Sign in to follow this  
Drogos

[Resolved] Gaining skills

Since last update, I have seen two (so far) weird bugs related to skill gains and reporting.

* Getting two skill ticks from single meditation (one very low, and one normal), at least in the "Skills" tab.

* Skills window, and Skill tracker both lit up green now and then, but unsure if skill is given. No mentions of skill gains in "Skills" tab (yes, I have always report on).

Edited by Drogos
  • Like 1

Apart from meditating, what where you doing when this happened? And what skills were (possibly) affected?

I have not tested too much. At this very moment, I am prospecting. And some of the actions give green visual feedback + skill tick in skill window + I can see the skill increase. Normally at least once a minute. Other times, actions give green visual feedback, but nothing in skill window, and I can not see the skill go up either. This can last for like 10 minutes, before I start to gain skill again. Not sure if it is related to time, or tile. Regardless, it is different from before. (I swap tile to prospect about once every 10 minutes, so if it is some tiles that do not give bug, or if it is so positions, or time intervalls, I do not know).

how high are your skills, it's NORMAL at high skill level to get green flashes and nothing in the log(as the skill tick is lower than what shows in the log)

meditation had an event to give such 2x skilltick, if you do get this every time you meditate - something's wrong (or you should try the lottery)

7 minutes ago, Finnn said:

as the skill tick is lower than what shows in the log

I have not noticed this being the case before, when I have set the setting to show all skill gains. Is this new?

7 minutes ago, Finnn said:

meditation had an event to give such 2x skilltick

Oh, I did not know, yeah, maybe that explains it.

Edited by Drogos

Actually, I notice now, that when I am aware of this, I gain skills crazy much quicker than before. So maybe this is not new since last update at all. Could it be that this is the anti botting mechanism maybe? Like, it thinks I have not moved, so I will not gain actual skills before moving, but it still flashes as I was getting skilltick? If so, it might actually be a "feature" to be able to know if the game thinks you need to move to gain skill again.

Yep, tested to just stand in one place longer than 10 mins, and for sure, at some point I stopped getting skills (as predicted). The skill still blinks green (not as predicted, but might not be a bug still, and if it is, it is actually a nice feature when know about it). Moved one tile over, still no skill, but skill kept blinking. Moved yet another tile over, and started to get skill again!

So, yeah, not sure if this is bug or not. But if it is, please do not fix it! Turned out to be a pretty nice feature also (once aware of it)!

yeah that's just part of prospecting, skillgain stops randomly if you don't tap w every now and again

Moved to CA for now. Can be moved back to bugs if it turns out to be one

he should probably mention what and how he's doing it, also at what level it is, maybe post some logs

no idea if what is happening on the other end, atm I'm still not playing - cant test anything(away for another week)

56 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

yeah that's just part of prospecting, skillgain stops randomly if you don't tap w every now and again

Problem was, that tapping w is not enough. Sometimes even had to move two tiles over for it to actually start giving skill again. That, and that the skill tracker, still blinks green (as if skill was gained) even when there was no skill gain.

I will mark topic as resolved. If this is a bug, then a more refined bug report would be better anyways. Thanks for the feedback, this this was just a "player does not know all the aspects of game source code yet" kind of situations.