Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's gameplay and UX suggestions

27 minutes ago, Darnok said:

You first and read the whole description of the idea from the beginning.

I did.

I also play enough to be a well known mason and stonecutter, its kinda my profession in Wurm, kinda the gameplay I chose. 

• Like 1

I did a simple experiment... I created 2 new characters CharOne and CharTwo spawned in Sonata. Both using mining on same tile.

CharOne using 1 action only, wait until stamina regen and again 1 action... after 6 actions

mFj93vw.png

CharTwo is using 2 actions per queue, wait until stamina regen and again 2 action also 6 mining actions

N5HRnfT.png

Wurm gives a bigger reward to the player who will play with multiple characters and after filling action queue of one character, will switch to the other character and do the same.

It is fine, this is the design of the game, I do understand that, but in order for the game to be user-friendly, the game client should allow average player to manage several characters at the same time, for example, as Baldurs Gate/Ice Wind Dale done this, which is by displaying character portraits in panel on the left, on the right side of the screen and when one character is busy performing the requested actions, the player may switch to another character. Wurm could do this for characters that were created only on same account.

In my opinion with actions taking this long as they are in WO, 3-4 characters should give average player enough things to do at each stage of the game and would not be too difficult to manage at same time. Alternatively, you can do so that player can add more characters as the game progresses or when he buys larger premium pack.

Edited by Darnok

-1. This honestly isnt really needed as yu can alt tab and manage the other client just like that. Or you can Go ahead and try to fit both clients on the screen at one time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gawain said:

-1. This honestly isnt really needed as yu can alt tab and manage the other client just like that. Or you can Go ahead and try to fit both clients on the screen at one time

I can't do that on Steam and even if I could... running 3-4x Wurm would use so much memory and CPU my laptop couldn't handle that, while with proper client memory and CPU usage would be a lot lower since most part of the game would be shared and loaded only once.

you can actually, just force stop steam, relaunch steam and start Wurm back up. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't this involve a large rework of the auth/character/account system and the client ontop of that. I'd love for the launcher to work more like eve's where you can lauch multiiple accounts without restarting the launcher but as someone who does run many accounts I'd not use multiple accounts in 1 window.

12 minutes ago, Darnok said:

while with proper client memory and CPU usage would be a lot lower since most part of the game would be shared and loaded only once.

most of wurms performance issues/stuttering come from memory leaks and horribly implemented character rendering causing crashes/desyncing with multiple people in local, putting multiple characters rendering from multiple places and rapidly increasing the amount of things rendered if you have the accounts in seperate areas ain't gonna suddenly improve it

A technical nightmare.

Changing the way payments are processed and stored for premium would have to be done for one thing.

Bigger issue is switching between the characters. Imagine having 4 toons logged in and swapping between them, camera position has to be updated and world redrawn each time you switch a character. Often my alts are on few different servers too.

With multiple clients loaded, each of them is constantly rendering the view and the operating system is handling the toggling between already open and rendered game windows (granted, this is resource heavy but it's up to each player to decide how many clients their PC can handle before we don't want to open another client).

If i load up one client with 4+ toons, each in a different place on the map (or not, it makes no difference because the camera would have to detach from one and redraw everything the other one sees every time i switch toons, even if they are on the same tile), on every switch of the toon, you would see the effect similar to crossing server border or portal or being summoned. Having multiple clients open doesn't have that problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lethyria said:

Wouldn't this involve a large rework of the auth/character/account system and the client ontop of that. I'd love for the launcher to work more like eve's where you can lauch multiiple accounts without restarting the launcher but as someone who does run many accounts I'd not use multiple accounts in 1 window.

Perhaps it would, but this is just a proposition that, in my opinion, would make the game more attractive for an average player.
I perceive Wurm in way that the server was designed and balanced for a game that allows you to manage a party (several characters at once), but the client is designed to manage single character and that makes problems, because player playing single character cannot effectively use the time spent in the game, each action seems too long and therefore the reception of the game is negative (for me of course others may have different opinions).

I used to suggest changing the duration of the action to make the game feel more dynamic, but many people said that it would be wrong.
Recently, I suggested adding a lot of mini-games to promote average player who plays single character and pays full attention to him.

