Sign in to follow this  
Drogos

Skill: Celestial navigation

The ability find your position on the map.

New items: Sextant (Previously suggested here:

Traied by: Like meditating, but no cooldown limits. You need to move to a new position 20+ tiles away from your last observation to have a chance for skill gain, but you can take multiple reading at same position right after each other at low skill to manually estimate a more correct position.

Effect: Will give a single dot on the map. The game would draw a virtual circle around your position with a radius based on your navigation skill. The dot will be placed at random position within the area of the virtual circle. Higher skill would mean a smaller radius for the circle.

Note: This skill should not be confused with potential cartography skill, but could be used as a support skill for it. This skill will not help new players get to know the game world, find place to deed, etc. So, existing suggestions for better maps and cartography skill is just as relevant with or without this skill.

• Like 5

I do like this idea. The circle of precision (which would not be shown, but should affect the mechanic) is a great way for skill to affect the result.

Not sure about repeated measurement. It might be simplest to just have the player's map show ONE special marker on the position of the last estimate.

Edited by Sheffie

yeah, for sure! It should only show last estimate. What I meant was that each time the skill is used, it would draw a dot at a new position (within that invisible circle). So, doing it lots of repeated times, one could remember the previous positions, and manually estimate where the center actually is.

• Like 1

Just now, Drogos said:

yeah, for sure! It should only show last estimate. What I meant was that each time the skill is used, it would draw a dot at a new position (within that invisible circle). So, doing it lots of repeated times, one could remember the previous positions, and manually estimate where the center actually is.

Sure. There's no harm in that. If players want to take longer, let them.

It was just the thought of trying to do the average in code that would be ... not such a good way for the devs to spend their time, I think.

So agree! The game itself should not have to worry about multiple readings, in any way.