Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's travel and exploration suggestions

20 hours ago, Nestangol said:

When you start moving you know where you are*, so pay attention where you are going. It is especially easy in Wurm, where world is made of squares. You have your compass there, even if you don't carry one. As long as you know where you were and which direction you were facing, you can always backtrack and/or estimate your location. If you just bother to notice what you are doing.

*You don't get randomly tossed to places unless you use Path of Insanity random teleport (plenty of fun actually that one). You spawned in certain place and after that, you moved yourself. So where ever you end up you have all the means to know your location already.

Are you arguing against the use of maps.. in general?

I know I'm not the only one who has made a mistake on server crossing and been completely mixed up about where I came out on the other side.

1 hour ago, Vorticella said:

Are you arguing against the use of maps.. in general?

I know I'm not the only one who has made a mistake on server crossing and been completely mixed up about where I came out on the other side.

No. How did you think that? Looking to build straw man? As for server crossing. I'm pretty sure you know this, but just in case: You knew where you started from and then crossed the server line. You will enter on the other server as if the map was laid next to the one you are leaving. Going from Harmony to Cadence for example. You travel east to server border and then appear on west side of Cadence. Your location is related to north/south location you had on Harmony before leaving the server. If you left from K32 in Harmony going straight east, you will appear in K1 on Cadence. 

That point cleared, I don't see how this matters at all to having deeds on the map. When you cross over to other server, you don't (barring couple exceptions) see deeds around you first. You see land, mountains, deserts etc. I'm repeating my original point. Don't limit yourself to looking for deeds only. Look at your surroundings and find your way from those.

If you absolutely must use deeds to navigate, then we have the highway system in game already.

• Like 1

Sailing should be a skill, a bit like prospecting, but with some extras.

The primary function of the sailing skill would be to detect storms, their directions, wind strength, icebergs, and ice floes.

Detection of storms would be based on the skill level, the higher level the earlier the player receives information about the coming storm. At the appropriate level (20), the message contains the direction from which the storm is approaching, at higher levels additional information, such as wind strength (40). At very high skill levels (60), the player could also receive information whether is there currently also a storm coming on the target map.

An additional function of the sailing skill would be to increase the speed and maneuverability of the ship, 1% per 10 skill levels.

The storms would originate at sea in during summer, and could travel and even reach land.
A player trying to swim through the storm would have to face two threats, one being lightning strikes that would strike the designated areas of the storm (they would be random for each storm). But the player would not go blindly, because looking at the mast of his ship he would see the St. Elmo fire. The brighter the phenomenon, the closer player is to the center of the area where the lightning strike can appear. Of course, for a boat that does not have sails, trying to sail through a storm is a suicide mission 🙂
The rowing boat should also be weak enough that one lightning strike could destroy it. As for the other ships, the numbers are a matter of balance.

The second threat during a storm are waves, if the ship is hit from the side, it may capsize. Players who traveled it are washed off the deck, but can save themselves and catch a damaged ship that will float for hours before it sinks.
The ship's entire cargo is washed from the cargo hold and floats around the ship, there are no proprietary rights, so time after storms is a good time for pirates to check the seas.
Some ships may be more prone to capsizing than others. The ship draft level should be important, so a ship that is great for shallow canals would not necessarily be good for open seas and storms.

Storms should reach land and damage unsecured buildings (those without roofs) and everything inside. They could also break some old trees and wash out random treasures, as well as spawn pirate mobs on the seashore.

Leveling sailing would be during the storm, each wave the player crossed would give skill gain, every avoidance of lightning, i.e. entering the danger area, seeing the fire of St. Elmo and escape also give you skill gain.

Another suggestion is icebergs and ice floe during winter. Both would occur randomly and move just like storms (as one large group of objects), a collision with an obstacle should damage the ship. Icebergs and the floe should also move as single object in random directions inside that large moving group, and avoiding them within a certain distance would give you skill gain for sailing maybe little safer way than going into storms.

Some of ice floe could have spawned seals and walruses on it. The walruses could be aggressive, but would not fight in the water, only the player would have to go to the ice floe to fight with them.
Going down on the ice floe would also give the player the opportunity to collect ice and arctic ice crystals using a pickaxe. Ice should keep food cool longer than snow in larder and also serve as decorations, could be carved like stone and after statue is done ice would never melted.
Arctic ice crystals when melted in a bowl, it would give exceptionally clean water, which could be used for washing wounds and for preparing dishes that require water, with an additional bonus. The crystal in conjunction with a Light token could be crafted into lamp that holds the light much longer than the spell normally does.
A crystal properly prepared, requires jewelry skill, and when used on a Hell Horse only during winter, it turns it into an ice version whose eyes glow blue and ceases to be aggressive.
The crystal used on the wolf turns it into an arctic beast, non-aggressive. Which can be tamed but requires a higher level than taming a normal wolf. After killing it, the player can receive an arctic fur that can be transformed into a helmet similar to a brown bear helm except that it looks more like the head of a large white wolf.

Edited by Darnok

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Sailing should be a skill,

Yes to this bit. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if you don't know which edge of the server you're on... consult a compass. Or look at the sun. Or compare the landmarks you can see with the existing in-game map...

Instant death for rowing boats (the first and only boat that most players make).

Loss of cargo.

I think you forgot the part about your animals in creature cages drowning.

3 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Instant death for rowing boats (the first and only boat that most players make).

Loss of cargo.

I think you forgot the part about your animals in creature cages drowning.

