Sign in to follow this  
wsrich

Mailbox Call-back

Hi guys, 

I'm gonna start off by saying, I'm sick to death of people abusing the mailbox system.. asking people to cod them items and never receive them.

Not only does this depreciate the item's value as the time taken to get it back is like 2 weeks, you might need to sell for reasons like buying prem or items off other players and are relying on that coin!

When I sell items I for one expect the buyer to collect that day at the most, recently I had the last straw with someone not getting the mail,
not going to mention any names but its one of the most ignorant things someone can do on here if they intend to do it on purpose.

So I thought of the Mail Call-Back option !

When you send mail and it goes over 24 hours without being received there should be a option for the sender to call back the item, this would incur a charge to the original sender and would give ample enough time for buyer to collect it,
but if its goes over the 24 hours and sender still wants it to stay there for the buyer the mailbox system would do the same as always and send it back in a week or whatever the time out is. 

This is something that protects sellers on this game from people taking advantage in a malicious and long winded way, but also protects the buyer as they have a 24 hour window to collect the mail at said price. 

Edited by wsrich
  • Like 3

thoe I've never experienced this in a malicious fashion with my market, I would love to see this feature simple for the fact that I fumble finger a name from time to time and cant do anything about it for 2 weeks.

• Like 2

This would save a few different types of mistakes and rule out people abusing the wait time 

I would like to see two options.

1. A Recall Items command, on your mailbox, that would
    1. immediately send back to you any item(s) that were waiting in anybody else's mailbox
    2. charge you the mailing cost for each such item, if it had been sent COD
  2. A profile option to speed up the time out for mails that are returned.

This is because I've seen two kinds of irritating behavior from mail recipients. First, people asking for things to be sent COD and not paying for them. Second, things being sent for free, and still not being accepted (because they put out a general request for help, and neglected to tell everyone when someone had mailed them what they wanted) and the being returned to you. I do not want to pay 1c to get this stupid spindle or whatever back, but neither do i want imps whispering in my ear every day for a week about it.

ETA oh, and the first option lets you correct mistakes you may have made, without harming any other player. Sent out something for the wrong price? Recall it, pay the copper, send it out for the correct price, be more careful next time.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

@Sheffie
i agree, I'm not sure immediately will be a option as people can abuse that in ways of if they get a better offer just call it back, i think 24 hours is fair as it locks it to the buyer for that time so you cant call back and sell to someone else paying an extra 10c. 

Edited by wsrich
  • Like 1

+1, i had problem one time that person didnt want to pick up tome that he wanted to "buy" from me

I'll give a +1 for both the OP and Sheffie's alternative. Either would work for me.

I like the idea for the same reason that Virusmd does: correcting typos.  But that’s it.

I don’t care for the implication that someone must pick it up within 24h or else.  If the seller is absolutely relying on that sale to pay for premium, upkeep, or other purchases?  That’s on the seller.   Buy a few more silver from the shop if it’s needed that badly. 

No one has any idea what emergencies might arise in the life of the person on the other end of that agreement that might suddenly and unexpectedly keep them from Wurm for a day, a week, or more.

If someone is actively and repeatedly abusing that trust?  Absolutely - name and shame.  But please don’t assume malicious intent out of the gate.

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sidereal said:

I like the idea for the same reason that Virusmd does: correcting typos.  But that’s it.

I don’t care for the implication that someone must pick it up within 24h or else.  If the seller is absolutely relying on that sale to pay for premium, upkeep, or other purchases?  That’s on the seller.   Buy a few more silver from the shop if it’s needed that badly. 

No one has any idea what emergencies might arise in the life of the person on the other end of that agreement that might suddenly and unexpectedly keep them from Wurm for a day, a week, or more.

If someone is actively and repeatedly abusing that trust?  Absolutely - name and shame.  But please don’t assume malicious intent out of the gate.

Someone has abused it very much so to the point of them striking a deal with me for 4 lumps 2 glimmer and 2 addy - and he finally took the mail and accepted half the items and only took the glimmer for a very discounted price and retuned the rest even though we settled on a deal. i think sellers should have some options that will protect them from this. 

Maybe even a mailbox that you can bundle items up for a price to stop people taking what they want and returning the rest after striking a deal. 

just think it needs some polishing. 

We strongly need a log feature of the deliveries - including log entry of outgoing mail waiting for pickup, log entry on pickup or return. It can be so very confusing for heavy mail users. (also please include a transaction log for merchants....)

On the bundled deal issue there is a workaround - put the items into a barrel, backpack or similar. That way the recipient can only accept the whole package or nothing, and 1c extra paid for the mailing of the container is not a high "insurance" fee from your side (I always deduct that mail cost from the total so the buyer will not be charged 1c more than expected).

• Like 2