Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's creature suggestions

Some non-aggressive animals should live in a defending herd, ie becoming aggressive if the player tries to capture one of them.

To catch a buffalo or a wild horse, the player should first tame it, which would slow down a bit the rate of catching wild animals early in the game.

Additionally, wild horses should require some prior training to behave exactly as the player expects them to. Until the horse is properly trained, it should randomly throw the player and not always move in the direction that the player expects it. In the case of animals reproduced by players, this problem would not occur. In early game even premium players can use donkeys for riding, before they are able to breed a generation of horses on the farm.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

This gets a No from me, if I wanted to play a cowboy simulator I would go find one or become one in real life. Your simply adding in more randomness and difficulty for what reason...just because?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

for what reason...just because?

Because he already has his horses. New players who often rely on wild greys to save their life, can train their taming if they want to survive...

UrCLkem.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Locath said:

Because he already has his horses. New players who often rely on wild greys to save their life, can train their taming if they want to survive...

UrCLkem.png

Since when does the new player have the characteristics that allow him to ride a horse?

Just now, Darnok said:

Since when does the new player have the characteristics that allow him to ride a horse?

Carts, it's large carts. It's now many of us started, we lived off a cart. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

This gets a No from me, if I wanted to play a cowboy simulator I would go find one or become one in real life. Your simply adding in more randomness and difficulty for what reason...just because?

To slow down the rate of catching wild animals at the beginning of the game. For example, bisons disappear from the map very quickly and land on deeds for breeding.
Maybe even a sufficiently high characteristic should be required to lead an animal, because such a bison would in fact not allow one person to get caught on the line.

2 minutes ago, Locath said:

Carts, it's large carts. It's now many of us started, we lived off a cart. 

Now you have donkey for early stage of the game 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

the beginning of the game. 

Please just go play Wurm Unlimited lmao. WO doesn't have a "beginning of the game" where the rate at which everyone's gathering animals matters. The steam launch should be (and probably is) the last time new servers are added.

This new "feature" just sounds awful for everyone who actually plays the game

The problems I see are the fact that players have hundreds of animals trapped on their deeds, which not only negatively affects the spawning of wild animals, but makes no sense from the "gameplay" point of view, because the player who deals with them only logs in the game, plants some grass and uses the brush hundreds of times, and next generations are random there is no link between the skill of the character, players made work to keep these animals and their traits.

The new traits are good, but I have a little problem about their randomness. In my opinion, they should be divided into tiers, for example:
It has fleeter movement than normal - tier 1,
It has very strong leg muscles - tier 2,
It has lightning movement - tier 3.
Randomly while breeding animal may only receive a trait from tier 1. Of course, it can only get trait speed, only draft, output etc or a combination of more than one trait type, but all of them can be only at tier 1.

In order to breed a better animal, you need to train it properly first, that is, if you breed a horse that has to move quickly, you have to ride it a lot. Then a given horse increases its speed-training-skill and the higher your AH skill, the faster the animal's skill gain.

After breeding a horse with the maximum speed-training-skill value, its offspring have a good chance of getting tier 2 trait speed.

I would also add a change for different type of breeding, for example horses designed for fast movement cannot spend their entire lives on the area of 2 tiles. Every few hours they should "move/run" a few tiles and if they do not pass 3-4 unique tiles, they start to develop a negative trait or trait output (which should have a negative value for speed and draft).

On the other hand, breeding sheep, pigs, cows or bulls focused on the greatest possible amount of products from the animal should be designed in such a way that the animal moves as little as possible, because output training would only take place on the basis of keeping the animal in a tight pen.
Combat trait would of course be trained by fighting, and here are my other suggestions that players should lose animals more frequently during PvE hunting.

As for the draft, I had suggested adding a plow a few months earlier, so now there would be two methods of training a draft animal. Harnessing it to a vehicle or less risky use for plowing a field (why would players use a plow instead of rake? Simple at the same time, it would increase farming, AH and animal draft-skill).

The animals that we set as "care for" should also gain training-skill faster.

Edit: Harsh winter

If someone would start game today and would like to have as many animals as this player whose collection I showed (below during discussion), then he would not have a chance to achieve his goal.

I'm not saying that such players do something wrong, because the rules of the game allow it you to have large collection of animals, but in my opinion, these rules should be slightly changed so that the player who starts the game 1 year after start of  map can also achieve same goal, otherwise joining the map, which is only 1 year old no longer makes sense.

I suggest to solve this problem like that... animals that are outside during winter should get sick and die.

Grass should not grow in winter, so if animal eats everything from a given tile, it starts to starve.

In my opinion, these two changes would be enough to improve the game and level the playing field in animal husbandry.