For several hours, the cages could stay afloat, giving the player a chance to save if his friends would come and giving income to pirates. The rules of PvE forbid many things, but the law of the sea could make it legal to take floating goods.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:07 PM, neopherus said:

Make the suggestion involve a new skill (cartography) and private maps and you might get my +1

Modified the original idea, better now? Well?

Edited by Darnok

Big -1

if you want pirates and storms go play sea of thieves. 

• Like 4

Another -1 to the OP. Dude, just give it up already and go find a game you actually like instead of spamming this game's forums with silly suggestions

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 3:36 AM, Sheffie said:

Yeah, if you don't know which edge of the server you're on... consult a compass. Or look at the sun. Or compare the landmarks you can see with the existing in-game map...

The map is not only a matter of finding your location, but also a tool to help you store informations, forcing the player to remember whatever he finds in the game is irrational, people have enough things to remember in the real world.

21 hours ago, brattygirl said:

Big -1

if you want pirates and storms go play sea of thieves. 

If the ships in Wurm are only for decoration, that's fine, but I thought players should make use of them.

On 7/6/2021 at 6:34 AM, Vorticella said:

Why?

I get why people wouldn't want their character name publicly listed with their location, but what difference does it make if it's just the name of the deed? I honestly truly don't understand why people are so prickly about this.

This.

I say tough ######, deal with it or go play WU if you don't want to interact with people in an MMO

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Can I ask, is there any part of the game you enjoy, or do you want it all changed? 

• Like 3

wurm rtx dx12 8k oohh

"..an option to 3D sculpt dirt to make hobbit housing without the need of 2d caves, this will force lotro to close doors."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atazs said:

This.

I say tough ######, deal with it or go play WU if you don't want to interact with people in an MMO

Players can and do interact, even when they are hermits or wish to remain in local. I'm not sure if you've been in the game lately but there are mailboxes and market stalls. You really should check them out.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Darnok said:

The map is not only a matter of finding your location, but also a tool to help you store informations, forcing the player to remember whatever he finds in the game is irrational, people have enough things to remember in the real world.

Nobody is forcing the player to remember anything. 

The game already features a map that lets you add annotations. It's also trivially easy to share information with people in your village and you alliance.

At the moment, Wurm has such a feature, but it is mainly used to add a chat and gives access to permissions. What if you let players who go hunting in a group level up faster? And for example, increase skill gain by 15% for the entire team, or by 3% for each player that is on the team that attacks the same NPC, but size of team would be limited.

never mind some boost, least seeing the health condition of the team members would be huge.. teaming up now is just literally pointless

• Like 1

It's not pointless. It's a player admin feature that's particularly suited to coordinating workforces, directing military units, or overseeing player-hosted events. It's particularly perfect for temporary groupings using people from different villages, or for mixed-language groups. It doesn't have skilling features because it already has core-functionality in diverse and complex communities. Discord does not cover everything. A Team is easy to create and to disband, without worrying about the overhead of roles and permissions.

• Like 2

So what you are saying is let's add something that can be abused? I'm just gonna log in alts to bump up my mains skill gain. What could be wrong with that system.....

1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

never mind some boost, least seeing the health condition of the team members would be huge.. teaming up now is just literally pointless

This would be a great add. Especially if you are taking a new player out to grind hunting and want to make sure they don't die.

• Like 1

you already share exp for the kills.. 

getting 3-15% wont cover the loss

making the bonus better just stimulates the idea to grab a cart/boat, fill with alts.. and go out hunting to optimize gains

• Like 2

The recent team feature is great if you are mining, digging, woodcutting, building or crafting together, as you have not to care for the effects of proximity ownership. So it is not true at all that teaming up atm is pointless. Btw. same in sermon groups using the same larder and fsb etc. There are many uses for teams. Not that I were completely opposed to improvements. Seeing the health would be a possible one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

you already share exp for the kills.. 

getting 3-15% wont cover the loss

Well, is this a good solution for an MMO? Then the skill gain for group hunting should be higher.
The team skill gain bonus can also work like that if a teammate dies, all players on the team receive a penalty and gain less skill gain for an hour.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

making the bonus better just stimulates the idea to grab a cart/boat, fill with alts.. and go out hunting to optimize gains

I've been thinking about it, and I would have solved it this way ...

Every NPC should have a rage bar (0-100% range). For each hit that NPC deals rage increases by 5%, for each hit that NPC receives from a single player rage is also increased by 5%, but if NPC fights with more than one player rage increases by 10% for each hit. So a 3 vs NPC fight would look like the first player adds 5% rage, the second + 10%, for a total of 15%, the third player adds another +10%, so after the first hit by each player, rage is 25%.

After exceeding 50%, the NPC gains the ability to AoE attacks, so if you have alts with the appropriate level of skills, armed and armored enough to survive the fight and after the fight you can treat each of them, I see no problem.

After filling the rage bar to 100%, NPC still is using AoE attacks plus gains a special ability and moves faster +10-20%, and the distance he is ready to follow the player should also increase.
I described few special abilities in another suggestion, except that there was an idea that they should be random, but you could get rid of randomness.
For example, a bear after reaching 100% rage would roar, deal more damage +50% for 2-3 hits and scare all animals in the area, as well as the ones the player leads.
The troll could deal more damage throw the player off the horse or vehicle.

After using the special ability, rage would decrease by 20%.

Killing the champions would be more difficult, but the reward for them should also be bigger, if the champion during the fight has reached a rage of 100% and no player died during that fight, after butchering players will find 1 trophy (champion's head) in each case, which can be hung in house, on a ship or a wagon.