Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Stormfall: A New Nomadic Experience

Stormfall is a uniquely nomadic Wurm experience unlike anything else you have tried before.

ZknVsqJ.png

There are four islands that are connected to each other in a one-way counter-clockwise loop (pay attention to that). Whitesand is entirely desert. Redmyst is entirely tundra. Farmarsh is entirely marsh. Making a home in any of those will be respectively difficult, painful, and excruciating. Something to aspire to. But you start on Stormfall. All the islands are 2k across.

Each of the four islands has essential resources that are natively unique to them. Do you want Clay? You will only find it on Redmyst. Do you want Iron? You will only find it on Stormfall. In fact, almost every resource is limited to one particular island. And religion too, since the large Altars may only be used in Farmarsh.

This server cluster has deeding costs on. Thankfully you will gain copper coins just for being online... but only on the non-Stormfall islands, where you gain 2 copper coins every 10 minutes. On Stormfall, you get nothing.

During any given real-world month, there is a Storm on one of the islands other than Stormfall. The Storm makes the island uninhabitable. Translation: I shut the server down for that whole month. Look at the custom maps to see the Storm schedule.

All of which provides a unique nomadic Wurm experience. You will need to carefully plan your movements and wisely manage your resources.

There are a lot of consequences of this setup. One I need to point out especially is that this makes the server a real-world-month-long round trip. Edit: Except in the case of leaving Stormfall less than a month before the Storm crosses from Farmarsh to Whitesand.

Lastly, I will emphasize that this is a cluster with at least double (see first Stormguard choices) movement speed for players, horses, and boats. Along with 3x action speed / 15x skill gain, these are more "casual" servers than I have ever run before, if we just pretend everything I just wrote didn't happen. More importantly, these are servers where you can get things done - you'll just be forced to get them done in more than one place.

Server Settings

Spoiler

• PVE
  • 15x skill gain
  • 3x action speed
  • 20x mining hits per wall
  • 1 hour per crop stage
  • 3x player combat rating
  • At least double player, horse, and boat speed
  • Gain 2 copper and 2 karma every 10 minutes you are online, except on Stormfall
  • You start with a tent plus crude tools
  • There is no Body Strength requirement for loading/unloading
  • There are no Priest penalties, so you can improve, mine, chop, etc.
  • Rares more likely
  • No weeds
  • Farm more than 1 tile at a time at higher levels (3x3 at lv 50, 5x5 at lv 70, 7x7 at lv 90)
  • You can check burn time
  • You can check your bank from anywhere via your hand menu

Note that you will always connect via the login server, Stormfall, even when your character is on one of the other islands.

Discord: https://discord.gg/vgZxevytaD

Maps

Spoiler

Zk0QMB2.png

PxZuQsa.png

IIljpNK.png

Lz2K7iZ.png

The Stormguard Loyalty Reward System: August

Spoiler

Good morning everyone. I am starting the Stormguard loyalty reward system for Stormfall. I will use this system to (1) involve you in influencing the conditions of Stormfall and the Storm Islands, (2) to provide some of the currently unobtainable items, and (3) to reward the long-term loyalty of players regardless of how much time they have to be on.

The Stormguards

Those who join this system will be called Stormguards. You start as a Lv. 0 Stormguard. Each real-world month you have one or more choices to make that will influence the server for the next real-world year, and when you make your choices by commenting on this thread you will advance a level. When advancing, you can choose one reward with a level requirement that meets your new level. You can choose a reward more than once. When you choose a reward, your level will be reduced by the reward's level requirement.

You can advance one Stormguard level per real-world month, so you could advance at the end of August and the start of September. In your post, state your in-game name, your new level (taking into account the reduction from your reward), and your choices (including your choice of reward). Please keep past posts up so we can verify your current level. Apologies to those who would rather post to Steam but this system will be limited to these forums as I don't want to have to check more than one place.

August: Island-Dependent Ship Speed

The Stormguards have developed various new nautical technologies that allow their ships to go faster, but this technology is sensitive to the environment. Consequently, each of the four large ships is going to be a different speed on different islands. The Stormguards will influence which ships are good on which islands.

Regardless of our choices, the ships will still all be fast. The four ship speeds will range from 25% faster than the current speed of the rowing boat (which is already double normal rowboat speed) to double the current speed of the rowboat (in other words they will be 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% faster). All four ships will be significantly and equally affected by wind speed.