And now, as an alternative, I am writing that if the server and game balance cannot be changed, in my opinion you can improve the client and give player more activities by allowing several characters to be played at the same time.

I mean old players can't criticize all 3 suggestions, one must be good for you guys, which one is it?

Edited by Darnok

NONSENSE

you start playing, you're bad at everything, you improve your skill, and you get better..

the 20sec mining at 1st action turns into MANY actions at 2.7 seconds for casuals and below that if you need the extreme...

endgame already lets you mine 1000 or more shards from rock tiles or veins per hour... botting macro request is a bit too much to request for premiums or not..

this is already solved with gear and skill

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

NONSENSE

you start playing, you're bad at everything, you improve your skill, and you get better..

the 20sec mining at 1st action turns into MANY actions at 2.7 seconds for casuals and below that if you need the extreme...

endgame already lets you mine 1000 or more shards from rock tiles or veins per hour... botting macro request is a bit too much to request for premiums or not..

this is already solved with gear and skill

Most of the average players consider actions of 20-15 seconds to be nonsense and give up playing.

IF you think that the game client should remain as it is now, that means 1 started game = 1 character, for the game to be attractive to new players, it should be the other way around.

New character should have an action length of 3-5 seconds, they only make low ql items and extracts low ql resources, so no problem for this.
But the higher the ql of resources or the higher the ql of the items created, the longer the action time should be, longer time = better higher ql reward.

And the first action in the queue should give the most skill gain, and each subsequent action in queue less and less skill gain, player paying attention is rewarded while people playing on few characters at once should be punished by game in a way that game slows them down.

Better items (higher ql) could still make actions shorter, because skill gain would also be reversed, that means the shorter action the more skill gain you earn.

Therefore, an advanced player with high level character would want to have high quality tools, because they would not only speed up his slow actions and make him work faster on high ql resources or items, but also higher ql tools (and shorter actions) would give him larger skill gain.

Same reason why new players would want high ql items, because for them it would also mean faster level up.

Edited by Darnok

Let's say you're right, and you've proved, at least to your satisfaction, that Wurm rewards a thing called 'patience' from minute-1 of gameplay.

How would a new player be served well, to be misled into thinking that 'impatient', intensive play, is going to be the winning meta for them?

How would the playerbase who have been taught that 'patience' will be rewarded, and SURVIVED rather than walk away in disgust for a faster-paced, 'more exciting' game, react to a suggestion that their gameworld would be a better place if doing 10+ actions a second was not only possible, but rewarded and promoted as the 'proper' way to play the game? (Hint: Feedback on your topics to date should provide an adequate pool of data to draw conclusions from.)

Because I think a newbie misled to think that Wurm does not require patience, would have more reason to complain than someone who walks away after 1 day of 'disappointing play'.

And it is also my opinion, that established players, will simply wait for you to either learn patience, as they did, or patiently wait for you to leave as impatience will not be rewarded.

Speaking in generalisations, of course.

some allow auto botting.. like right click follow or assist.. as long you can run x clients.. you just login alts to demolish targets and play solo 

Google is your friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjVo3uViaM8

Isometric view gives more options to switch between characters, but in Wurm I think that 3rd person view from one of characters would be enough for many things. If the action time would be visible next to the character portrait and the combat panel as well, you could even fight 3vsNPC on single client by giving orders to other two characters without switching characters (combat is just mini-game with few buttons and NPC are not moving at all).
Moving around would require switching to a given character, but crafting or improving items could be solved same way as combat by some mini-game-panel. It would be enough to click on the panel next to the portrait and select "create/continue" to repeat last action or select the appropriate tool from tool belt of given character, which could also expand after hovering over the portrait or some tool belt icon and you can do imp with 2 characters at the same time, and the third one, for example, explore the area.

I have not written anything about merging accounts, only about logging several characters from one account at the same time. Premium could even remain as it is today, for example you could login and play 3 characters at the same time, but there would be more on your account and the character you would like to leave for while would not have paid premium.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

3 hours ago, Drayka said:

Let's say you're right, and you've proved, at least to your satisfaction, that Wurm rewards a thing called 'patience' from minute-1 of gameplay.

How would a new player be served well, to be misled into thinking that 'impatient', intensive play, is going to be the winning meta for them?

