Sign in to follow this  
Jeston

Fix Lighting and make nights darker again please.

Ever since the lighting update last year the nights have never been the same and much brighter overall. I had some people tell me it's cause of the multiple moons which cannot be true since this happens when none of the moons are up even (clear sky). Its really jarring during sunset and sunrise as well cause the light from the sun shines through the land even after it has set making everything glow red-ish anyway on the side its setting or rising, the inside of buildings as well light up when they should be shaded. Before the game looked great at night and was my favorite and after it just looks bright and weird.

jNtSiI3.jpg

This is what it looks like at peak darkness, you can still see red light on the trees when the sun has been down for a long time. I am not by any other light sources in the game.

ZVQ8HkE.jpg

I took these pictures to show what I am talking about, this is what it looks like after the sun has set behind the horizon/mountains and it only fixes once the sun has been down for long enough time but that doesn't matter much since it lasts for little time once the sun starts to rise and shines through the world again before it even crests the horizon. I am next to a mountain yet the light comes right through it to illuminate my building and trees. I don't know why nights were made lighter other than to be noob friendly but it looks bad.

What nights should look like.

lMuVjQo.jpg

3a8fc89ffb.jpg

f98d90b1ef.png

383c6c49615d8ae97f983acf4bac9bf0.jpg

BdM9wP8.jpg

cb142ee77861d3ec6979cafc0001e690.jpg

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 9

oh god, please no.. Another pointless suggestion.. Not dark enough.. How dark is it in real during full moon? Now keep in mind there are 4 moons in wurm and all of them always full! playing wurm at night time is crap already as it is.. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

oh god, please no.. Another pointless suggestion.. Not dark enough.. How dark is it in real during full moon? Now keep in mind there are 4 moons in wurm and all of them always full! playing wurm at night time is crap already as it is.. 

How dark is it when there is no full moon or half moon? how dark is it with clouds covering the moon? you didn't even read my post to see your argument is invalid, the light doesn't change from the moons at night in wurm its always bright even when they cannot be seen. Just a pointless argument. Too dark? its called a lantern and we all start with one. Wurms loss of dark nights has also invalidated all lamps other than ones in caves.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 4

I for one remember the dark nights.  It was incredibly awesome and scary when I was new.  I miss this badly and wish it was like that again.

• Like 6

We need two sliders.

• One for the brightness of areas that have dynamic lights.
  • One for areas that have no lights.

This allows people with weird graphics hardware to adjust to it, and ensures that everyone gets the game experience they want.

• Like 3

I would appreciate more possibilities to steer lighting. Just a hint: not everything which is not Windows, and not 8GB+ RAM latest graphics controller is "weird". And it is not only hardware. Mac drivers to my knowledge are not fully adapted to latest GLSL, so isn't Mesa Driver of Nouveau open source driver software.

+1, but do it by adding some sliders. Let people choose their own settings. I'd personally like it darker, but I'm sure there are also people who like it the way it is.

• Like 1

For me nights are super dark already. At night time I can hardly see a thing, and when trying to sail it is almost impossible. If this is something to be added then please make it a setting that can be changed. 

• Like 2

this is more of a setting 'want' than actual need, at night it's already dark and hard to find things easily, I don't want or need to boost my brightness to see..  we're not playing a game with hide and seek and need to hide things in the dark corners

Bump and +1. Darker nights please but allow it to be set to a slider to assist those who cannot have it that dark. 

• Like 1

I have found out that if you turn off volumetric bloom and ambient occlusion, you get the dark nights back.

Well i can understand that some doesnt anymore darkness and others want it darker, all i can say is use the monitor bright/darker options for now with a remote or on desktop.

Later on, wouldnt hurt to have these on the option settings, able to choose lighter or darker environments for their taste. I think its vary to everyone, due to hardware here.

14 minutes ago, Sylvanas said:

Well i can understand that some doesnt anymore darkness and others want it darker, all i can say is use the monitor bright/darker options for now with a remote or on desktop.

Later on, wouldnt hurt to have these on the option settings, able to choose lighter or darker environments for their taste. I think its vary to everyone, due to hardware here.

See that makes the whole thing dark 😕

-1 A couple of hardware and software architectures, especially on laptops and under Linux and MacOs, still have dark, partially far too dark nights, especially when on sea, and in caves. You have already the option to switch off ambient occlusion and volumetric, and can trim down brightness in the settings.

The weather is another topic. To my knowledge, it is a matter of the latest OpenGL (which does not exist for MacOS and open source Linux Nvidia drivers [Mesa-GL]). Under those architectures you still have fog, lightnings, rainbows etc. but not the new pretty skies, even under modern renderer. It is a bit weird to hear thunder and learn that hay is taking damage from rain under perfectly blue skies.

5 hours ago, Gawain said:

See that makes the whole thing dark 😕

I just noticed there is one under Graphic Settings, there a option to adjust light to darker in the background. Didnt know they added this.

• Like 1

I like the nights as they are on my computer with my settings. If you are suggesting that they make more options so those who want a pitch black night can have it, then ok, but -1 to arbitrarily making the game darker

• Like 1

also what happened to the fog weather, we used to get blinding fog sometimes before these lighting updates but now fog is pathetic to non-existent havent seen it once maybe in north servers, also its not just the darkness I am talking about in this but the light that shines through the world until the sun has been down for quite some time and then when it starts to rise it prematurely lights stuff up even though it has yet to crest the horizon, it just looks bad

Edited by Jeston

Make night super dark again & bring back old fog where you couldn't see the horses hitched to your wagon.

• Like 2

I agree lamps are very useless now a days, there is like 0 point in crafting them when the area is super bright as it is, I play WU and the caves don't need lamps ether there bright aswell... 

I also remember when fog and night time was challenging you would need to find a lamp to take with you into the unknown darkness was very fun.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, Skatyna said:

+1 for darkening the game again with some changes though.  I'd like to see moon phases and lighting at night be variable with some kind of weather update if they darken the game again.  I really love the update to the day/night cycle, but game still could use a weather update so it's not only viable for sailing.