Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rillio

Freedom Server Community Building Projects (New Map Inside!)

Hello everyone, I'm Rillio, an old Wurm player from the Jenn Kellon Home days, who has recently returned and has just stepped foot on the Freedom Server a few days ago.

I'd like to be your (Rillio) Community Project Leader if you'll let me.

Theres a lot of things we can do to make our server better, its up to all of us to pitch in, because I can't do it alone, but I sure will try!

All of the projects I'm about to mention will help every single one of you!

List of contributing Community Project members -

Lead - Rillio

Mappers - Rillio, Ripsipiirakka, KyleBooze

City #1 Contributer -

City #2 Contributer -

Highway Builders -

Canal Builders -

Merchant & Trader Placers -

So you understand how this works, we need to refer to real life. When people sailed the sea and came across unknown territory they made maps of the area, and they had maps of the sea called charts. This is the point where we are now, So this is the..

First Step #1 -

We will start with an updated accurate tile by tile pixel map of Freedom Server. This is the best type of map, as it being a tile by tile pixel map we can even add a key that says something like 200 tiles = 5 minutes travel time.

How you can help -

Start with your token or your house and map it tile by tile, covering your whole deed, then connect it to the closest road. To help even more you can map all the nearby roads and landmarks, ie lake, pond, neighbor's house. Eventually everything will connect on a large map of the Freedom Server. You can attach an image of your work to a post in this thread and I will add it to the map, and you will receive credit as a community helper, along with your name added to the bottom of the map.  Remember you just need Paint & Wurm open at the same time! If you have Windows 7 your in luck as you can use Aero Snap to snap Wurm to one side of the screen and paint to the other!

You can use Imageshack to upload your contribution to the map!

To show you all that I am serious about these projects and that they WILL help, I've already begun work on a map, that I'd like you all to refer to and use its Key, as you need to use the same exact colors. If you don't know how to use this and are using Windows operating system, you open up my map in paint and use the "Colorpicker" to "soak up" say a road tile color from the key, then zoom in all the way near a blank part of the map and work on your area. Each dot, represents a tile in Wurm. Remember to use the compass!

Right now the map is just the northeast, but will expand!

The map isn't blank you need to scroll to the right! The scroll bar is at the bottom of my post! :P

freedomservermaprillio1.png

Step #2 Starting Cities -

When people had maps of the area they all started gathering together in one area, creating inns etc, and when merchants, & traders arrived, they started to become cities.

Our next step is harder than the last one. We need to start two cities. Yes, you heard me right, Cities.

- We need to take into account that Samling is the starting point for everyone, and because it is intentionally not meant to be a good starting place, we can't use it, we can only use it as a reference point.

What this means is that we start our first city close to Samling, it won't be the major city, but its use is to essentially replace anything Samling has to offer.

It needs to be the starting city for new players! This is something that has been talked about in other topics.

We need to all pitch in for the cost of these cities! This won't be easy.

City #1 -

Heres what we do, we create a size 15 deed at a nice location, close in proximity to Samling.

I will work on drawing up plans for each city as well as helping to find the location.

It will have a dock, an inn, Traders, Merchants etc.

We will connect it to Samling with a very nice highway road, as flat as can be so you don't get hurt traversing it, with signs along the way, telling you where you are heading "insert city name here, down this road x tiles, x minutes." Basically directional signs and anything to lure people away from Samling, it has to be truthful things though.

Now I know Aegis had supposedly tried to be the "main city" near Samling and didn't have much luck.

This means we have to create some fail safes.

The mayor of this city needs to be someone who doesn't plan to quit Wurm, and plays often. Preferably someone who has paid for at least a year of Wurm and has a good reputation.

I'd propose we vote on the mayor, as well as the cities' name as this is a community effort and project! When we get to this point I will create forum polls.

We need to make this city just better enough that it will lure people away from Samling.

City #2 -

Our next and final community project city will be the capital city, the main city of the Freedom Server, and since this will be the main city, its location will be in the middle or close to the middle as possible of the Freedom map.

The reason we need a capital city is mainly because of location, it being in the center of the map will be useful to ALL players. And with highways making it accessible, it will be the main place to go to.

The name and mayor again, same as the last city will be voted on.

The deed will be at least size 20 or better.

We need to set up, many merchants and traders, inns etc!

A nice highway will be built directly from the first city to this one, as flat as can be so you don't get hurt traversing it, along with signs leading you away from it, directional signs and anything to lure people away from the first city, it has to be truthful things though.

We need to go all out on this city, and make it the best place to go to for anything, it has to be better than the first city and Samling.

From this point onward we now will have a map, and main city. Two things that will greatly benefit everyone. Just think how many new players we could have from our efforts as well!

How you can help - We will first need donations for the deeds and upkeep, you can post what you will contribute in this thread. You can donate whatever you like, even 1 copper! Every little bit helps.

Step #3 (Final Step) Highways, Canals, Merchants & Traders oh my!

The last step is this...

Highways need to be built heading in all directions from the main city, all the way to the edge of the water of the mainland, as flat as can be so you don't get hurt traversing it, and they all need to be straight or as straight as possible. Reason being is that it will help the city prosper, help everyone travel and be to everyone's benefit! Think of things like the United State's Old Route 66!