There would still be no limit to the maximum number of animals you can keep, you could even buy 5 deeds and have 500 or more animals on each, but the game would require you to take care of them a little more actively, so in winter you would have to lock them in stables and feed.

Simple, realistic, rewarding for active players.

Two ideas on how to keep animals alive during winter if you forgot to stockpile hay:

- Hay can be bought in the starting cities for Silver, for those players who have herds so large that they cannot keep their animals alive just by using in game resources.

- For more active players with smaller herds, I suggest adding a new map that will have spring or summer at the same time as Har, Mel and Cad are during winter, which will allow players to swim to this warm island and bring food for their animals.

EDIT: sterilization

At the moment, breeders, unlike other item-making groups, have one problem, and that is the fact that buyer can keep copying their creations.

But if there was an option to sterilize animals before sale, they wouldn't have to worry about it and demand for animals with good traits wouldn't end soon.

Edited by Darnok

54 minutes ago, Darnok said:

In order to breed a better animal, you need to train it properly first, that is, if you breed a horse that has to move quickly, you have to ride it a lot. Then a given horse increases its speed-training-skill and the higher your AH skill, the faster the animal's skill gain.

After breeding a horse with the maximum speed-training-skill value, its offspring have a good chance of getting tier 2 trait speed.

DNA it aint.

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

players have hundreds of animals trapped on their deeds

Can you please post a picture of multiple players having 100's of animals on their deeds?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

Can you please post a picture of multiple players having 100's of animals on their deeds?

Just assume they would be WU screenshots.

Oh wait, WU doesn't get new patches like the AH update, does it?

I guess it must be a mind's eye picture.

24 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Yes.  Read the whole article.  It isn't about training, it's about splicing in multiple copies of a gene with a built in activity inhibitor and then exposing the organism to an environment that destroys the inhibitor in many of the copies and then "discovering" that offspring don't have the inhibitor.

Or don't.  It won't make a difference.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Yes.  Read the whole article.  It isn't about training, it's about splicing in multiple copies of a gene with a built in activity inhibitor and then exposing the organism to an environment that destroys the inhibitor in many of the copies and then "discovering" that offspring don't have the inhibitor.

Or don't.  It won't make a difference.

"The researchers also found that repetitive parts of the normal worm genome that look similar to transgene arrays also behave in the same way, suggesting that this is a widespread memory mechanism and not just restricted to artificially engineered genes."

Genetic memory?

7 minutes ago, Darnok said:

"The researchers also found that repetitive parts of the normal worm genome that look similar to transgene arrays also behave in the same way, suggesting that this is a widespread memory mechanism and not just restricted to artificially engineered genes."

Genetic memory?

No, not a memory, despite journalistic license.  Read what I wrote; it applies to the natural repetitive genes as well.  An inhibiting factor gets removed so therefore no longer exists to be passed down.  

I do notice that it indeed didn't make a difference.

Edited by TheTrickster

4 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

No, not a memory, despite journalistic license.  Read what I wrote; it applies to the natural repetitive genes as well.  An inhibiting factor gets removed so therefore no longer exists to be passed down.  

I do notice that it indeed didn't make a difference.

Guess you are better geneticist than those who made this discovery, and your conclusions are more important than their conclusions 😉

https://cordis.europa.eu/article/id/122740-dna-can-carry-memories-of-traumatic-stress-down-the-generations

1 hour ago, brattygirl said:

You know he does not play the game he spams with pointless suggestions based on non knowledge.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

You know he does not play the game he spams with pointless suggestions based on non knowledge.

I know. but in his other posts he wanted people to post evidence of what they are claiming. Only fair he does the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

an actual troll indeed... quotes invalid mechanics.. and near unfitting changes to existing ones

1 hour ago, brattygirl said:

I know. but in his other posts he wanted people to post evidence of what they are claiming. Only fair he does the same. 

does it matter at this point if he keeps posting nonsense and doesn't play wo/wu at all

2 hours ago, brattygirl said:

Give me ability to fly on Cad, Mel and Har and I will find all 100+ animals deeds for you 🙂

Just now, Darnok said:

Give me ability to fly on Cad, Mel and Har and I will find all 100+ animals deeds for you 🙂

you realize that would require playing the game right??? Just checking. 

• Like 3

add purchasable mounts that never die and cannot be killed in pvp, also could not be bred. 1 trait = 1 silver. so we can buy the horse we can afford with as many traits as we need and dont have to worry about it. Its good for game revenue too. Alternatively, who wants to mess around breeding - can still do that 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

No, it is still the SAME MECHANISM, being described.   

And what was the conclusion drawn from this research? Maybe that Wurm veterans children will like to stare at the wall if you display progress bar in there? 🙂

Edited by Darnok