How would the playerbase who have been taught that 'patience' will be rewarded, and SURVIVED rather than walk away in disgust for a faster-paced, 'more exciting' game, react to a suggestion that their gameworld would be a better place if doing 10+ actions a second was not only possible, but rewarded and promoted as the 'proper' way to play the game? (Hint: Feedback on your topics to date should provide an adequate pool of data to draw conclusions from.)

Because I think a newbie misled to think that Wurm does not require patience, would have more reason to complain than someone who walks away after 1 day of 'disappointing play'.

And it is also my opinion, that established players, will simply wait for you to either learn patience, as they did, or patiently wait for you to leave as impatience will not be rewarded.

Speaking in generalisations, of course.

If a new player have to learn patience, then ok let him learn it, but slowly, not by shooting in the face 20 seconds long action right after creating a character.

It seems to me that Wurm is trying to reinvent the wheel and after all these years the wheel is still not round. Why not use a proven method from other RPGs? The higher the level of the item, the harder/longer it needs to be crafted, but completing it gives you more exp points. Low level character extracting 20ql ore should do this faster than high level character extracting, late game resource, 80ql ore. In Wurm it is the opposite and you wonder why it is not working 🙂

(again I am writing suggestion about changing server and game balance as alternative to multi-character client)

Edited by Darnok

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

If a new player have to learn patience, then ok let him learn it, but slowly, not by shooting in the face 20 seconds long action right after creating a character.

It seems to me that Wurm is trying to reinvent the wheel and after all these years the wheel is still not round. Why not use a proven method from other RPGs? The higher the level of the item, the harder/longer it needs to be crafted, but completing it gives you more exp points. Low level character extracting 20ql ore should do this faster than high level character extracting, late game resource, 80ql ore. In Wurm it is the opposite and you wonder why it is not working 🙂

(again I am writing suggestion about changing server and game balance as alternative to multi-character client)

At this point, I would have to agree that you simply have not played this game long enough to appreciate that new character skillgain is REALLY FAST compared to even the mid-game, let alone the late-game pace.

So, if you bought a first-person-shooter, would you expect the game to refuse to give you access to a gun of any description for the first 3 weeks of active gameplay, because they wouldn't want to shock you with the idea that you're expected to shoot things with a weapon, and they obviously need to cushion new players from cultural trauma; or would you expect to either spawn with one in your hand or acquire one within 5 minutes maximum of loading the game up?

Hands up anyone who thinks a popular FPS game would be made better by giving you a clipboard and requiring you to count stock in a warehouse for the first 500 game hours before you're allowed to even see a weapon in-game.

• Like 1

A small correction to my previous post, it would also be possible to move several characters at once without switching character, after all, there are ships, wagons and carts. And if that's not enough, pet has the option to move to tile indicated by player, so player could also give similar commands to several characters in party.

Edited by Darnok

A note for everyone: you don't have to agree with suggestions or comments, but you should maintain a respectful attitude when doing so - attack the idea, not the person.  If you are unable to do that, don't post.  The suggestions forum is open to everyone, within the standard forum rules.

Pandalet (LFM)

• Like 4

Desert

Meteor that falls into the desert should, in addition to the meteor itself, also create pieces of glass scattered around a few tiles.

Player in the forge using a cauldron could melt glass and make glass containers (for example, vials for an alchemist).

Scorpions (normal, hell), spiders (normal, fog and lava) could drop various substances that can only be stored in glass containers, regardless of whether player would extract substance directly as loot, or animal would drop a gland holding substance and player would have to use a press to squeeze out liquid and put it in vials.

These substances would not be dropped always, but only during appropriate season, it may be a different season for each animal.

In the case of normal scorpions and fog spiders, drop could be poison.

Hell scorpions would drop acid.

Lava spiders would drop napalm or burning acid(?) or anything else that makes them what they are.

Normal spiders would have drop liquid substance that they are using for making webs.

Oils for weapons

There are different spells that give different types of damage to weapons, but it would also be interesting if crafters could create oils from poisons, acids, etc. could temporarily increase weapon damage.

Oil works for 5-30 minutes (depending on ql) and deals additional damage (damage also depends on ql of oil).

Tundra

Add arctic hare and rock oil seeps. During full moon herb can be found that will instantly cure animal's disease.

Rock oil - In the middle of summer, oil seeps (something like a source spring) will appear randomly in the tundra.

