Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Stormfall: A New Nomadic Experience

I am a natural Wurm nomad, explorer and mountain climber.  Not great for skillgains, but well suited to this, I think.  

Stormfall looks great from altitude!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I am a natural Wurm nomad, explorer and mountain climber.  Not great for skillgains, but well suited to this, I think.  

Stormfall looks great from altitude!

Did you take any photos?

Love this idea so much! I'll take some pine sprouts please! Vorticella in game :)

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 3

Hi, just joined the server.  I guess I'll ask for grapes, please.

• Like 3

Update about trees and bushes we still need on the server:

Trees: Chestnut 
Bushes: Camellia, lavender, oleander and rose

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiama said:

Did you take any photos?

Nope!  😇

The view is the reward for the climb .  😉

Also, I drive a potato, which really wouldn't do it justice.  I am used to the settings, but others would likely find it underwhelming.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The view is the reward for the climb .  😉

Well that's fair enough.

• Like 1

Okay, here are some mountaintop views.  Roughly 360 degrees, but my PC's eyes aren't the best 🧐

This first one is almost due west.

iQN5ew0.jpg

MNVFTMc.jpg

z9chqth.jpg

More to follow

Edit:  You can almost see my camp in the the bottom picture.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

5xDi9OC.jpg

The one below is almost due east.  My camp is down there to the left, but you can't see it for the trees.

UrDkvkN.jpg

just a couple more

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

Great shots Lowkey!

I do wish the Wurm renderer could handle faraway trees.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 1

Thanks.  Actually, from these I can locate reasonably precisely the spawn point, my vantage point, and my camp (as well as a few other features) on the map.

There was some more elevation available but the east-west ridge is pretty wide so I could only see high ground, tree tops and water.  

Terrific, my to-do list just kicked in.  I am going to have to built a lookout tower.  🤔

EDiT:  While climbing up the mountain (in the complete wrong place, mind you because I was completely lost) I was about 2 steps from a high plateau and low on stamina when my Modem crashed and took me a while to get logged back in.  I was worried I would slip, fall and die as soon as I got back in - with no way to find my body.  It would have been very close to perma-death.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

I chose cedar sprouts, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked pine instead!

I would have chosen cedar, but figured it would be better to go for something not picked selected yet.  I have planted a short row of walnut on Stormfall. 

I like cedar for its function, but I like walnut for its look.

I plan to get a bit done before doing the grand tour.  My start in Wurm involved quite a bit of free-steading so I reckon I can get something useful in place while I build up my shipbuilding.  I travel light, but I like to come back to some comfort  😎

Edited by TheTrickster
pun not intended
  • Like 2

You know how the settings I listed state that mounts and boats are double speed as well? Well I don't think they were, and I think it is because I was misreading the mod properties file - I assumed the global modifiers would be multiplied by the specific modifiers. I think the specific was overriding the global, so now I have adjusted it and I believe we have double mount and boat speeds now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kiama said:

You know how the settings I listed state that mounts and boats are double speed as well? Well I don't think they were, and I think it is because I was misreading the mod properties file - I assumed the global modifiers would be multiplied by the specific modifiers. I think the specific was overriding the global, so now I have adjusted it and I believe we have double mount and boat speeds now.

I noticed the horse going at normal speed, but didn't bothered.. 😛
Will check it out tonight!

• Like 1

30kph in cart!  Woohoo.

I have cut a track running due east from the road at the spawn point to my camp on the coast of the Central Lakes Area.  Apart from making the trip in a couple of minutes, it also makes it easier to re-orient.  The track is on the north slop of the range and runs east/west.  If you are lost and come across it, you have a direct line back to the spawn camp.  It is only packed dirt for now, and even if I do get around to paving it, I don't plan to make it wider.

Time to build a boat and travel I think. 

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. I am starting the Stormguard loyalty reward system for Stormfall. I will use this system to (1) involve you in influencing the conditions of Stormfall and the Storm Islands, (2) to provide some of the currently unobtainable items, and (3) to reward the long-term loyalty of players regardless of how much time they have to be on.

The Stormguards

Those who join this system will be called Stormguards. You start as a Lv. 0 Stormguard. Each real-world month you have one or more choices to make that will influence the server for the next real-world year, and when you make your choices by commenting on this thread you will advance a level. When advancing, you can choose one reward with a level requirement that meets your new level. You can choose a reward more than once. When you choose a reward, your level will be reduced by the reward's level requirement.

You can advance one Stormguard level per real-world month, so you could advance at the end of August and the start of September. In your post, state your in-game name, your new level (taking into account the reduction from your reward), and your choices (including your choice of reward). Please keep past posts up so we can verify your current level. Apologies to those who would rather post to Steam but this system will be limited to these forums as I don't want to have to check more than one place.

August: Island-Dependent Ship Speed

The Stormguards have developed various new nautical technologies that allow their ships to go faster, but this technology is sensitive to the environment. Consequently, each of the four large ships is going to be a different speed on different islands. The Stormguards will influence which ships are good on which islands.

Regardless of our choices, the ships will still all be fast. The four ship speeds will range from 25% faster than the current speed of the rowing boat (which is already double normal rowboat speed) to double the current speed of the rowboat (in other words they will be 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% faster). All four ships will be significantly and equally affected by wind speed.

Your choices this month are: Choose a Ship and choose an Island. For each ship, I will make it fastest on the island that people chose most, and then I will try to make it second-fastest on the islands that people chose second and so on. However, the final arrangement will involve each ship being best on one island, second best on another island, third best on another island, and indeed worst on the last island. Each island will also have a ship at each different speed. It will essentially be a Su Do Ku, and it will be up to me to break ties, to decide for ships that no one picks, and fit it all together.

Ships: Corbita, Cog, Knarr, Caravel
Islands: Stormfall, Whitesand, Redmyst, Farmarsh

Remember that you can only choose one Ship and one Island.

Examples:

Kiama, Lv. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Redmyst, 4 x Sleeping Powder

Kiama, Lv. 0 Stormguard, Knarr, Stormfall, 2 x Shaker Orb

Note that next August's version of these choices may be different.

Stormguard Rewards

Lv. 0: 4 x Sleeping Powder
Lv. 1: 2 x Shaker Orb
Lv. 2: Personal Merchant Contract
Lv. 3: Ten 50 QL Sprouts of your choice
Lv. 4: Small Magical Chest, your choice of wood
Lv. 5: 1 Gold Coin
Lv. 6: Large Magical Chest, your choice of wood

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

Lowkey, Lv. 1 Stormguard, Knarr, Stormfall, 4 x Sleeping Powder

Edited by TheTrickster
(I WILL get the hang of this)
  • Like 1

Hey, nice ideea.

Zardoka, Lvl 1 Stormguard, Knarr, Farmarsh, 4x Sleeping Powder

Edited by Holeron
  • Like 1

Kiama, Lv. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Redmyst, 4 x Sleeping Powder

Looking out from Redmyst at night.

WgwSba9.jpg

Yes, it's dark.  Hence "night"  😁.

That is my little rowboat with a campfire - burning precious fuel.

• Like 2

Yasgur, Lvl 1 Stormguard, Corbita, Whitesand, 4x Sleeping Powder

• Like 1

Catgenova

Lv. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Stormfall, 4 x Sleeping Powder

• Like 1

Farce

Lv. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Stormfall, 4 x Sleeping Powder

• Like 1

Flempest

Lvl. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Stormfall, 4x sleeping powder

• Like 1