Sign in to follow this  
Mowglia

Client Launch Crash Resets PC (Multiple Clients)

I have an issue with the launcher, running multiple clients.

Without being too long-winded, first some background which may be helpful. About a year ago I used to play on Epic, and have done on and off for years. On the PC I'm using right now I ran 4 'mains' with regular settings (pretty much maxed graphics), and another 4 'sermon alts' using reduced graphics settings. Everything worked just fine. I'd get the odd dropout occasionally (client to desktop), but I'd launch the client again no problem. Basically there was no issue.

Now I started playing again and moved to Freedom, whereupon all priestly settings from the past several years were reset. I have to grind the 3 priests again (namely Faith) which is not an option without sermon alts and using multiple clients. Granted that's a personal choice, but it's one I feel I have to make to preserve my own sanity. So I need to be able to multibox 8 clients (as I was doing before on this PC).

My specific issue is this: regarding the new client/UI, usually when I launch the first one then everything is fine. Sometimes not, but I'll get to that later. Except when launching additional clients, the client can and often does completely restart my PC (i.e., not simply crashing to desktop). A complete reinstall can fix this for a while, but the behaviour soon occurs again. It's impossible for me to run 8 clients now, as one of them will almost restart my PC during launch. I can usually run a single client no problem.

However, occasionally a client will crash in such a way as to prevent me from launching the launcher at all without a complete reinstall. The launcher attempts to launch but the small window disappears very rapidly and nothing else happens (at which point I can't even change the client type without reinstalling).

Initially I thought that using the old files containing my previous settings might be the cause, so I did a completely new install in a fresh location. I deleted everything Wurm-related I could find and set everything up again from scratch. It seemed to work ok, for a while using at most a handful of clients, and then I stress-tested it with all 8 toons whereupon the client launches started resetting the PC again. What doesn't help is that when this happens it often appears to reset all keybinds to null, which impedes my investigation of the issue. The keybind reset to null might be specific to crashing with the new launcher/UI rather than the old one (not sure yet).

As of tonight I tried using the Wurm Online "Choose Client" launcher and selected "Live - Old UI", but after booting several clients up the client launcher soon started resetting the PC again :(

There are other things I can try, such as reinstalling somewhere new again and launching only with the old UI rather than the new one, but I'm out of time right now.

The bottom line is I really do have to get the launcher working properly, like it used to, or else I can't play Wurm like I did before :mellow:

Has anyone else had this issue, or similar, and managed to find a fix, or simply got any advice on how to proceed in order to determine what's going wrong? Any help greatfully appreciated!

If your entire pc is resetting its likely a hardware fault, not a bug in the game. 

I'd suggest looking into windows event logs 

Yup, the PC actually resets as additional clients are launched (although how many is unpredictable), not just crashing to desktop (as used to happen occasionally, but only after the client had been running a while).

Wouldn't a hardware fault manifest itself in other ways? This only happens when I use the Wurm Online launcher, and never for numerous other games and applications. Whatever the issue is, it appears specific to the Wurm Online launcher.

I don't know if it helps, but check your ram consumption as you play.

The current round of memory leaks will eat up all my ram if I let it and completely freeze out my computer. I had to make a small script to force close my clients when it hits an arbitrarily high usage.

I'm fairly certain it's not memory. I only use 16Gb but using task manager to monitor memory as I play doesn't show anything excessive. Next time I boot up additional clients I'll check memory while it's actually doing that though, just to be sure.

The 4th client just crashed on 47% memory usage according to Task Manager. I can't be sure, but I don't think it's a memory issue.

I ran chkdsk on both C and D drives. C was fine, and D needed some minor corrections to the file system, but fixing it did not alter the behaviour of the client launcher.

There's only so much I can do myself, but I'll do what I can and report back in case this helps anyone else.

Next I'll update the Nvidia graphics drivers and use default settings, just in case it's that simple.

Then I'll do a clean reinstall and try using the only the Old UI exactly like I was using before.

If that doesn't work then I'll do a clean reinstall and try the Low Memory UI (you never know).

If all this doesn't work then I'll start playing around with the renderer (Modern/Legacy), and fiddling with the settings there. The client launcher always crashes at the point where it's about to display the play window, so the renderer might be a promising avenue to investigate, although why some clients would work and then one random client fail is beyond me.

Assuming none of the above works then the only other thing I can think of is: can we launch into SFI using Steam; is the client different? Can we multibox with the Steam client? If so then might be worth a shot...

So now this starts to feel like tying to rare a sword off just 5 imps, lol. We will see though!

21 hours ago, Dinant said:

The current round of memory leaks will eat up all my ram if I let it and completely freeze out my computer. I had to make a small script to force close my clients when it hits an arbitrarily high usage.

Purely out of curiosity, do you have a link to more info regarding this? The more info I can get regarding existing issues with the client the better, given the circumstances.

I cannot get the new launcher/UI to work with 8 clients, just not gonna happen. There seems to be some kind of issue with this launcher: during my brief testing I noticed that CPU/GPU levels were not dropping as expected when these clients were in the background.

The old UI (which I was using before with few issues) also struggles, even when all the post-processing effects were turned off. I did manage to get all 8 toons online once, but my PC crashed within minutes.

The old low-memory client also failed, on the first attempt to launch a client...

But there is hope! Using the old UI with post-processing effects off, v-sync off (in the Nvidia settings), and the legacy renderer: I managed to get all 8 clients working first time. Maybe it was a fluke, but I'm hoping this will work consistently, and will report back after I've been doing it a while. I also noticed rain and rainbows, which come to think of it I cannot recall seeing in so long I can't even remember?!

@devs: please keep the old UI and legacy renderer going for as long as possible, as it seems right now it's the only way I can do what I need to do!

I had crashes with no error msg while running just 1 client and what seems to have fixed it for me is change FBO to Extension or Disabled from Core.

Basically remove shadows.

Game will look poopier but no crashes so far.

This isn't an issue while the clients are running; if I can get them running then they are generally pretty stable.

It's an issue while launching (that occurs right at the end of the "picture" screen).

I've been using the Old UI client with Legacy Renderer for a while, and it's going ok. It's certainly stable enough to do what I need to do, so panic over for now at least :)