Recommended Posts

I don't know if it's just me, but I've always thought it odd to have animals with saddles pulling carts, wagons etc. If you want the fastest speeds you need to have the full gear of shoes and saddles of the highest ql and ideally with WOA enchants. For a while now I've thought it would be a good idea to have harnesses instead of saddles for animals pulling vehicles. Something like this:

 

s-l1000.jpg

 

It makes more sense than saddles! The harnesses would be made by leatherworkers, and would offer similar speed bonuses to saddles on hitched animals. WOA could of course be cast for an extra boost. It would be good if they could be applied to bison as well as horses and mules, giving them some useful gear at last.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 This would be great to have. Not only for it's use but for looks as well. And I believe Saddles do not effect the speed of a wagon, only the speed of you riding the horse. So having an object in the game that can help speed up your wagon or cart would be super useful!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 Definitely.

 

Draft gear could work a little differently to saddles that way. Different way of calculating boosts.

What about bison though?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fine suggestion :) Big +1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

+1

 

 

Edited by Yserin
no longer playing, Per the mismanagment of AH update
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 However I would want an option to use my colorful bardings with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus one. This would be very pretty, and maybe a more complex version of the bridle really (saddles have no effect on animals hitched to vehicles btw).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, olafhairybreeks said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I've always thought it odd to have animals with saddles pulling carts, wagons etc. If you want the fastest speeds you need to have the full gear of shoes and saddles of the highest ql and ideally with WOA enchants. For a while now I've thought it would be a good idea to have harnesses instead of saddles for animals pulling vehicles. Something like this:

 

s-l1000.jpg

 

It makes more sense than saddles! The harnesses would be made by leatherworkers, and would offer similar speed bonuses to saddles on hitched animals. WOA could of course be cast for an extra boost. It would be good if they could be applied to bison as well as horses and mules, giving them some useful gear at last.

you DON'T need saddles when you have the animal hitched to a cart/wagon or other vehicle.. saddle does nothing, it's a bonus that stops the animal from running away if you unhitch 1 or more in the middle of nowhere or on your deed.. saddle does nothing for the speed of the horse when it's hitched.. if anything weight of it, could have been a downside if that is a thing at all... but when you move at 20-40 speed cart with normal - hell horses.. does it matter if you lose 0.something the difference between the animals normal and hell horse have significant speed gap almost 1x to 1.5-2x.. think about that problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Tilda said:

Plus one. This would be very pretty, and maybe a more complex version of the bridle really (saddles have no effect on animals hitched to vehicles btw).

 

I myself, meant the way spelled saddles currently boost specifically riding horses - which is pre-programmed. This harness would allow gear boosts specifically for hitched draft animals, and may impede any attempts to ride them. Though personally, I'm in favour of a draft-gear postern (commander's seat) saddle, which would tie-in to donkeys being able to be hitched to small carts.

 

 

Edited by Drayka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1

 

I would say you can maybe even repurpose the Large Saddle currently in the game to work on draft dominant animals (draft horses/hell horses, bison, mules)? I'm not sure what would be the more time consuming part of adding gear boosts (creating the asset or the coding) but I'm praying for anything to help speed up wagons/carts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

relatively 0 work to do.. just code in to show same old normal saddle, but when equipping to accept and use only large one..

as long both models are with identical looks.. nothing extra to do.. while you create separation with the 2 items and their use for speed/draft traits.. but what will be the use and benefit of adding large saddle on draft creature(besides not moving..), why should it be done if it's already a thing with horses and normal saddles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, Finnn said:

relatively 0 work to do.. just code in to show same old normal saddle, but when equipping to accept and use only large one..

as long both models are with identical looks.. nothing extra to do.. while you create separation with the 2 items and their use for speed/draft traits.. but what will be the use and benefit of adding large saddle on draft creature(besides not moving..), why should it be done if it's already a thing with horses and normal saddles?

 

I'd take that. I'd take it even if it meant standing on top of the large-saddle equipped horse, to cut down on graphic/coding time to implementation.

 

Specific boosts available would down to dev discretion obviously, as they are actually familiar with the new AH code, and whatever guidelines they are using to try to balance the new traits for different utilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically speaking I think what we're looking at is reduced slowdown as the load increases. But that's not a bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that draft harness specifically could conceivably be about reducing the speed penalty of travelling uphill.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now