Canals need to be built, and current ones need to be finished. All large bodies of water need to be connected to the ocean, for boat travel.

Merchants & Traders need to be placed in sectors all over the map, along highways. (Sometimes it would be useful to have a certain item, but no wait there isn't a merchant or trader around), having them close by will help everyone!

Our projects after this, will start with being

Helping individuals with their land -

A sort of community service to people who need help, whether it be building a new road, chopping down trees, or flattening land. New players will receive the most attention, and will be taught how to do things as well, so they learn.

Please post your thoughts, ideas, opinions, and contributions.

If you don't like some of the projects, but like some of the other ones, we could still use your help, you don't have to work on any particular project you don't want to! If you want to help with the first city, but think the second is a bad idea, fair enough! Each of the projects are meant to be steps to help the freedom server, many people really like the idea of having a map, and some people don't because they don't want their area to be shown, because they want to be private or are afraid of grief. But its really tough luck as for all I know there aren't any rules that say we can't do these projects, and its to help not harm, so the intentions are good.

If you think you could be a good contributer or you know someone who could be, please contact me!

Thank you all!,

Rillio

Very nice plan. However i think the sizes of those deeds are abit... big.

Maybe size 20 for 1st step and 50 on 2nd. Not like we need size 50 for first of the cities :P

I could use some help with the image as when you save it and try opening it, and zoom in, the quality is a mess. I'm not sure how to fix this, if anyone has some insight I'd be greatful!

You should save it as PNG or something because if you save it as JPG it goes all blurry and stuff.

I'm using Imageshack, they don't resize it ;) Try that one.

Was good till I got to the part that said CAPITAL CITY... then i lost total interest... a map is one thing useless cities another... Bad enough we merchant city...

Please explain why you think the capital city will be useless, as I will revise the plan if need be!  ;)

Wonderful work on Silent Hill Rip! Thank you! :D

Yes I have seen it, only after I started working on this, but was thinking we could combine them once they reach one another, and Shiny had suggested maybe doing a palette swap. Only thing is, while the deed AOC feature on that project is nice, I don't want it on this particular map, if anyone wants to add it and have a separate version thats fine as well!  ;D Would be nice to have two different maps, as not everyone is looking for the AOC of deeds, but some are! I'm thinking we will end up with a map that has the deed AOC, ie FRAM, and one that doesn't (Community Building Project's.) I forgot to mention that in my maps final form I plan to add it to Google Maps, so we can identify things, without ruining the map. Theres also been talk of a 3D map as well although I'm not sure if I'm heading that or not. In any case I plan to finish my projects as best as I can with or without help.

roadmap2.png

Here's a piece from Noriyah thru Mist, to Silent Hill... I'll get some more of the roads in the area tomorrow...

(btw the orange is unpaved or unattached parts of the road, we have still been unable to make a path from Noriyah to Mist but will be working on it...)

well you have alot of energy  but I dont think it is very realistic given  the population of the server  and what allready exists.

what your talking about is hundreds if not thousands of work hours  you want two brand new  relativly large cities built from scrach and thats not including this mass of roads.

now maby if you were rich and could brute force a project out of nothingness then you might have a shot  but most people are allready established  and there are allready  cities that  seem to fit the bill,,  halcyon  seems to be a defacto central city (thats not to say that there arnt some other  nice city concentrations) 

what I sugest is being much more realistic in your project scope  assume that you will be doing what ever your doing alone or  maby with 1-2 others unless you hire help.

Its true that some of the projects won't be possible on my own, and thats why its for the community, by the community. Most of it won't happen unless the community wants to help, we need people to pledge what they will work on, or what they will donate. That way we don't try to start working on it until it seems more realistic and we know we have enough help, and the funds available. Now the places you had mentioned I'm not sure that they are for the community as a whole, if they are I can revise the plan. Our server has a small population, but we can only work with what we have, and if enough of the current population doesn't want to help, we will just have to put parts of the project on hold that can't be done until there are enough people who want to help.

We DONT need a captol city in my mind now that the official trading spot have been made, that will be a natural place to go anyway.

The pixelmap, well i like the player made one that already are done. It gives the right feeling to a map, it doesnt have to be 100% on the tile correct to work as a map.

Cant see a point to make a new map or any of the cities suggested, come up with a better reason and i might change my mind but as it is now i wont help with anything i dont belive in.

Another thing... WHO will pay for the deeds ? If its playermade it should be payed for by players and the same with the upkeep!

Project FRAM uses layers, he can disable AoC rendering with the click of a button and upload a separate image.

This thread is kinda pointless really.

Project FRAM uses layers, he can disable AoC rendering with the click of a button and upload a separate image.

This thread is kinda pointless really.

Agreed...

Like I recommended, point your efforts and enthusiasim over to project FRAM which is already very well organized and well on its way.

It supports what you want to accomplish in mapping and more...

By making yet another "community" map project you are in effect splitting the community.

Its not like your map will be better then FRAM's. Its the same damn map. Combine efforts and make us a good map.