Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

It seems to pick stuff up

I have a bunch of animals with this trait now but haven't seen any random items lying around. Just curious if anyone else has seen anything, and if so what did they find?

• Like 1

From Patch Notes 26 May 2021:

It seems to pick stuff up: Chance to dig something up when eating, drops items on the ground.

[20:42:53] The adolescent fat Goldtari tries to eat the garlic straight out of your pocket, but you catch them just in time!

pretty sure thats the trait but idk why it'd be stopped if thats what its supposed to do, never seen em make any items.

• Like 2

If that

[20:42:53] The adolescent fat Goldtari tries to eat the garlic straight out of your pocket, but you catch them just in time!

is the effect of this

It seems to pick stuff up: Chance to dig something up when eating, drops items on the ground.

then the description is horrible wrong. Should read " try to steal food out of players inventory when hungry" then.

When I read the description from the patchnotes I think in the lines of " digs up things like archeology fragments when grazing".

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 3

I was wondering if the trait was broken. I have several animals with this trait and have yet to see any items dropped to the ground. Haven't noticed them pick pocketing yet either but I do keep them well fed.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

if they turn into shoplifters - to the slaughter list they join!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

idk why it'd be stopped if thats what its supposed to do, never seen em make any items.

Could actually be a useful trait if it didnt stop itself, then it could feed as needed while out riding without having to manually do it yourself

9 hours ago, Bekador said:

When I read the description from the patchnotes I think in the lines of " digs up things like archeology fragments when grazing".

That's what I thought too

Because it's also on the wiki and we all thought it actually dug up stuff from the ground.

So either the description is wrong or it might even dig stuff from the ground but no one has seen it so far (unlikely). 

• Like 1

Thats why I hate the " we are 5 year olds with a secret and wont tell you" mentality of the dev team. We never know whats intended and whats a bug.

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 2

except 5 year olds will tell you anyway they haven't learnt to keep a secret properly yet

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Bekador said:

Thats why I hate the " we are 5 year olds with a secret and wont tell you" mentality of the dev team. We never know whats intended and whats a bug.

It has gotten old to be honest. Wurm's an old game by now, the "having secrets to be explored part" is a line that's stale by now. Info should be clear instead of sparking endless debates and misinformation in chats. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, elentari said:

It has gotten old to be honest. Wurm's an old game by now, the "having secrets to be explored part" is a line that's stale by now. Info should be clear instead of sparking endless debates and misinformation in chats. 

It's more that the mark is missed very often. 

If it impacts mechanics and game choices, it should absolutely be something that's transparent. 

If it's flavour, then it can be exploration based. 

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

If it impacts mechanics and game choices, it should absolutely be something that's transparent. 

Seeing as the AH update impacted pretty much the entire core gameplay since everyone uses animals, I'd say the need for transparency is at an all time high. Erroneous descriptions just add a sour flavour to the game. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Also if the animal does "steal" food from your inventory similar to how a gnome used to steal things, then I'd argue it's a negative trait. What's the "output" logic here? What does it "create" so the output trait can have any meaning? 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

if they turn into shoplifters - to the slaughter list they join!

yup... if they turn out to be just picking stuff from containers.. that's rather bad than good trait, if they eat from saddlebags.. ok.. but that is ONLY if that keeps the horse actually keeping all traits active, else why would I care if the horse is fed.. if traits go on and off constantly.. and it keeps moving at 30% speed for it's traits.. fed or not... *pff* #sense

Edited by Finnn

On 7/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, Batta said:

From Patch Notes 26 May 2021:

There is nothing in this that even suggests they pick pockets. I find most people do NOT like to be misled like this. How many players have bred this trait into their good trait animals believing (by the Wiki) that they literally dig stuff and pick stuff up only to find that it's a negative thief trait?

Well to be fair its one of the traits that you seem to get if you want it or not and id find it a positive thing not negative that it is taking initiative to feed itself :)

Yeah, the same initiative a toddler has to fill his mouth with the cleaning agents under the kitchen sink and as welcome as that too...

7 hours ago, Katrat said:

How many players have bred this trait into their good trait animals believing (by the Wiki) that they literally dig stuff and pick stuff up

Zero, according to the players claiming it is impossible to breed anything into anything. 

It would be interesting to know if you have in fact done that.

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 1

Could it be that the message seen is from a failed action on behalf of the animal, and it does something more if it manages to sneak itself a treat?

And that is why we need clarification. All this speculating leads to nothing.

• Like 1

I tried to leave piles of food for several - nothing

left them to graze - nothing 

left them roaming free to graze - nothing

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I'll afk an alt near one such horse and see if it steals my corn. 

• Like 1

-

Edited by Yserin
no longer playing, Per the mismanagment of AH update