Your choices this month are: Choose a Ship and choose an Island. For each ship, I will make it fastest on the island that people chose most, and then I will try to make it second-fastest on the islands that people chose second and so on. However, the final arrangement will involve each ship being best on one island, second best on another island, third best on another island, and indeed worst on the last island. Each island will also have a ship at each different speed. It will essentially be a Su Do Ku, and it will be up to me to break ties, to decide for ships that no one picks, and fit it all together.

Ships: Corbita, Cog, Knarr, Caravel
Islands: Stormfall, Whitesand, Redmyst, Farmarsh

Remember that you can only choose one Ship and one Island.

Examples:

Kiama, Lv. 1 Stormguard, Caravel, Redmyst, 4 x Sleeping Powder

Kiama, Lv. 0 Stormguard, Knarr, Stormfall, 2 x Shaker Orb

Note that next August's version of these choices may be different.

The Stormguard Loyalty Reward System: September

Spoiler

Finally, the way to Farmash is open, and finally the Age of Religion begins!

There's only one problem. The Gods can't hear your invocations through the noise of the Storm. None of the Spells work, on any of the islands.

Not to fear though, the Stormguards have designed Temples that amplify the frequencies of divine wavelengths. So long as a certain Temple is built on an island, a certain invocation will be heard there. Translation: Build a Temple of [Spell] on an island to enable that spell for that island.

There are limitations however. Too many of these Temples would cancel each other out, causing the Gods to just hear white noise. So each Island can have a max of five Temples (for now). Oh... and each Spell can be on a max of one Island (yes, even Bless, so Silver and Gold altars may only be on one island for now). Otherwise the Gods get confused about where your invocation is coming from and misdirect the intended effect.

So which Spells will be on which Islands? The Stormguards decide! For your choice this month, you will choose an Island and choose a Spell. Now, I believe the next part is the exciting part but it is also completely optional. If you don't want to do it, simply choose an Island and a Spell.

If you are a creative type, you may also choose part of the specification for the Temple for that spell! Note that this is first come, first serve, so time is of the essence (if you are reading this in September). If you want to make sure you get a certain combination approved, you can advance a Stormguard level now and choose your Spell/Island combination, simply mentioning that you are going to edit it with the specification later when you have decided it.

To ensure a slight degree of consistency, all Temples must be:

• A single room with an altar
  • Between 2 and 4 floors high, but with the intermediate "floors" removed so that there is only one room with a high ceiling
  • Between 5 and 12 tiles large at each "floor"
  • Be named "Temple of [Spell name]"

Beyond this, you can add more specifications for the Spell you chose (such as specifying that the Temple of Bless must be built entirely of Marble) or further limit any points of the specification above (such as prescribing an exact shape of the finished building). You can specify certain furniture, or even certain trees planted nearby. If you do not provide any specification, players will simply be restricted to the above points.

Just remember this is more an opportunity for you to be creative than for you to make the task difficult for others. If part of your specification gets too unreasonable, you may be asked to lower or remove parts of it. But in all cases, I will give your specification a chance and see whether anyone can manage it. After all, building a Temple is expected to be (although does not need to be) a group effort as many will benefit from it existing and there is not any reward for having personally built it.

When the Temple is built to your specification, a screenshot should be uploaded to this thread and the Spell will thus be enabled for that Island.

If you choose a Spell for an Island then realise someone posted before you and chose the same Spell, or now there's more than 5 Spells on that Island, just edit your post and choose another combination.

Notes:

• All Spells will still be restricted to whichever Gods they are normally restricted to.
  • I have made it so that you don't have to wait a full month since you last advanced. You simply get to advance once each real-world month.
  • The initial 5 Spells per Island limit is just so that we spread the Spells around the 4 Islands to begin with. Once those 20 "spell slots" are used up, there will likely be more opportunity to add more Spells in the future.
  • Since Spells are limited to certain Islands, it is now fine to have Courier and Dark Messenger. However, remember that you cannot load any of the mailboxes, so mailing would be restricted to that Island.

The Stormguard Loyalty Reward System: October

Spoiler

The Storm is finally back to Redmyst, and it is as if we are back to the beginning. Yet, something is not the same. YOU are not the same. You have grown older, wiser, and richer. It is time you passed your wisdom on.

