Sign in to follow this  
keoki

Runes Effects Confusion

I'm a bit confused on the effects of runes. Aren't all effects for runes supposed to be a positive effect? 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Runes

Confusion #1:

From the above wurmpedia page on Runes, it states that "Runes that increase volume will allow the affected container to hold more of items that already fit."

So, what about the runes with an effect of "10% less volume"? Why would decreasing the volume of a container to hold less items be a good effect? Or is this effect to reduce the volume of the item/container itself and not how much it can hold?

What I'm trying to do is trying to get a Wagon to hold more Crates. So, I can use the Increase Volume on the wagon, but what do I use on the Large Crates so I can fit even more into the wagon? Do I use the "10% less volume" or "10% reduced size", in which the volume of the large crate uses the size to calculate volume.

Confusion #2:

"10% increased rarity".

If I attach a rune with this effect on an item, for example a tool, will this tool then have increased 10% rarity change when I use it to improve items? Basically, will the items I'm improving with this runed tool have better chances to become rare?

Or,

Is the increased rarity for that item that the rune is attached to only? If that is the case, then do I attach it to an item I want to become rare, improve the item and hope that it becomes rare eventually, and when it does, remove the rune and attach to another item that I want to rarify?

Edited by keoki
grammar

- volume on an item means it takes up less volume inside the container, so like if you could fit 10 normal ones, you could fit 11 -10% volume ones. volume is calculated by size, so a -10% size rune reduces the volume by 27%, i'm not sure if that effects crates storage since they go off item count instead of volume but you could try that, they removed runing bsbs/fsbs some years ago but dunno about crates.

10% increased rarity goes on the item being imped.

27 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

10% increased rarity goes on the item being imped.

Thank you for the response.

Also, just to be 100% clear on this one, if I have a runed carving knife with effect of 10% increased rarity, the items being imped, such as rope tools, will have the 10% increase in rarity. Is that correct. Just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly. 

Also, if I attach the 10% increased rarity rune to a large anvil, then items I'm creating will have an increased chance of rarity?

if the carving knife is runed, the knife itself would have a higher chance to be imped rare, it wouldn't increase the chance of imping wooden items rare. you would have to put a rune on the rope tool for it to have an increased chance of going rare. doesn't effect creation at all.

58 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if the carving knife is runed, the knife itself would have a higher chance to be imped rare, it wouldn't increase the chance of imping wooden items rare. you would have to put a rune on the rope tool for it to have an increased chance of going rare. doesn't effect creation at all.

Got it. Thanks!