If a meteor hits a tundra biome, rock oil seeps form around it, allowing a small amount of fluid to be gathered.

Arctic hare - it's just a small NPC, non-aggressive, it can be bred, but it is hard to catch, because when player comes closer hare runs away and it's spawns only during winters.

Traps would be useful (net and rope) are already in the game, in the case of a hare they would slow it down.

Hare would always run in the opposite direction to the one from which the player came and if player is on horse hare would run in zigzag faster than fastest horse.

If it is bred by a player, it must be moved to a cave during summer, in the hot summer air it will die outside.

Drop - white fur, white pelt and some meat.

Extend production line for metal items

At the moment metal items in general quite privileged, because every other crafting branch requires metal or metal tools, while player creating metal items is practically self-sufficient.

I would suggest modifying it a bit and looking from pure factorio-point-of-view extend production line a bit for metal items by making additional requirements.

Chain armor should require strips of leather for creation, it's model even have some leather parts visible.

Plate it's the best (normal) armor in the game, so in my opinion it should be a bit more difficult to craft, it should also require strips of leather (that would hold it tight so that armor would stick to the body), it could also require a small piece of armor chains (around 7:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-eeJUcO5M ). The idea is that the best armor in the game should be made as the last armor, not on alongside with weaker armors.

Same for shields both wooden and metal should require strips of leather for creation.

Long swords, one-handed axes and mauls and two-handed swords, axes and mauls have leather wrapped on the hilt and handles, so these items should also require strips of leather for creation (but in such a form that an ordinary wooden handle or shaft is first wrapped with a strip of leather and then normally attached to the weapon).

Hides should be dried first (outside), before processing them into leather (as in the case of hay, rain can destroy them during that process).

Improvement system

As previously suggested, in my opinion, each branch that creates items should have a certain seasonal ingredient that makes it difficult to upgrade items above a certain level, now I will post little more details.

Up to quality level 40 improvement remains unchanged. Above 40, item requires a seasonal ingredient during improvement, and above 80 it should be even more difficult.

Cloth tailoring

- 40+ ql the seasonal ingredient already is part of this branch and is called winter.

- 80+ ql you need a liquid looted from normal spiders and cloth ql must be higher than the ql of the upgraded item.

Leatherworking

- 40+ ql above this level, beeswax is additionally required for upgrading leather items. Beeswax ql determines success change of an action, so can be lower than ql of item.

- 80+ ql at this level quality of leather and beeswax must be higher than quality of item that is improved.

Pottery

- 40+ in winter clay tiles are frozen and cannot be excavated

- 80+ pottery wheel - (working station and container at same time) in which we place clay items and only there we can upgrade them above this level. Pottery wheel is made of stone wheel, shaft and few planks, requires stone and masonry for upgrade.

Quality of pottery wheel must be higher than ql of upgraded clay items.

Wooden items (tools, staves, spears, shields, vehicles, ships, containers etc)

- 40+ ql all wooden items additionally require olive oil (action similar to temper).

- 80+ ql Starting from this level to further improve wooden items require the kind of wood they were made of.

Additionally log needs to be soaked in olive oil instead of usual log made in 60 seconds from tree. Soaking of logs takes 24 hours and you need to put high ql log in container with high ql olive oil.

Quality of soaked log is average of log ql and olive oil ql, that means if you put both ingredients with 100 ql, you have 100 ql soaked log after 24 hours, but 100 ql log and 50 ql olive oil will give only 75 ql soaked log.

There are large containers in the game that could allow this to process to be made, although I haven't checked does these containers allow you to put liquid and an item inside at same time.

At this level pelt used for improving must also be higher ql than the ql of upgraded item (unless it is a white pelt).

Metal items (tools, weapons, armors, shields):

- Quality level 40+ all metal items additionally require rock oil to improve quality above 40 (action similar to temper, that means we are using liquid from container on improved item).

Quality of the oil may be lower than ql of the item being upgraded, as it only determines success chance of an action.

- 80+ ql All items that required leather during creation will also additionally require leather during improvement. All other metal tools and weapons that required a wooden elements during creation to be upgraded at this level require wood.

Quality of leather and wood must be higher that quality of improved item.

At this level pelt used for improving must also be higher ql than the ql of upgraded item (unless it is a white pelt).