This month, choose another player who has not yet been to Farmarsh (if you haven't been, you can choose yourself). You will be their mentor and they will be your apprentice (or if it is yourself, consider yourself your own mentor). If and when that player next passes from Redmyst to Farmarsh, you will earn a Rare Strange Bone. A player can only have one mentor, not including self-mentoring (so a new player can pick themselves and you can pick them too). You may change your choice of apprentice at any time by posting to this forum with your change - do this if it is clear that your choice of apprentice has stopped playing so that you can still get a Strange Bone. And since you can change at any time, feel free to pick someone who you are not sure will keep playing. Also note that there is no actual obligation to mentor this person, but obviously helping them helps you.

If there's not enough new people relative to old people this month, you can include "TBA" instead of the player name and update us when you have found someone.

As usual, see the bottom of the original post to see how the Stormguard system works if this is new to you.

Example advancement this month:

Kiama, Stormguard Lv 3, NewPlayerName, 4 x Sleep Powder

Stormguard Rewards

Lv. 0: 4 x Sleeping Powder
Lv. 1: 2 x Shaker Orb
Lv. 2: Personal Merchant Contract
Lv. 3: Ten 50 QL Sprouts of your choice
Lv. 4: Small Magical Chest, your choice of wood
Lv. 5: 1 Gold Coin
Lv. 6: Large Magical Chest, your choice of wood

The Stormguards use UK time.

All servers restart each day at 7am UK time.

I now have a Patreon to open up the possibility of expanding this cluster more. I believe it is very reasonable in its extent - the rewards are either shared by everyone or are Strange Bones, which only provide rarity (which is already very easily obtained in our cluster). And even the Strange Bones aren't just given to Patreons; they have to be found by them.

Edited by Kiama
Added Patreon
  • Like 5

This sounds very intriguing!

Edit w question:  If REDMYST is in storm for the month of July, does that mean there is no way to acquire clay for forges etc till August? Just as an example, I can rough it for a while/

Also:  ""

• You may build near the Altars (which are only in Farmarsh), controlling access to them""

Controlling access to the alters reminds me of PvP. But there is no PvP here, correct? But people are allowed to block access to others by say building a wall around them? Can they deed the altars?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

It's great to see someone do something different, I have a couple of questions, so what happens if you travel to an island server then log out, and then that server storm hits, you're basically not able to play for the rest of that month? Also, what is to stop someone using the plot course option, has this been disabled?

Edited by solmark

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Edit w question:  If REDMYST is in storm for the month of July, does that mean there is no way to acquire clay for forges etc till August? Just as an example, I can rough it for a while/

100% correct.

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Controlling access to the alters reminds me of PvP. But there is no PvP here, correct? But people are allowed to block access to others by say building a wall around them? Can they deed the altars?

Yes, this is PVE. You cannot deed near per usual but you can build structures and fences within 20 tiles. However you arrange this, it will be possible to get through somewhere by destroying a fence. That said, you can greatly stifle other players' access with enough work. Not that there is any need for anyone to. It is just another possibility.

Now is anyone going to go to the trouble of blocking off the altars? I'm not expecting anyone to. Farmarsh is so difficult to get started in, as each marsh tile requires boarding up to remove, and you can't go there more than once a month. So to be honest you don't need to worry about it.

Nonetheless this allows me to expand on my approach:

1. I consider Religion merely another resource. And while it is convenient, it is very much an optional resource. It isn't the end of the world if players can't get it, it is essentially just another interesting thing about the present limitations.
  2. I LIKE players being political forces in the world, and I like them contributing to its lore. When I say be kind, I mean stuff like don't personally attack people in chat. But in terms of character actions, the limit is mostly your imagination, and I threw this out there as an example. I really like other players being political forces in the world, and I like them contributing to its lore. Perhaps players want to reform their pagan religion to a capitalist institution where people have to pay for access to one of its sacred places. Perhaps they hate all religion and want to prevent them from developing a following as long as possible. Maybe they just want to get a head start in their religion before other players get a chance to adopt it, harnessing ancient power and protecting it from others.
  3. I also like players contributing to lore in the opposite direction. They can take on the role of evangelists of a forgotten religion. They can race to 40 faith and convert as many others to Priests as possible. Then maybe one day they decide to stop evangelising and become a secret cult. That doesn't bother me, I LOVE that. This server cluster doesn't have to be one particular thing, you get to play a part in what it is.
  4. In general, the level of player freedom I grant you gives you the chance to have consequential relationships with each other player where you understand that you could each make life better or worse for each other.

