Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Surface Mining Rewards

Most people dread doing surface mining (not me!).  It is slow work and most of the time, just inspires people to throw dirt on the project to get it done quicker.  I've been spending hundreds of hours digging up old dirt that was tossed on a mountain and surface mining the mountain to fit my new plans.  What is very apparent is the one missing element from surface mining work:

- No Rewards!

I have about 30 emeralds (not a single bone in my life yet!) from digging the dirt, but after a good 10k rock shards, I just have arthritis and worn down picks.  So my suggestion is to add some kind of a reward to surface mining.  NOT an awesome reward.  We don't want people SMing the server under water and eliminating any chance to make a cave or mine ores again, but it sure would be fun to have some small reward/s drop in inventory from time to time.  Source and gems?  Metal Lumps (not moon)?

Just a thought and probably not too difficult to add.

• Like 5

+1 Surface miners are miners too. They should get SC and gems alike. Also I am for a bone chance for all miners, not just diggers.

• Like 2

rng chance to get random normal metal shard instead of rock?

that will incentivize noobs and random people to poke a few actions to tickle the gambling rng gods for a roll to get a lump or 2 of the metal they randomly need, it's like that quote says:

ytm4k22xtf131.jpg

--edit

I'm ok with instead.. normal gem rng chance for mining, and if the tile is source crystal source to give such at normal rate chance?(with or w/o limit to crystal gain per tile)

if it's not already a thing.. sounds reasonable to be..

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

Also would be nice if there was a chance for mission items like with digging.

• Like 1

Would be nice to have a something other than the occasional rare to sac. +1 

• Like 1

It seems fair that a rock shard produced by surface mining should have the same chance of being accompanied by a gem, or source crystal, as a rock shard produced by mining underground. 

• Like 1

As a person who likes surface mining better than tunneling (I like being outdoors in this game a whole lot better than being in a claustrophobic cave) I have to give this idea a big thumbs up.

• Like 1

I have a moat in the back of my deed that would benefit greatly from increased SM rewards!

+1

• Like 1

Couldn't this mostly be solved simply by changing the sequence of events, making drops not dependant upon the success/failure to produce a rock-shard?

You start your action, you get the same roll for drops as for digging:

[XX:XX:XX] You find an emerald!

[XX:XX:XX] You chip away at the rock.

If you get a rare roll, maybe you get a pseudo-Rummage roll.

[XX:XX:XX] You have a moment of inspiration...

[XX:XX:XX] You find a rock!

[XX:XX:XX] You mine some stone shards.

Result: rare (rummaged) iron rock, normal (mined) stone shards, on successful action.

• Like 1

will be an upgrade.. as you do not get stuff every action.. it's possible to get inspiration on action where you do not get a shard.. there you just miss to get a gem or shard, rare or not.

Just tested - I thought surface mining might disturb the ground and wipe-out the ability to Rummage.

As it is not, I would my revise my comment to: Overrule a surface mining action with a Rummage action on Rare Roll, and if you find nothing, you don't get a rare.

This is just a possible mechanic to bring digging and surface-mining to be near-equivalent in rewards.

26 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Just tested - I thought surface mining might disturb the ground and wipe-out the ability to Rummage.

As it is not, I would my revise my comment to: Overrule a surface mining action with a Rummage action on Rare Roll, and if you find nothing, you don't get a rare.

This is just a possible mechanic to bring digging and surface-mining to be near-equivalent in rewards.

YES.. and my thought was.. while poking around this code.. inspiration could be buffed for these cases to give something back, it's not that common and getting nothing for inspiration-action sucks.. (lets not talk about farming...)

Giving gems for every is op obviously with big projects.. but normal rare* shard every inspiration with or without modifying the corner height will be a good update.. gems.. as suggested above will be good to also roll at whatever rule and chance.. just to be added as possible loot will be an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

YES.. and my thought was.. while poking around this code.. inspiration could be buffed for these cases to give something back, it's not that common and getting nothing for inspiration-action sucks.. (lets not talk about farming...)

Giving gems for every is op obviously with big projects.. but normal rare* shard every inspiration with or without modifying the corner height will be a good update.. gems.. as suggested above will be good to also roll at whatever rule and chance.. just to be added as possible loot will be an upgrade. 

Ah, that's what you meant before. (I thought you meant it was overpowered to always get a rare.)

Okay, guarantee at least a rare rockshard/ironrock/flint for rare roll when surface mining, regardless of whether you fail to reduce the slope. :)