Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Trampling grass in pens

My understanding of the creation of troughs were that animals would stop grazing as long as there was food in the troughs, and/or hay stacks on the ground.

Nevertheless I see not less, but rather more trampling since the catastrophic nerfs and partially working sensible updates.

I don't know whether I can hope for a fix or at least a clarification (haha).

• Like 1

Grazing and trampling is not the same. Player characters also trample grass, I have seen it on my island when there were events.

So maybe that is part of it? The animals eat from the troughs but they also trample.

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 1

So far, the mechanics in pens have been that animals graze, thus lowering the grass height. Once it dropped to cut short, there at least is an increased chance that they trample at the next grazing on that tile - to my observation an at least 60% chance. Animals not saddled (or now "stationary") would choose to proceed to tiles with higher grass for grazing. With troughs, they shouldn't graze at all anymore.

I never saw players trample grass. Maybe their mounts.

walking over the tile causes it

remember xanadu gm maze... we dumpstered the yard area there turning the grass to (packed )dirt and 'annoying' some gms that even though all actions were disabled in the area, we could trash the looks of the place with at least that #havoc😄🙃

I have two champ dogs in a 4x2 pen. They've been there for the full year plus I've been at this deed. Now they have packed all the grass. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I have two champ dogs in a 4x2 pen. They've been there for the full year plus I've been at this deed. Now they have packed all the grass. 

Do you have pet bowl in 1 corner of the pen? (moving back and forth for every hunger tick might be the cause)

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

would be an explanation. Troughs may cause more frequent crossing of tiles.

whats been annoying is the enchanted grass in my 2x2's with 1 or 2 fat horses on it pack grass more regularly then my larger enchant pen that has a ton of non fat foals and calves in it. traffic alone should pack that one more often.

the worst was right after the patch. everything was getting stomped. now mostly see it after a restart.

Edited by Yserin

On 7/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, Finnn said:

Do you have pet bowl in 1 corner of the pen? (moving back and forth for every hunger tick might be the cause)

There is a bowl on every tile. Has been since they trampled the first tile.

I have NO food bowls or troughs or hitching posts in my enchanted grass 2x1 enclosures and I only see trampled enchanted grass about once every six RL months.

32 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

There is a bowl on every tile. Has been since they trampled the first tile.

depends how the algorithm works, if it checks for nearest tile or any tile in the fenced area

if you feel like testing, observe, test..

else open bug report and see if it's intended or something will be patched for the packing of tiles