced.

 

IF however your intention was to prove that by having found 1 instance where a new-spawned character gained x more skill in x skill than an identical character, over 6 actions, and thus this will always be true of every action throughout Wurm, you failed miserably. That's like saying because you threw heads twice in a coin-toss, and stopped there, all coin-tosses throughout the universe are guaranteed to be heads 100% of the time, no matter what you or anyone else does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Darnok said:

 

 

 

Nope.

CharOne and CharTwo new characters spawned in Sonata. Both using mining on same tile.

 

CharOne using 1 action only, wait until stamina regen and again 1 action... after 6 actions

 

mFj93vw.png

 

CharTwo is using 2 actions per queue, wait until stamina regen and again 2 action also 6 mining actions

 

N5HRnfT.png

 

Who won? 🙂

 

char 2... it's rng and stamina based.. using more stamina.. and not using up 100% of it.. will give you better gains, but that isn't a 100% rule, you get skill with the 1-40 rule with it's exception..

if you count the actions .. not the time.. you'll get more skill on 2nd char

 

it's just how the game works...

there are small 'clever' tricks you can do to optimize actions in wurm here and there, most of it is well known or on the wiki/forums, for others there's still no guide written, but are pretty much explained for other skills already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

-1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No because people chose to live in deserts, and this would not make them happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

No because people chose to live in deserts, and this would not make them happy.

 

But that's a great reason to add sandstorms, because a desert isn't a place where happy people live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darnok said:

But that's a great reason to add sandstorms, because a desert isn't a place where happy people live.

 

My happiest times on PvE were whilst living on a hunting-deed on a mountainside in the middle of a huge desert. I never found that biome to be lacking. My mayor made lighthouses out of penned champ lava spiders. And our neighbour bred all sorts of monsters on her deed, well away from where anyone would consider it a potential threat to their gameplay. She was one of the happiest, most bubbly personalities I ever met. Always cheerful.

 

That said, I think both of them would have enjoyed having even more dangerous animals to play with. No idea how they would have felt about sandstorms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now