Sign in to follow this  
Stanlee

Stanlee's Epic Adventure - a writeup

Almost every day that I play Wurm Online, I open Niarja. It helps me keep abreast of the news regarding Uniques - which I frequently host public slayings of on Freedom. Every now and then when I open the page, my heart jumps! So many new names!

hoQXZPI.png
Oh. Right. Got got by the list of living uniques. Again.

Often I'd dream of clearing up that list of uniques. Would Niarja delete the category? Would it remain but be empty? But aside from that one on Xanadu after Charcoal died, they're all on Epic. And Epic was PvP. And I don't PvP.

And then one day, something very peculiar happened.

Something that would forever change Stanlee;

Something he would never quite forget.

3399caaf5ad1f4b3c53d6a70fefbba50.png
They took the initiative!

In a spur of the moment move, I decided to take a look at the list of slayers. As soon as I could, I got in touch with Stainless to congratulate him. I reasoned that, with a name so close to mine, he must be the leader. This assumption turned out to be almost entirely correct. After some talking, I gave him an offer he couldn't refuse: I, and whatever friends crazed enough to join me, would come over and lend some peoplepower to clearing up the rest of the uniques on that server. After all, why would they stop at the hatchlings? In return, they got all of the loot. It turned out the loot was not the only incentive to this: the two champion uniques had no tether, and were quite prone to smashing defences, deeds and lost lumberjacks.

1Y7zisv.png

I even did art for this, which I used in the signup sheet for my alliance.

The signup sheet showed more interest than I'd anticipated, and it became quickly clear we'd need to make our own gear. I thought we'd just be shoved in some little shed out in the open, outside a deed for security's sake, but we were invited inside their megafort! Not only was it ridiculously defensive, but it turns out enemies have a pretty severe CR penalty on the home server, meaning we were safer there than on my deed on Release (open design, champ trolls)!

AyFMau3.jpg
Such tall walls!

Luckily, skills move from Freedom to Epic 1:1 (so long as you don't have a 3x death multiplier on that skill on Epic), so I could take all of my skills over.

Oh. Right. All of my skills. I main priest. That'll be a-
Nah kidding, I got to like 70 leatherworking in a day over there. Skillgain is silly fast there, and so are the timers. Within a few days, we had gear that was a strange mix of good and disposable. Good in QL, disposable in how little time it took us to make and imp. In fact, PvP almost felt approachable - disposable gear, no affinities to lose. 
But I don't PvP.

29wKTG9.png
I never thought I'd get this one done!

Before the big day, I got to ride around. See some of the sights. Which I'll share with you now:

D3z26ON.jpg
Collecting some of my teammates
(note: a bug causes empty gear slots to be visually filled with your other cluster's gear when crossing. No effect on gameplay, and no-one else could see my mask)

AsXlF8i.jpg
When's the last time you saw treeless plains?

AbfxjoK.jpg
Beardyman's megadeed. Nothing like it, truly remarkable.

On one fateful Friday, the stars aligned and enough of us were free to begin. Unlike Freedom slaughters that I host, these fights had a rush of mortality to them - though no-one died I think. Scale/hide drops are a set but small amount over there, no randomness to that. Sorcery items don't drop from humanoids or dragons at all.

osB6rqy.jpg
Chaaaarge! Yes, I'm using a shield with a huge axe. No, the shield isn't real, it's from the same bug as earlier.

DhQgvjS.jpg
This boy was biiiiig!

p7cOAfw.jpg
Double Dragon! These two were inseparable, so they died together too. Sweet. Poor guy pictured just about tanked both, serious badassery.

BwnqH3r.png
And when the dust settled, the list had been trimmed significantly.

I cannot thank our hosts enough for helping us try Epic, and guiding us. Despite what I'd frequently read on the forums - that Epic is bad - we had a blast, it was a revitalizing rush from start to finish. Think even a few carebears were eyeing up PvP!

But, if you open Niarja, you can no doubt see that the list is not trimmed enough. To that end, I highly encourage people to get in contact with factions there, and do as I have! It's a real blast, I can't recommend it enough. I might even throw in a little something for someone, at random, who manages to kill one of the remaining living uniques!

Edit: since originally writing this (I wanted to wait for the Creative Constructs thread to close before posting it) it seems others have taken to mopping up the rest of the list! I hope they're having as good a time as I did, and hope to see some of them write about it here if so! The Living Uniques list now stands at a whole SIX (we can't find the one left on Desertion!) and it's going down steadily!

• Like 26

What a fun adventure we had! Can't thank Stainless enough for being an amazing host and allowing us to use his materials/deed, and another thanks to Stanlee for reaching out and planning this whole thing. I look forward to going back in the future to murder even more beasties! 

• Like 2

Hello

Beardyman here. Sadly I cannot make it to this event couse had things in RL at that time. I'am glad you guys liked Epic.

I hope, maybe in future, we could get both way skill transfer, so maybe few people decide to play here.

Meanwhile, we wait...

• Like 2

Longkalsong here. It was truly a blast to have you all over for the great culling. It was a weekend to remember and I hope we can do it again.

If we had both way skill transfer I could come over to see how its done the freedom way.

• Like 1

I’ve been waiting for a group to take down those Epic uniques so I can take that section off Niarja. Getting closer!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, Chakron said:

I’ve been waiting for a group to take down those Epic uniques so I can take that section off Niarja. Getting closer!

Active battle camps on elevation can be removed ;)

On 7/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Stanlee said:

Double Dragon! These two were inseparable, so they died together too. Sweet. Poor guy pictured just about tanked both, serious badassery.

Poor? :)) Hey they call me Logen Nine-Fingers-Six-toes now and damn proud of it! 

Also, the LOFS are what kept us alive :D 

Seriously though, it was a pleasure having you guys on Desertion, the hunt was beautiful and hope we can do it again soon! 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 4

This is awesome Stan! Great story to get people interested in Epic again, even if its not PVP related!

Update: The last one on Desertion, the White Dragon, has finally fallen.

43f3caaf93fccf4e57c4661b5e136cb8.png

Looking at you, Serenity (and looking at y'all to post your stories, because there's definitely been more folks over there!)

• Like 2

i wonder if the white dragon is still stuck in the volcano island after i froze it a path to the center and lava'd it closed