(I know you hate me, but metal armors and weapons, two-handed weapons in particular are the strongest items in the game, that is why late game quality should require high quality materials from other branches not just high ql metal vein)

Have I missed someone? 😉

Edited by Darnok

4 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Have I missed someone?

You missed the fact, that spamming suggestions so frequently, will just make them vanish faster from everyone's memory.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

You missed the fact, that spamming suggestions so frequently, will just make them vanish faster from everyone's memory.

Sorry, but I have few days when I can be so active, so I am using them to write down my ideas, if you call it spamming fine, but I hope it will help a little to develop Wurm in direction in my opinion would be better.

I like the suggestions for making deserts and tundra more interesting with the rabbit npc too. To bring some more interactivity to wurm. 

Also, why are people always calling you a troll when you are actually coming up with new detailed suggestions all of the time?    I think it is because there is a certain idea of what wurm is. 

Wurm is more so a afk/semi afk game with lots of timers and grinding.

Players call that "being rewarded for having patience" 

I call it, zoning out watching YouTube videos to pass the time while clicking the mouse/keyboard now and again. 

Though your ideas can bring more management and things to do but the way that wurm is set up, with timers and looped animations and even the game engine itself, does not really work that well with more interactive stuff.

I would not like your suggestions for item improvement or for the freezing of clay in the winter.. Etc.

I get fed up enough as it is doing certain tasks, let alone adding more micro management to the mix. 

The main problem is that bringing more interactive features to wurm like mini games for example will not go down well because wurm's genre is afk timers/grind.  Why do you think people do not like the fishing system or even do not take much interest in the checkers mini game?   Because they are the odd ones out in a world that is based around timers.  And zoning out at your computer screen. 

You would need to remove timers and make more of the wurm game interactive to change the whole of the game mechanics to make people want and crave even more interactive elements.  Because then interactive elements are the main foundation of the game.  

Yet again I gotta give you a -1 on your suggestions. You say you spend what little free time you have in writing down ideas, yet you've said repeatedly that you don't even play the game. I'd suggest you spend more time playing the game, and less time spamming this forum with suggestions that are no one except you think are worthwhile. If you're not going to play the game, I don't think you have the right to make suggestions about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zexos said:

I would not like your suggestions for item improvement or for the freezing of clay in the winter.. Etc.

but for 3/4 of the year you could dig clay...

I get fed up enough as it is doing certain tasks, let alone adding more micro management to the mix. 

This is what MMO games are about to build dependencies and on top of them communities, if the game allows you to be self-sufficient, you will not find a community in it.

The main problem is that bringing more interactive features to wurm like mini games for example will not go down well because wurm's genre is afk timers/grind.  Why do you think people do not like the fishing system or even do not take much interest in the checkers mini game?   Because they are the odd ones out in a world that is based around timers.  And zoning out at your computer screen. 

You're forgetting the fact that I made it clear in the mini-game suggestion that the current game system remains unchanged. Only player who wanted it would use the mini-games, you would have a choice one day you could be very active using mini-games and other day you could play in semi-afk mode.

You would need to remove timers and make more of the wurm game interactive to change the whole of the game mechanics to make people want and crave even more interactive elements.  Because then interactive elements are the main foundation of the game.  

That is one option and 1st large modification that came to my mind after first hours of playing Wurm make it faster, but ok some people don't like it, so...

Second big idea was mini-games, so active player would be focused on single character and interactive actions.

My 3rd idea is client modification, it would add ability to command several characters in single game client, but there would be no need for mini-games or faster actions. You would choose whether you play as one, two or three characters and depending on how active you are going to be today, you would make right choice for yourself. Next day you could play just single character in semi-afk mode and that wouldn't break anything, your progress would just be slower than day before when you were playing 3 characters at once.

Some parts of these 3 big ideas would rather be mutually exclusive in terms of amount of work needed to be implemented by Devs, but 2nd and 3rd idea wouldn't break current game style only add new features and choice for every player.

I'm not saying that everyone has to play the way I like it, so in my opinion current features allowing you to play in the style that you think is right (semi-afk) should stay, I just wouldn't play in same style you are.

