Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

EVE is really text-based - what other 21st Century games are?

I dabble a bit with EVE.  Mostly it is when I am unwell and want something that doesn't need constant attention.

It has struck me more than once that despite the slick graphics, EVE is actually text-based.  The vast majority of activity can be managed via the texts in various windows.  The graphics, as polished as they may be, are not actually necessary to the gameplay at all.  

I pondered if this was also true of Wurm, and although there is a bit of this (i.e. inventory, containers, forges/ovens/kilns etc) there is still very much a need to move around and see objects in order to interact with them.  There is no list of all local objects with which I can interact - like there is with EVE.  I would put Wurm in a "hybrid" category, in that the graphics are essential to initiating action, but once items are "opened" the actions can be largely base on text.  

It makes me wonder how many other "strategic" games - i.e. the long games rather than things like first person shooters - are more or less transparently text-based.

Edited by TheTrickster

eve is 2003 wurm is 2006

these games arent modern

It is 2021 and they are currently in production.  But, if we want to split hairs....  

EvE is a dumpster fire that deserves to die a suitable death.  If it is actually text based (I have no idea), it would easily explain why it is a bot filled mess.  

I think parts of EvE could be called text based but a lot of combat, especially pvp and high level pve revolves around positioning and coordination. Honestly it does a reasonably good job of the pick target and shoot every x seconds to make you feel involved in combat.

I never really thought about this but you're right, Eve is very text-based.

One exception within Eve that I can think of (besides some combat) is Exploration/Hacking/Whatever the last one is called, where you have to navigate to a specific spot in space and then solve a visual mini-game to "win" some loot. Which, surprise, is a relatively "new" feature compared to Eve's original development.

I agree that Wurm is in that kind of "Hybrid" category but I'd say that it leans quite heavily on the text side of things. At least for me, animations often don't play but I can see what's happening in the Events console window. I actually really like the text-based aspect because it reminds me of the MUDs I used to play. I also like it because I can read it whenever, contributing to Wurm's laid back-ness. At least for me, I play Wurm super casually and am sometimes logged in while I'm doing something else in real-life. I like that I don't have to be monitoring animations in real-time. At least most of the time! (he says as he gets bashed by a troll)

Sorry to revive the old thread but it drew my interest and wanted to chime in :)

Edited by Purloin
Fix formatting
  • Like 3