2 hours ago, solmark said:

It's great to see someone do something different, I just have a question, so what happens if you travel to an island server then log out, and then that server storm hits, you're basically not able to play for the rest of that month?

Yes you have to take the Storm seriously. The Storm is heartless. I won't be turning that server back on just to let someone off. You will be trapped in the swirling currents of the Storm for a whole actual month (fortunately you can't die of starvation in Wurm, also thank you Wogic for saving me from having to make something up about the Storm feeding people). But you are welcome to have alts on this cluster so if that does happen you could start an alt. Generally though, please move on before the Storm comes, for your own good!

2 hours ago, solmark said:

Also, what is to stop someone using the plot course option, has this been disabled?

Dear god you frightened me here for a moment. So basically it isn't possible to Plot course but I will explain why I was worried. It wouldn't have completely destroyed the concept of this server cluster but one-way travel contributes significantly. 

Now, I thought I had previously tested to make sure this wasn't an option. I disabled the feature globally and also made sure this actually was reflected in the server database (FeatureID 79, Enabled False in the OVERRIDDENFEATURES table). However, I just noticed that Plot course is available for me. But it seems to be only because my character was a GM. I have tested it with a non-GM and the option isn't there (I show the chat so you can see I didn't accidentally board the boat as a passenger, and yes I did transfer ownership to Toriel).

Zi4PQyt.png

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 1

Very creative and unique idea, which you clearly put a lot of time, thought and effort into! Even though I personally wouldn't enjoy (or be very good at!) this style of game play I wanted to say GREAT JOB. It is sad to see how few new servers appear nowadays and how few players are left so just seeing this post made me happy 👍😀 I wish you the very best going forward.

• Like 1

I'll go for Willow saplings please! 

Ig=Moltenclaw

Edited by solmark
  • Like 1

I would like to get started with the oak sprouts.
signed, flempest

• Like 1

>> I will grant ten 50 QL saplings of one tree of your choosing to anyone who replies to this post

I would like 10 cedar sprouts. Ingame name: Sprout

• Like 1

Whitesand is spooky when you arrive in the dark o_0 Everything is ghostlike and it feels you landed on the moon ...

• Like 2

[23:00:27] You currently have 2 copper on your bank account.

BUT I AM RICH !!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

[23:00:27] You currently have 2 copper on your bank account.

BUT I AM RICH !!!!

The richest person of Stormfall!!

• Like 1

[03:38:31] You feel the presence of Libila. 

uvdTJ8u.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

[03:38:31] You feel the presence of Libila. 

To be clear for others seeing this, you can't use this altar to convert, right Brash?

That is correct :) It does not allow you to convert. It is still imposing to come across, in this bleak world of nothingness.

Wonders what a little dirt, a few fir sprouts and some terraforming will do however!

Onward to Redmyst in a few days, then Farmarsh in September! 

• Like 1

One of my brothers and I decided on Cedar and Cherry sprouts (hopefully my other brother joins in time).

A reminder that you need to let me know which sprouts you want before August. The tree/bush types that are not on the server at that time may never be on the server.

Hi there, i would love to have birch sprouts please. Thanks. Name: Zardoka

• Like 1

Birch and pine are great choices for nomads because they grow so much faster into "wood producing machines". Oak and willow are the slowest.  Most of the rest are kind of inbetween.

I chose cedar sprouts, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked pine instead!

• Like 1

For new people, we still need:
Trees: linden, pine, walnut, chestnut and lemon
Bushes: camellia, lavender, oleander, rose, grape, lingonberry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taranis said:

For new people, we still need:
Trees: linden, pine, walnut, chestnut and lemon
Bushes: camellia, lavender, oleander, rose, grape, lingonberry

This is getting kind of scary for people who like to have every kind of tree!

6 minutes ago, Kiama said:

This is getting kind of scary for people who like to have every kind of tree!

You mean for people like me 😛

Edited by Taranis
  • Like 1

I shall give this a whirl.  Lowkey in game.  Walnut sprouts please 🙂🙂

• Like 2

Tree and bushes list update (what we don't have yet)

Linden, pine and chestnut
Camellia, lavender, oleander, rose, grape and lingonberry

• Like 1

Well, apart from fir, there are also thornbushes.   I had forgotten my dislike of running through the fir forest - but then it wasn't "spiced up" with thornbush booby traps  🤪

• Like 3