---

"Hides should be dried first (outside), before processing them into leather (as in the case of hay, rain can destroy them during that process). "

If this idea would be too difficult (or not very realistic) I suggest easier option. The rain would extend drying time by several hours. Assuming that rains fall more frequently in spring and autumn, in summer rains are rare and in winter snowfall would not be problem for drying, we gain 2 seasons when drying is very easy and two when it is possible, but takes longer.

Edited by Darnok

Armor

We have extensive armor customization options, but no one uses them, everybody are using full sets, we might as well have one armor slot and armors with few different properties at this point (I only write how players use armor, I'm not saying that such a change would be a good idea, on the contrary I like the division of armor into many elements, I just wish hybrid sets had a bonus in some situations as well).

I think I have already proposed remove ability of armor changes during combat. I still think it's a good idea, but maybe when removing and placing individual fragments action timers should appear instead?

The heavier the armor, the longer we take it off or put it on.
Cloth 2 seconds for each part and we lose 2% stamina for each action.
Leather and studded leather 4 seconds and 3% stamina.
Chain and plate 6 seconds and 5% stamina.

Getting on and off a horse or vehicle (except ships) should also be an action that costs time and depends on weight of the armor.
It's quite funny that the character in cloth armor gets on horse as fast as the one in the plate.

Cloth - 0.5 sec

Leather - 1.0 sec

Studded leather - 1.5 sec

Chain - 2.0 sec

Plate - 2.5 sec

(The time would be calculated similarly to the speed of movement if the player would wear items from different sets)

Tabard - usually an empty slot, but it could be used, for example, in winter and put on warm woolen clothes?

Bows and crossbows

In my opinion longbow should only be used by characters who are standing on the ground (except maybe ships).
How would you like to use this bow while sitting on your horse it is too long in real life? After all, even in the game it cannot be done so that the bow model does not collide with the horse model, so not only is it not realistic but visually it doesn't look good.

If the game absolutely needs a long range weapon for horse riding, add crossbows.

Medium bow should have a debuff if used from a mount or vehicle (except ships) no matter what kind of armor character is using.
A short bow was invented for shooting from the horse's back!

Light Crossbow - Can be used and reloaded from the horse's back, medium range and medium bow damage, no debuff while riding.
Heavy Crossbow - Can be used from the horse's back, but cannot be reloaded while sitting on horse or vehicle, so the player has one but very powerful shot, longbow range and 2x long bow damage.

Crossbows are not limited with minimum range, you can shoot standing next to your target, but reload takes long time.

Created from different metals, it would give different parameters like additional dmg, range and reload time and more dmg or range would be at cost of reload time.

Weapon slots

In my opinion character should be armed only when he is not in combat, while combat is on, he should only use the weapons that he has in the appropriate slots, thanks to this, it would be possible to get rid of one-man-army builds.

We have slots for two hands, a quiver, a backpack and a shield.

A shield should be displayed on the character's back when not in use.
Two-handed and ranged weapons as well would be visible on character's back while not used, because these weapons would need to be placed in the backpack slot (you have a choice of carrying backpack OR two-handed axe OR spear OR bow).

Hand slots would be slots for one-handed weapons and you could fill both at the same time, you would just have the option of using a right-hand or left-hand weapon with a shield during combat or fighting with two one-handed weapons (dual wielding).

It should be possible to put a two-handed weapon instead of one of one-handed weapon and a shield.

This approach would result in the following options/builds:

2x one-handed weapons, shield and bow (or crossbow)

2x one-handed weapons, shield and two-handed weapon

1x one-handed weapon, two-handed weapon, bow

There would be nice to have some buttons in the combat panel that would allow you to choose weapon, it could be a simple list like for special moves with weapons your character is armed with + ability to set keybindings.

--- EDIT ---

Weapon slots 2.0

It should be possible to change/drag weapons between character and inventory windows ONLY when:

- you are standing very close to your tent (and you haven't fought for the last 10 minutes)

- you are standing on your deed (and you haven't fought for the last 2-3 minutes)

If you do not use a ranged weapon and a quiver, you can add a bag in quiver slot with throwing knives or 3-5 javelins made of shaft + spear tip.

Further armor balance

The heavier the armor, the slower the character should hit.

