Sign in to follow this  
belacane

hunting / mob spawn fix on SFI

Since August, 2020, there has been a significant lack of mobs on the southern freedom isles for hunting. A single player can hunt out a desert in a short time, and mobs do not seem to respawn quickly at all.

Hunting is a large part of what makes Wurm fun, and it seems like hunting has basically been eliminated on the SFI.

Just from conversation with other players, many of us are frustrated by this, and simply finding another place to hunt is no longer feasible, since mobs are so few and one needs to travel so far just to get some good hunting in. This has become a QOL issue, I feel.

Can we get a fix for this, please?

Edited by belacane

I still don't understand this issue.  I have admittedly been away from the game for a couple of months and only started back in the last couple of weeks.  However, today I went on my first little foray off deed since coming back - maybe 15-30 minutes round trip, and I came across; 3 hellhounds, 2 trolls, 4 spiders, 2 brown bears and a wolf, plus a couples of pigs, a horse, a donkey, a bison and a sheep.    Is that considered low?

Since the donkeys were introduced (end may) and their spawn was boosted not to long after, the agros are no longer respawning.

I see this on Independence, western desert (mousehole) was always full of scorps/crocs/etc even has 2 spawners, but nothing is to be found anymore for a few weeks now.

Other players on inde in different parts report the same.

If you look at the creature graph: https://freedom001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Aggressive creatures has dropped from 22k to 16k in the last month.

Edited by Lycanthropic

I’m not sure where you’re located, but based on chatter I’ve been hearing and my travels, what you described is fairly rare on most parts of the SFI.

There was a dip in the mob count on most servers recently (Animal Husbandry update perhaps?).

Green are the aggressive mobs so it does seem like it's a valid concern but ~15k aggro mobs on Independence at the lowest point still seems like enough for everyone so perhaps they wander to inaccessible areas?

On the other hand, at the lowest point, it's only half of what it was in peak, 9 months ago.

Smaller servers show smaller decline but the pattern is there.

creatures-year.png

creatures-year.png

creatures-year.png

creatures-year.png

No mobs on Xanadu, apparently:

creatures-year.png

• Like 1

I posted about the reduced mob spawns after the August 2020 update and was told to quit complaining, go find other hunting spots, and the spawns will settle out in a couple of months.  The spawns haven't settled out, in my opinion, and the few good hunting zones I have found on SFI are being over-hunted and emptied of mobs.  Over the last 18 months I've spent a lot of time and well over 100 silver (entirely my own fault) placing, and maintaining deeds only to have the mob spawn vanish or have hunters come through clearing it out on a regular basis.  At this point I'm finding little enjoyment in the game.

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I still don't understand this issue.  I have admittedly been away from the game for a couple of months and only started back in the last couple of weeks.  However, today I went on my first little foray off deed since coming back - maybe 15-30 minutes round trip, and I came across; 3 hellhounds, 2 trolls, 4 spiders, 2 brown bears and a wolf, plus a couples of pigs, a horse, a donkey, a bison and a sheep.    Is that considered low?

that's nothing for that time.. you'll kill them in 2-5minutes and forget about it, most of the time that it takes is missing to hit* or time to fucus to land hits

I miss old north hunting.. you get out and 10 mobs just are in your surrounding area, you move a bit and things are consistent when you go anywhere off the mainroads, the rebalancing of mob spawns 'severely' hurt that aspect of north side of servers, now it's a matter of being close to a desert and going there every once in a while and fight squealing scorpions - not entertaining... and if you aren't packing right weapon just slow-er than usual to kill them

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thalorane said:

I posted about the reduced mob spawns after the August 2020 update and was told to quit complaining, go find other hunting spots, and the spawns will settle out in a couple of months.  The spawns haven't settled out, in my opinion, and the few good hunting zones I have found on SFI are being over-hunted and emptied of mobs.  Over the last 18 months I've spent a lot of time and well over 100 silver (entirely my own fault) placing, and maintaining deeds only to have the mob spawn vanish or have hunters come through clearing it out on a regular basis.  At this point I'm finding little enjoyment in the game.

It seems that while data supports proof of  mob spawn, it’s obviously not evened out enough for players to get enjoyment out of it.

this definitely needs a fix.

donkeys are everywhere now.. You cant even find a horse no more 🧐

18 hours ago, Bakhita said:

Merged similar threads. 

Thanks, I was wondering where mine went :)

Must have overlooked this one.

Yeah, there are still 15k agros hiding somewhere, but you cant deny something is wrong since the donkey-spawn update.

I have a huge (and I mean HUGE) mine, practically the mountain next to my deed Havilah is hollowed out. I could hunt big amount of lava spiders, lava fiends, black bears, bugs, etc in there every weekend, but now its completley barren, agros didnt respawn after being killed in there.

The mousehole desert also, has 2 spawners on there, huge desert (so lots of natural spawns), still nothing (besides the 2-3 hell horses), other people from a few other corners of inde report the same emptyness.

Even went to the top of a huge mountain, capped with steppe, where only I have access to (because a friend of mine put me on the permissions ogf the houses in that tunnel leading up to the top), found 3 hellhounds (and 10 donkeys and 10ish sheep).

So yeah, 2 examples of big spawning areas where only I can get to, and one that is public, so someone cleaning those out every day would seem very unlikely (desert could be possible, but the numbers on the graph dont lie).

I dont know if its because everybody is breeding domestic animals like crazy since new AH, and the agros pool is getting used to make non-agros, but I tought that was fixed years ago, so agros dont drop so drastically when more people have passive animals.

Anyways, I'm killing every passive creature I see now to, in hopes to see something happen to the agro spawn in north-west inde. But not looking so good atm.

EDIT: And yes, I wont deny, I got 10 donkeys and a bunch of fresh sheep on my deed since the update, so I can grind AH, so I might be part of the problem, but I'm still not sure whats going on with that blue line on the graph.

EDIT 2: Wait?! My thread was merged with this one in suggestions? So it is not considered a bug by the devs? The huge drop in the graph since the AH update is considered ok and nothing to worry about? Oh well... guess its back to north xanadu to progress my 20k goal and grind out my skills...

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 1

I've not really seen any change on my island on pristine. Maybe some more non aggressive animals but there are still ###### loads of spiders, crocs and trolls here. I can go down a path along certain parts of the island and have 4 crocs on me with some spiders wanting to join the fun. 

Then again, there are only 3 deeds on the island.  Remember too that deeds also decrease the spawn rate near them.

Might be due to donkeys. I do admit I have seen an absurd amount of them on Desertion lately and they spawn indiscriminately of biome. They spawn in steppe, forest, desert, everywhere. It might affect creature aggro cap. I personally don't mind less aggressive creatures on a server but I admit for hunters it's a terrible experience. 

On 7/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, Locath said:

No mobs on Xanadu, apparently:

Yes, https://freedom007.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

is obviously broken.

In creatures.old, first line is 1626701701 118172 295433

If I interpret that correctly, it means that on Monday, July 19, 2021 13:35:01 UTC there were 295,433 mobs, 118,172 aggressive.

Don't ask me what is wrong 😎

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1