Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

End the inventory mess

Something annoying me every day is the way how the order of items in my inventory is messed up every time I log in. I have a certain order I prefer, and re-sort every time. Even when I made a mistake and choose one of the sort columns in inventory, the order is rearranged and won't go back.

I would like a default order of inventory items one may choose and store, and retrieve by  right click commands below "Expand all, Collapse all, Toggle imp column", e.g. "Save current item order, Restore item arrangement", maybe also a "/ command".

• Like 8

been requested like 100 times

seems like this is a hard one for the devs, since they never answer on it nor seem they be able to do it

shame

+1 obviously

i always assumed the inventory always jumbling itself was rolfs idea of an antimacro similar to things like how spell list used to be randomised each time lol, should really be fixed

• Like 2

it's about handling of list and sorting/also arrangement of list of item ids... and preserving them locally or remotely on server.. either way.. also tracking for changes and removing things that aren't there... and somehow keeping the order with log-in/out/crash(crashing or unexpected exit like taskkill currently kills profile settingchanges which havent been saved - as normal exit from the game saves settings..)

little things..

--edit

but yea, sure, +1

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

It's that litte annoying thing every time after we start the game. For years.

I remember, that before new UI, there were info that new UI gonna offer such utility (remembering all positions and order in the inventory). Sadly it won't.

• Like 1

it's 1 reason I've asked in some suggestion to have more toolbelt presets... "10saves x10-items saved is not enough"

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

it's 1 reason I've asked in some suggestion to have more toolbelt presets... "10saves x10-items saved is not enough"

5 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

i always assumed the inventory always jumbling itself was rolfs idea of an antimacro similar to things like how spell list used to be randomised each time lol, should really be fixed

Add a leather baldric, which can combine into the creation process of an upgraded toolbelt.

The baldric can be the root object which holds all the data for item order in inventory, and visually extends the toolbelt function to have more slots.

Any deemed-necessary anti-macro functionality can be built into the encryption of the baldric code.

(I have no idea how macros work, so I don't know how anti-macro would work either.)

I'd love to be able to 'pin to top' when I make groups in my inventory. Please!

+1 I've taken to numbering my inventory categories so I can hit "name" for quicker sorting but that doesn't include anything I don't have in a category file. It also means taking the time to number everything.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:38 PM, Drayka said:

I have no idea how macros work, so I don't know how anti-macro would work either.

It might help to think of a macro as a short(ish) recording of keystrokes which is then played when activated.  So, it might activate the inventory tab, move down to the third item and activate it then do something with it.  If the inventory is randomly re-resorted all the time, that macro won't work because whatever was third item down when you recorded it will be somewhere else in the list.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

It might help to think of a macro as a short(ish) recording of keystrokes which is then played when activated.  So, it might activate the inventory tab, move down to the third item and activate it then do something with it.  If the inventory is randomly re-resorted all the time, that macro won't work because whatever was third item down when you recorded it will be somewhere else in the list.  

I'm a bit naive to the workings of macro too and many have just said "it's a program" but this is probably the best explanation I've heard. And now the inventory randomness makes sense.

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

Keystrokes, not point-and-click? I mean, I misclick often enough because I'm not really reading the right-click menu anymore, just estimating where I think the menu item is.

Often, I get Place instead of Open. Because the menus aren't predictable enough for my muscle-memory of move-mouse-and-click.

How many people could drive any vehicle without relying on muscle-memory? Or even walk across a room? Or type a conversation? So the game is constantly assuming we're a bot and trying to trip us up, and if we're too good at it, we're to be purposefully penalised for developing reflexes?

Hmm. So in trying to prevent botting, a piece of computer code becomes hostile to the organic part of everyone, that humans modelled computers after in the first place?

Seems a rather back-to-front way to approach the situation, to me personally. But its not my job to develop security software.