Cloth - 0 sec (no changes)

Leather - +0.2 sec (your attack takes 0.2 sec longer for every weapon you use)

Studded leather - +0.4 sec

Chain - +0.7 sec

Plate - +1.0 sec

For the game to be balanced, player must have a choice: either to hit quickly or have good defense, you can't have everything at once, because then you might as well leave only plate armor and the rest is just decorations.

There are damage reduction and glance rate tables on the wiki, but they look quite random. Cloth has a better glance rate vs pierce than studded leather but weaker than plate, what does that mean? An arrow and a spear can bounce off cloth more easily than studded leather? Does cloth dodge easier, but plate is even better at it?

Similarly, damage reduction, studded leather is more difficult to pierce with an arrow than a plate, but leather protects you vs slash better than plate/chain/dragon scale?

Cloth has the best defense against mauls, but is worst against slash?

Some consistency in this data would be nice. Light armor should be relatively easy to cut with a sword, but heavier armor should provide slashing better resistance.

For arrows and bolts (from a crossbow), I suggest adding separate columns, because pierce dmg from a spear, and arrows should not be counted the same.

Light armor such as cloth, leather, studded leather, drake hide should be easier to pierce with an arrow, but more difficult with a bolt (not very realistic, but balanced, because one character will not be able to shoot every enemy from a distance).
Heavy armor chain, plate, dragon scale opposite, plate vs arrows should give 100% defense/absorption, that means armor takes damage on hit, but the character does not take any damage from arrow hits. However, you can pierce it with bolts, but crossbow reload should be so long that heavy armor should offer very good protection against ranged attacks.

Rock-paper-scissors-dual-wield

Aggressive fighting - from the wiki "higher damage is dealt (133% max) and two-handed weapon speed is increased by up to one second. However, defenses are reduced."

Ok, but if I hit harder, swinging the weapon takes longer, so

aggressive style should either increase damage and swing time (harder, but slower) and decrease defense

OR

increase attack speed, decrease defense and damage (hit faster, but weaker)

In my opinion, aggressive style should provide 133% damage bonus, but each attack should take longer +0.5-1.0 sec. and decrease defence

Normal fighting - Here, the only thing I found on the wiki is a description in one sentence that it increases CR and that was not on the page describing this fighting style.

If normal style has 100% damage and def, but increased chance of hitting it is fine, but I only hope this bonus chance is proportional to the bonus of aggressive style, which gives 133% damage.

Defensive fighting - Here we hit slower but we have bigger parry rate and better defence.

I propose a change,  attack speed is the same as for normal style, character skips even hits, but regenerates a few percent of the stamina instead of one hit (1st - hit, 2nd - regen, 3rd - hit, 4th - regen...).

Dual wield fighting - Adding a fourth style and icon to the UI. The style can only be activated if character uses 2x one-handed weapons.

Style allows you to make fast, but weak attacks (-0.5-1.0 second, default attack speed for longsword is 4 sec, with this style it would be 3.5 or 3.0 sec),

reduces damage of weapon to 80% (default for longsword 0.275, so 0.22 with this style)

and lowers the accuracy of hits a bit, but a minor one.

Weapon parry may remain default and same for both hands, not like it is at the moment.

UI

Under each fighting style icon in fight window, there should be 2 slots to which we can drag weapons from the character window.

Under ranged icon as well, that's where we'd put a bow, throwing knives, or javelins.

A two-handed weapon would occupy both slots, a one-handed weapon and shield only one.

If a player wanted to use the same weapon in more than one fighting style, he would drag same weapon under two different fighting styles icons.

During combat character by changing the fighting style would also be able to change weapon.

In fight window show character's CR (there is % chance visible after hover on each stance, but still CR as number wouldn't hurt anyone)... same as attack speed and damage of equipped weapon.

Player has to check wiki to learn how good is his weapon?

After hovering over an armor piece, I should see the damage reduction it gives me, it could be a single number or a table showing different values for each type of damage.
Understanding what's on the wiki in the tables is terribly tedious, and without clear data on how weapons and armor work, the average player won't understand combat, and without it, they won't like it.

--- LAST EDIT ---

Depending on whether we fight on foot, on horseback or on a vehicle, there should be different types of shields that the player can equip.

Vehicles (cart, wagon) - only small shields allowed,
mounts (horses) - small and medium shields allowed,
infantry mode - all shields allowed

Edited by Darnok